British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Excited yet?? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/excited-yet-675924/)

lisamct Jul 9th 2010 5:16 pm

Excited yet??

Ok, so this is the most common question I'm being asked about heading over to NZ in a few weeks.."are you excited yet?"

I have a few stock answers along the lines of 'yeah of course just busy" but in reality excitement is pretty far down my list of emotions most of the time.
I am happy and excited and I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing but really I'm mostly stressed, worried, anxious and knackered most of the time.

It seems like people cant understand that its not the same excitement as going away for a few weeks holiday. Its more like sticking a few of the most stressful things you'll ever do in life into a big bag, shaking it up and tipping it over your head!

Just hoping I'm not alone in feeling this way. I'm hoping that once the rest of my list starts to get ticked off I'll start to relax a bit and start to feel something a bit more like excitement...here's hoping anyway :fingerscrossed:

JohnThePom Jul 9th 2010 10:30 pm

Re: Excited yet??

I'm getting excited, usually in short bursts at random moments. To me this is all part of the fun, I'm excited at the thought of breaking out of my rut. Whatever happens I'll have achieved that even if only for a few months! :thumbsup:

I don't feel stressed at all, except at the thought of job interviews - I hate exams and programmers are often tested nowadays as part of the interview process. :thumbdown:

WP

DennisBergkamp Jul 9th 2010 10:42 pm

at least you can say you tried something different and have no regrets

thats an achievement in itself

good luck

i got a work to residency sorted nearly so i should be there by the end of 2010!

JohnThePom Jul 9th 2010 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by DennisBergkamp (Post 8690176)
at least you can say you tried something different and have no regrets

thats an achievement in itself

good luck

i got a work to residency sorted nearly so i should be there by the end of 2010!

Good on yer!

Perry Groves Jul 10th 2010 12:48 pm

It's the final countdown!:thumbup:

Persephone Jul 10th 2010 1:20 pm

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 8689553)
Ok, so this is the most common question I'm being asked about heading over to NZ in a few weeks.."are you excited yet?"

I have a few stock answers along the lines of 'yeah of course just busy" but in reality excitement is pretty far down my list of emotions most of the time.
I am happy and excited and I'm pretty sure I'm doing the right thing but really I'm mostly stressed, worried, anxious and knackered most of the time.

It seems like people cant understand that its not the same excitement as going away for a few weeks holiday. Its more like sticking a few of the most stressful things you'll ever do in life into a big bag, shaking it up and tipping it over your head!

Just hoping I'm not alone in feeling this way. I'm hoping that once the rest of my list starts to get ticked off I'll start to relax a bit and start to feel something a bit more like excitement...here's hoping anyway :fingerscrossed:

Well that all sounds pretty normal! I felt excited at first but as the date of departure came closer I felt more numb I suppose, I just wanted to get it over and done with and start the new life in NZ and not have that time to think about it all too much [ too late by then to start thinking]. So stressed, worried, anxious and knackered would probably cover it. I was quite organised and I had about a week when my list was all ticked off, the leaving do's were all sorted and everything was all in place and I just felt trepidation and an urge to get it over and done with, especially those final farewells:cry_smile:
I consoled myself with the fact that I wouldn't have got this far unless I was certain that I had to give it a go;)

Jewelie38 Jul 10th 2010 5:01 pm

Hi there, The answer I have is yes but don't think that will set in till we're actually on the plane. I'm trying really hard to not get too stressed but as we are in the process of selling the house and our flat I find it really hard in trying to tie up on all the dates so in the end I thought sod it....and booked the flights.
So here we are with half the house in boxes, the flat is empty and it's contents are here in the front room with our 2 year old trying to play with her toys around it.....lol
The two elder children keep asking about their new school and where we will rent and if they can have a puppy etc, etc.....I certainly will be greyer by the time I get to NZ....hehehehe :D
Julie

witty Jul 10th 2010 8:25 pm

I found it the most stressful thing I have ever done to be fair. It does actually get better though. :) I have been here 7 weeks now and the more time that passes the better it gets.

Lynne sinclair Jul 10th 2010 8:56 pm

Yep feeling all of the above mentioned, worrying if were doing the right thing, how will the kids settle, were lucky in that were moving to be close to OH parents but then I'll have to say good bye to mine..not good! They will come out for the summers tho! Were about to apply for residency visas as my husband is a kiwi so its such a long drawn out, expensive process, I guess folks wishing to move to N.Z. must be fully committed, its not for the faint hearted eh!! Had my medical yday, hope the bloods come back ok, was well behaved on the wine front prior to tests lol! Xrays next week! I find it so strange that we have to put our life in photos for the application clearly married for 12yrs and 2 kids is not enough?? Weve sold our house & pony (very sad day!), still trying to rehome my 2 cats, as soon as visas come thru we'll be off, hope to be in CHCH Oct but may be closer to Xmas depends on how quickly we get visa's assuming we get them....!!:fingerscrossed:

Perry Groves Jul 10th 2010 9:07 pm

Yes, it is a rollercoaster of emotions. I want to go so much, but then all the friends are sad, and I hope I will be able to settle. Plus starting work, new food, new expressions to learn! But I feel like a magnetic force is drawing there, and the force gets stronger daily!

Dewb09 Jul 10th 2010 9:52 pm

I know exactly what you mean I feel I should say "yes I am very excited" but to be honest the excitement was very high last year & even earlier this year. Now its crunch time its really really scary :eek:and I am dreading the goodbyes especially to my older children :broken_heart::cry_smile::cry_smile:

But as others have said I would rather live with having given it ago and it not working out than the regret of never trying.

Dewb

RobDon Jul 11th 2010 4:54 am

Originally Posted by Perry Groves (Post 8692242)
Yes, it is a rollercoaster of emotions. I want to go so much, but then all the friends are sad, and I hope I will be able to settle. Plus starting work, new food, new expressions to learn! But I feel like a magnetic force is drawing there, and the force gets stronger daily!

Its is a well used phrase but I think everyone experiences a rollercoaster of emotions ;)

lisamct Jul 11th 2010 11:34 am

Thanks everyone, I'm so glad I'm normal (well in this instance anyway, cant guarantee it the rest of the time :D )

I do get moments of excitement, real 'jumping up and down' type excitement but still a bit too bogged down with all the rest of the stuff for them to last too long. Hopefully as everything else gets done and sorted the excitement can start to kick in for real.

londonescapee Jul 11th 2010 11:58 am

:D

Hello yes I completely relate and totally sympathise. And everyone going 'oh no we will miss you it is sooooooo far etc etc' which doesn't really help I don't think :rofl:

We too are surrounded by packing boxes now, arguing over what stays and what goes - and I'm escaping a conversation on HMRC to come and post instead! It is fits and spurts of 'wow this is happening how amazing the biggest adventure ever!', and then mainly 'lordy what has to be done next?', whilst trying to concentrate on getting through the last few weeks at work. And then mixed in with that is incredible sadness at leaving family and friends behind (my two best friends have just had their babies :(), to the point where I start bursting into tears at the drop of a hat (and I am not normally a boo hoo-er!), and then terror that I will suck at my new job in NZ :eek: Going into pubs with the dog and thinking 'oh no, this will be my last time for a long time here, there etc'. Trying to appreciate things that little bit more.

But underlying all of it is the conviction that it is absolutely the right thing to do for both OH and me and that everything does work out ok in the end regardless of where we end up. I think as others do, once we are sat on that plane we will finally, finally be excited :thumbsup:

Wishing you all the best in the last few weeks :fingerscrossed:

zoexr Jul 11th 2010 6:16 pm

It's 5 weeks today until we fly out, I packed up on Thursday, completed on the house on Friday and I'm now in my parents in laws spare room, sat on a garden chair with a slowly deflating airbed in front of me.
I don't think exciting is the word. I'm sad, tired, apprehensive and just want it all over and done with.
To top it off I stink of deep heat because I pulled my back when I was packing and sleeping on a crap mattress on the floor in the last night in my old house...
But, 'she'll be alright' I think the Kiwi saying is... :D