British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Excited and petrified (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/excited-petrified-792472/)

tallguy78 Apr 1st 2013 11:12 am

Excited and petrified

Hi all. I'm a single 34 year old guy and have been seriously looking in to moving to NZ. It seems everytime I come to the conclusion that this is definitely what I want to do a little doubt sets in but I think this is nerves. I travelled a little last year including NZ and I really fell in love with NZ. Would like to settle in a decent sized city but near to the country etc so have decided Wellington if all things worked out. I'm a graphic designer (on skills shortage list) and have an IEP Working Visa which If I found employment would turn in to a work to residence visa. I suppose basically I wanted a little advice, maybe encouragement from people who have also made the move and also felt the conflicting feelings. Of course I will miss friends / family but if it worked out as I hope it will, the excitement of meeting new people, in new environments which provide a better lifestyle is so enticing. Of course it could all go wrong, meet no-one or I could miss people and I think this is the only thing that stops me from packing and going. I have looked at cost of living and it seems similar to UK (I'm from Birmingham) maybe a little more expensive in NZ so this isn't an issue really. Like I said it would be good to hear off people who felt the same and their outcome/experience and any tips etc. Thanks, N

Sherlock Holmes Apr 1st 2013 11:25 am

Re: Excited and petrified

Originally Posted by tallguy78 (Post 10634575)
Hi all. I'm a single 34 year old guy and have been seriously looking in to moving to NZ. It seems everytime I come to the conclusion that this is definitely what I want to do a little doubt sets in but I think this is nerves. I travelled a little last year including NZ and I really fell in love with NZ. Would like to settle in a decent sized city but near to the country etc so have decided Wellington if all things worked out. I'm a graphic designer (on skills shortage list) and have an IEP Working Visa which If I found employment would turn in to a work to residence visa. I suppose basically I wanted a little advice, maybe encouragement from people who have also made the move and also felt the conflicting feelings. Of course I will miss friends / family but if it worked out as I hope it will, the excitement of meeting new people, in new environments which provide a better lifestyle is so enticing. Of course it could all go wrong, meet no-one or I could miss people and I think this is the only thing that stops me from packing and going. I have looked at cost of living and it seems similar to UK (I'm from Birmingham) maybe a little more expensive in NZ so this isn't an issue really. Like I said it would be good to hear off people who felt the same and their outcome/experience and any tips etc. Thanks, N

Hi there and welcome to the NZ forum. :)

I can't comment too much on NZ as I'm in Oz but I suppose the potential fears are the same.

No one can really make your mind up for you. I knew I was leaving the U.K., put my head down and got on with it.

If you are close to your family then prepare for grief. (But don't let it stop you doing what you want).

I will leave the local residents to comment on the cost of living compared to Birmingham.

Enjoy B.E. :)

grantanddebs Apr 1st 2013 5:53 pm

Hi mate,

I came to NZ in 2004 all by myself. I knew no one and arrived with $2000 to my name. I've never been back to the UK since and im all settled down with an awesome partner and 2 wonderful kids!

I really missed my friends and family for the first couple of years and it wasnt an easy time, but once I weighed up the idea of going back against staying in the NZ, there was a clear winner every time.

I've seen many people come here and do nothing but moan and compare against the UK and they always end up leaving, but if your prepared to come here with a positive outlook to a great future then you'll love it.

All the best, Grant

Catchafire Apr 1st 2013 7:59 pm

Its natural to have "WTF am I doing?" moments, if it was easy, more people would do it.

34 is good age to be, you should have your a good head on your shoulders, your CV will have some mileage, so you will be very employable.

I left the UK, 33 years old travelling solo with a one way ticket to Bangkok, never made it back to the UK, took three years to land in NZ. My life has been extraordinary ever since.

Remember, its your life, so you owe it to yourself to go and live it. Good luck and happy travels, let us know how you are getting on.

ChrisWilson7 Apr 1st 2013 9:43 pm

Hi. I'm 28 and three days from moving to Christchurch on my own but I know it is the right thing to do, well thought over and clearly explained to family and friends who are right behind and very happy for me (give them time if they don't initially like the idea, sometimes that is all they need) - I will miss them sorely, but am ready to face that and give myself time to move past anything difficult surrounding that, plus I will have Skype and a Christmas visit to fall back on there. I have already lived away from them for years, so that experience also helps because on a basic level it is little different except that the time between visits will be longer. I have contacts there and a church to go to which will help me, so personally that will make a big difference. I know it may go wrong, it's not irreversible if that happens and as well as yourself I have a long life ahead of me still, but accept that and am ready to go. If you have contacts there that can help a great deal, and if you're like me you'll suddenly discover once you tell people you are thinking of going that they will tell you one of the following; they have lived there, travelled there or know someone as a contact there!

The 'what am I doing?!' moments are totally normal and I think it wouldn't be normal not to have them (!), but if you know it's right and are at peace in your heart and mind to go then you can ride through them together with the support of others. My view (and mine is just one view) is that you need to consider what is right for your life thoroughly, check that over with those you can confide in and trust to advise you well (because it simply helps to get it out of your own head), and then make your own decision in your own time. I wish you the very best in reaching that decision.

Boopy Apr 2nd 2013 5:36 am

Hi & welcome,
I'm in Wellington, just a little north of the city up the coast. Been here 7yrs now & love it. Wellington is ideal, you have the city for night life, you have the coasts with many many beaches, you have the Wairapapa for countryside just an hour away.
We had good jobs in UK, so there were many WTF moments & are we doing the right thing..... Life is a gamble, but it's also what you make it wherever you are. Wellington is a friendly city, you will make friends. If it's what you want you will make it happen :)

M_and_M Apr 2nd 2013 6:48 am

I am just about to move to NZ a week on Friday, I have been up, down, up, down, all perfectly normal.

But, you only live this life once, there is no dress rehearsal, so go for it!

Read the blog (in the footer) to see my journey so far.

M_and_M Apr 2nd 2013 6:48 am

I am just about to move to NZ a week on Friday, I have been up, down, up, down, all perfectly normal.

But, you only live this life once, there is no dress rehearsal, so go for it!

Read the blog (in the footer) to see my journey so far.

madao Apr 2nd 2013 7:34 am

I turned 33 yesterday and arrived in NZ exactly two years and three days ago. Absolutely no regrets leaving the UK and no desire to go back.

I'm also in Wellington and as previously said its a great city with lots to offer in and around the area. Iv not made many friends though as work has been hectic but sure it will come in time. The missis has though so it is doable.

Best advice when you move is not to compare it to the UK. You've been to Nz before so already have an idea of the country. If however you turn up expecting NZ is the UK with more sun, as I expect many people do reading the posts on this board, then you will be disappointed.

Lifestyle wise I know this is the better place for us hands down.

Assanah Apr 2nd 2013 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by grantanddebs (Post 10635124)
Hi mate,

I came to NZ in 2004 all by myself. I knew no one and arrived with $2000 to my name. I've never been back to the UK since and im all settled down with an awesome partner and 2 wonderful kids!

I really missed my friends and family for the first couple of years and it wasnt an easy time, but once I weighed up the idea of going back against staying in the NZ, there was a clear winner every time.

I've seen many people come here and do nothing but moan and compare against the UK and they always end up leaving, but if your prepared to come here with a positive outlook to a great future then you'll love it.

All the best, Grant

With this kind of attitude you might as well move to North Korea! I say, keep an open mind. Give yourself 2 years or so and then assess your situation also allowing yourself to decide to move back! I have seen too many older people who have been living in NZ a long time and now (kids being away, house paid off....) feel trapped in NZ, longing to go home, to travel, to feel connected, have a cultural and intellectual life but for whatever reason are not able to move back.

Tom1983 Apr 2nd 2013 10:54 pm

Originally Posted by tallguy78 (Post 10634575)

You're from Birmingham

NO BRAINER!

You may have difficulty with people understanding you. The wife is from Walsall and has to explain a few things to Kiwis. Most of the time its in jest although you do get some kiwis that have the mindset of a british national party supporter

Surely the thought of not having to hear someone from Dudley again would be enough encouragement to come over (apologies if you or family have ties there)

Good place to come, plenty of positives and Emirates fly to Birmingham so you don't have to consider London when returning. It's a cracking country - similar to Cornwall/Devon but with a population half the size of London

Just don't compare to the UK. Think of it as a new country, new experiences.

tallguy78 Apr 25th 2013 10:13 pm

Thanks guys for the feedback. Greatly appreciated and comforting to know it is perfectly normal to have these conflicting feelings. Still weighing and pricing things up at mo. Tom1983, I will work on the pronunciation then as I too am from Walsall. Thanks for the heads up. Yowm bostin!