Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Excited but apprehensive

Excited but apprehensive

Old Jun 13th 2007, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

Ulsterman will become famous soon enoughUlsterman will become famous soon enough
Default Excited but apprehensive

The Bell family from little old Northern Ireland will be arriving in Wellington in August. After a quick recce at Easter we've decided to take the plunge and go for it.
Both my wife and I have been lucky enough to secure employment and I'm confident we'll really enjoy it. The apprehension comes about because we have two teenage/nearly teenage monsters (girl 14 - going on 20 and a boy 12) . I was just wondering if there was anyone else who made the move with children of a similar age and what they would recommend to help the monsters settle in. We've used everything from bribery (you can drive when you're 15, I'll buy you a kayak etc.) to threats of disinheritance! Grateful for any suggestions or experiences (both good and bad) you'd care to share.
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:00 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Excited but apprehensive

Originally Posted by Ulsterman
The Bell family from little old Northern Ireland will be arriving in Wellington in August. After a quick recce at Easter we've decided to take the plunge and go for it.
Both my wife and I have been lucky enough to secure employment and I'm confident we'll really enjoy it. The apprehension comes about because we have two teenage/nearly teenage monsters (girl 14 - going on 20 and a boy 12) . I was just wondering if there was anyone else who made the move with children of a similar age and what they would recommend to help the monsters settle in. We've used everything from bribery (you can drive when you're 15, I'll buy you a kayak etc.) to threats of disinheritance! Grateful for any suggestions or experiences (both good and bad) you'd care to share.
We moved around Britain with 4 kids and every move was usually accompanied with a bribe of some kind! Only have the girl with us now as the boys are grown up. I think she has really come out of herself since moving here last October. She was busking yesterday! She would never have had the courage to do that in the UK!
I would be selling the outdoors lifesyle and sport angle.
Good luck!
Karen B
Old Jun 13th 2007, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Ulsterman
The apprehension comes about because we have two teenage/nearly teenage monsters (girl 14 - going on 20 and a boy 12) . I was just wondering if there was anyone else who made the move with children of a similar age and what they would recommend to help the monsters settle in. We've used everything from bribery (you can drive when you're 15, I'll buy you a kayak etc.) to threats of disinheritance! Grateful for any suggestions or experiences (both good and bad) you'd care to share.
Hi there, we are going for our recci in 6 weeks, we have 15 and 10 year old boys, so we are in a pretty similar position as you guys. I do like your style regarding the bribery, must admit it probably has to be done to a certain extent!! I think our oldest son will be fine as he will have to make lots of descisions here or there having just finished his GCSEs, but our 10 year old has alot more to miss, mainly football, but also all the other clubs and friends etc.
Once they start school, everything will fall into place.
Good luck with everything, but kids adapt far quicker than us and what a great thing to be doing as a kid!

Cheers Jads
Old Jun 14th 2007, 7:14 am
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

We came out with four kids, they are now 9, 11, 15 and 16. The eldest two probably took the longest to settle. That was probably due to the fact that they had lived in the same house back home for the whole of their lives and had a very large circle of friends. Coming here and knowing no-one was hard for them but they had each other. Once they started school, within a few weeks they were out and about and now they are very happy with lots of friends. It does take time and effort on their part but well worth it in the end.
Old Jun 17th 2007, 4:32 am
Just Joined

lizGd will become famous soon enoughlizGd will become famous soon enough

Mine is only 10...and not the sportiest kid on the block, but has had chance to join lots of sports clubs, lots of stuff with school etc, sure it'll be the same for you...
Are you planning to live in Wellington, or suberbs?
(I'm 20 mins out of town towards Porirua...think maybe easier for youngsters to be in smaller town, more chances of getting to know people...same for us grownups!! too!)
Old Jun 17th 2007, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Ulsterman will become famous soon enoughUlsterman will become famous soon enough

Thanks to all for the kind reassurance. I'm sure your all correct and the children will settle in very quickly.
LizGd - we'll be living in the Wellington area, whether it's suburbs or city we haven't decided yet. It'll probably depend on schools, handiness to work etc. Currently scouring websites for suitable rental accommodation which seems quite pricey in central Wellington anyway.
Old Jun 18th 2007, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Tango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really nice

Hello

Been here 5 months now (out from London) never been here before. We love it kids have fitted in really well. Just keep an open mind its not UK and its easy to try an compare and put a downer on things. But we have found everyone really friendly and the country is beautiful.
Good luck in your new life

John
Old Jun 18th 2007, 8:44 am
Just Joined

Cool Re: Excited but apprehensive

We thought about trying to find a rental before we arrived, but waited..due mainly to indescision...and it only took a week once we'd landed before we moved in! The 'berbs are much cheaper...and the rail links into the city from both the Hutt valley and Porirua direction (which is where I live...) are regular, cheap and reasonably reliable.
When are you hoping to be here?
Old Jun 20th 2007, 6:02 am
Just Joined

Thanks John.
LizGd - Flights booked and we'll be arriving in mid August. I hope the Kiwi winter will have begun to relent a bit by then.
Schools, as with jobs look like being in central Wellington. So it'll be a choice of premium rental prices for handiness or a commute.
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:02 am
Just Joined

Personnally I'd go for commute, and live in the berbs...the high school in Tawa (which is where I am?) has a good reputation!
Old Jun 20th 2007, 7:41 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by karonious
I would be selling the outdoors lifesyle and sport angle.
Good luck!
Karen B
Crikey - that would have the very thing that would have ensured I refused to go with my parents!
Old Jun 21st 2007, 4:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

garryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of lightgarryhg is a glorious beacon of light

hi glad to see someone else as apprehensive as us were going out mid july oh has job in aukland,we have 2 kids 13,and 6 there both looking forward to this but has cost us a lot in bribery too.e mailed the schools tyo make them aware of us coming over,theyve replied so thats fine, my problem now is how the hell im going to be on the flight,have to take valium to go to majorca thats only two and half hours from us..any suggestions
Old Jun 21st 2007, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

Tango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really niceTango1 is just really nice

Have to grin and bear it with the flight, unless you have the cash to go first class. I was awake for 26 hours, as my son could'nt settle so I had to stay awake to look after him. We went for a hotel for a few days when we landed so I slept for a day.
I'm in Auckland (North Shore) hope all goes well for you and yours.

Regards

John
Old Jun 21st 2007, 8:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Hi there!

We arrived in Blenheim 6 months ago with a 13 year old boy and 15 year old girl. The girl has found it REALLY HARD. Leaving behind a large circle of pals and attending a single sex school here:

I would say BE PREPARED!!! She has had some ups and downs and 6 months in things are just slowly getting better. WE went to LA on the way here which was a huge mistake, she spent the whole 3 days there upset as it all suddenly hit her.

We arrived in the school holidays which was bad planning as she didnt get exposure to friends for a month!!!!

My son has settled much easier but then he hasn't had the academic struggle in transferring from GCSE to NCEA!!!

Good luck, pm me if you want and keep us posted!!!!
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 9:05 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

My eldest is 12, nearly 13 and TBH she has stunned us with how well she has adjusted. In the UK, she was in Year 8, so 2nd year of senior school. When we got to NZ she was still in year 8, but at primary school.

I attended parents interview evening (as they call it here) this week and was very impressed both with the school and our daughter's attitude to such a massive upheaval.

I have to say, knowing Frenchy and her family, I am thankful that we haven't had to go through what they all have ( not too sure I'm as resilient as you are hun!) and think it's more down to luck than judgement that we got here when we did. It's enabled our kids to break themselves in gently in a much more protective environment than what would appear to be on offer at High School ( well OUR high school at least!)

Good Luck to you & yours

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.