British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   that exchange rate again (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/exchange-rate-again-628738/)

Jan n Neil Sep 2nd 2009 9:57 am

that exchange rate again

it hit 2.4 tonight on HiFX market watch - yes I'm trying to stay awake :rofl:

We did our sums on 2.5 but at least it's not so crap as last week -2.34 at its worst.

Tip: I think if you are transferring money NZ to the UK you better move now. Hopefully for us emigrees to NZ anyway :fingerscrossed:

127luton Sep 2nd 2009 10:06 am

Re: that exchange rate again

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7896587)
it hit 2.4 tonight on HiFX market watch - yes I'm trying to stay awake :rofl:

We did our sums on 2.5 but at least it's not so crap as last week -2.34 at its worst.

Tip: I think if you are transferring money NZ to the UK you better move now. Hopefully for us emigrees to NZ anyway :fingerscrossed:

Thanks for the heads up Jan and Neil
xxx Berni
xxx

GinnyB Sep 4th 2009 11:52 am

Unfortunately, for me anyway, the NZ$ has strengthened again. I'm looking at houses and my bottom line is getting lower and lowere!!!

adamlt1972 Sep 4th 2009 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil (Post 7896587)

No offence, but what makes you so sure the rate is n't going to head back above 2.5, where it was a few months ago? Historically its been at or above that level, and got up to towards 2.9 a year ago.
For all us amateurs second guessing this is so difficult, especially in these turbulent times. From what I've been reading the drop in rates last month had something to do with dairy prices being so good for NZ farmers, yet when more good prices for NZ farmers came out this week the rate went the other way and moved up above 2.4.

Jan n Neil Sep 4th 2009 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by adamlt1972 (Post 7903864)
No offence, but what makes you so sure the rate is n't going to head back above 2.5, where it was a few months ago? Historically its been at or above that level, and got up to towards 2.9 a year ago.

My original post said that I think it IS going back up - except for today :(, hence if you are transfering money from NZ to the UK you should do it soon, as 2.5 (+) would be worse for you, that's what I meant

and therefore anyone with funds in the Uk waiting to transfer will benefit from a rise to 2.5+

adamlt1972 Sep 4th 2009 12:47 pm

Ok, apologies, but its just so difficult to tell what's going to know what's going to happen with it that I've given up trying to guess the situation.
If the stories currently circulating about the relative speed of the economic recoveries are anything to go by, then you'd expect interest rates to rise in NZ first, and therefore the rate to drop even further, but the change in rates over the past couple of days seems to say otherwise.

GinnyB Sep 4th 2009 1:01 pm

I've decided to stop looking at the exchange rates until I've got a date to fly!

adamlt1972 Sep 4th 2009 1:14 pm

I've been trying to ignore it ahead of needing to transfer money next year when I want to buy a house down here, but I cant look at the BBC website without checking it out.