British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Excess baggage - any recommendations (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/excess-baggage-any-recommendations-671955/)

lardyl Jun 10th 2010 10:43 pm

Excess baggage - any recommendations

Hi All

we're off to the UK for our first overseas trip from NZ in the next few weeks and it seems that we will need to bring back far more than our meagure baggage allowances.
Anyone used an excess baggage company they could recommend?
Searching the forum seems to show up older threads.....

Thanks in advance,

The Lardies

PS just got me tickets for Blondie and the Pretenders, should be good if Debbie "turns up"...... :D

sirplug Jun 11th 2010 2:05 am

Re: Excess baggage - any recommendations

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8625275)
Hi All

we're off to the UK for our first overseas trip from NZ in the next few weeks and it seems that we will need to bring back far more than our meagure baggage allowances.
Anyone used an excess baggage company they could recommend?
Searching the forum seems to show up older threads.....

Thanks in advance,

The Lardies

PS just got me tickets for Blondie and the Pretenders, should be good if Debbie "turns up"...... :D

When we came over on 1 way tickets, my bags were 12kgs over weight and when the wife and kids came over, via Hong Kong, they were about 8 kg per bag, over.........don't think they're that bothered on the last leg of the trip!

Are you at the footy club for the match on Sunday am??

lardyl Jun 11th 2010 5:12 am

Originally Posted by sirplug (Post 8625526)
When we came over on 1 way tickets, my bags were 12kgs over weight and when the wife and kids came over, via Hong Kong, they were about 8 kg per bag, over.........don't think they're that bothered on the last leg of the trip!

Are you at the footy club for the match on Sunday am??

might be - as I am not sleeping well at the mo, and if I can get a pass out - what time is the KO?

but it could depend on what happens for me on the pitch on Saturday - we're playing the yellow devils who last time out landed me with 3 weeks of physio.....

:fingerscrossed:

sirplug Jun 11th 2010 10:52 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8625716)
might be - as I am not sleeping well at the mo, and if I can get a pass out - what time is the KO?

but it could depend on what happens for me on the pitch on Saturday - we're playing the yellow devils who last time out landed me with 3 weeks of physio.....

I'll come and watch and grab a beer while having a laugh!:p

Kick off is 6am Sunday

lardyl Jun 13th 2010 2:00 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 8625716)
....but it could depend on what happens for me on the pitch on Saturday - we're playing the yellow devils who last time out landed me with 3 weeks of physio.....

another 3 - 5 weeks off for me - I was only chasing the old geezer down to make a tackle when whoops there goes the hamstring.......:thumbdown:

Mgee Jun 13th 2010 6:50 am

For us it was cheaper to use economy parcel post than even the unaccompanied baggage service, but we didn't come from the UK. Might still be an option worth checking out. The parcel took about 2 weeks to arrive, was a bit bashed on the outside but all contents were OK. MAF had opened it, possibly because we had some kitchen things in it (no food) which may have had enough residual food scent for the MAF sniffer dogs to mark it.

lardyl Jun 13th 2010 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by Mgee (Post 8629531)
For us it was cheaper to use economy parcel post than even the unaccompanied baggage service, but we didn't come from the UK. Might still be an option worth checking out. The parcel took about 2 weeks to arrive, was a bit bashed on the outside but all contents were OK. MAF had opened it, possibly because we had some kitchen things in it (no food) which may have had enough residual food scent for the MAF sniffer dogs to mark it.

thanks - I did a bit of checking and I found the same in the end - there's another thread on it somewhere in the Aussie forum.

I think that the Parcel Force economy service is the cheapest at about 150 quid for something up to 20kg, isnured for 500 pounds, depending on the size of the parcel.

Seems to be cheaper than the excess baggage companies and airlines - as we are flying with two airlines then the excess baggage on a "piece" type system could get messy and costly.