Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

EWRB questions....

EWRB questions....

Old Apr 28th 2016, 6:21 am
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute
Default EWRB questions....

Hi all, sorry not posted on here for ages so I hope you're all well. We've been in Auckland a year now and loving it

But to the point of my post. DH is a uk qualified electrician and after lots of toing and froing he's got a letter from ewrb inviting him to apply for limited licence and do the level 3 and regs courses. All good, but he Fanta ply for a limited licence without having supervisor. He's working now, but in a different field so has no supervisor. He's wanting to just work towards the exams and then go from there. He spoke to ewrb today who said he can't sit the courses without the limited licence and he can't get the limited licence without a supervisor. So it's looking like he's going to have to try and find someone to take him on at apprentice level and give up his job. That will mean lower wages and no more company van until he qualifies.

But I don't understand why it has to be that way. It doesn't appear that he has to submit signed off work sheets or anything to prove that he's working as a trainee electrician, so I'm not sure why he has to do that? Plus we've yet to find someone that doesn't want a fully qualified and licensed electrician.

So seems to be a catch 22. Just wondered if anyone had been in this situation and how they dealt with it? Google tells me lots of people ask the same question, but there never seems to any follow up on how they resolved it

Thanks!

M
Old Apr 28th 2016, 10:23 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EWRB questions....

Hi, hubby got a job as an electrician before we moved to NZ. He did the necessary courses with the EWRB. It is essential that he works as an electrician whilst doing so. The regs are different and the way in which sparkies work in NZ are totally different too! I know it was frustrating for my hubby as he knows his job very well and felt that he was going back on himself whilst training again. He knew more electrically than the guys he worked with in NZ but still had to train and I think at one point was actually running a team of sparkies.

I would probably try the bigger companies as they are willing to take electricians on from the UK. I must warn you though that the pay is terrible. Hope this helps.