Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Everyone wants our money!

Everyone wants our money!

Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:40 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Everyone wants our money!

Hi there, I'm on a rant again!

So we move here a few months ago. It's hard. The bills start rolling in . It seems everywhere I turn there is someone wanting money from us. Took my little one to look around her new school. I was taken into the office and told that schooling is not really free in this school. They have asked for a $450 voluntary contribution and that it is so important we pay this so that the other children do not suffer having piano lessons etc taken from the school.

My hubby had to re-new his practising licence with the EWRB. We gave them our details for our savings account (which is international) because we haven't the funds here to pay. Instead of taking out $90 they took out $2,048 by mistake. They have told us it will take a week to get the money back into the account. the bank have also charged us a $61 transfere fee.

Will things get any better
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:54 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Everyone wants our money!

Oh no ! That's dreadful. Have you nagged the bank regarding a specific date when the money will be repaid ? Ask for a refund of the fee as a gesture of goodwill especially as you might have lost interest due ? Nothing to lose if they say no.

We're broke until payday next week, as for this Friday's grocery shopping - don't go there.

Today I got an invoice for a payment of sponsorship money that I agreed to. One dollar per lap of the local velodrome. The girl doing it was about 12, I thought she'd do about 10 laps then go home. Oh no, the invoice is for $83 ! Which I'll gladly pay but

Maybe not as maddening as your situation but I did listen. Oh, and never stop ranting, it's what this site is for !

Last edited by Snap Shot; Aug 21st 2013 at 12:56 am. Reason: read first post properly
Old Aug 21st 2013, 12:57 am
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Oh no ! That's dreadful. Have you nagged the bank regarding when the money will be repaid ? Ask for a refund of the fee as a gesture of goodwill. Nothing to lose if they say no.

We're broke until payday next week, as for this Friday's grocery shopping - don't go there.

Today I got an invoice for a payment of sponsorship money that I agreed to. One dollar per lap of the local velodrome. The girl doing it was about 12, I thought she'd do about 10 laps then go home. Oh no, the invoice is for $83 ! Which I'll gladly pay but

Maybe not as maddening as your situation but I did listen. Oh, and never stop ranting, it's what this site is for !

Oh my goodness $83! She did well! Just seems to be one thing after the other have you enough food to eat?
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:01 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
Oh my goodness $83! She did well! Just seems to be one thing after the other have you enough food to eat?
Yeah, don't worry. I'll sort it. No, it won't involve any 'favours' either ! We're not at the, 'food bank' or Sally Army stage.

It's more my frustration, yet again, that living on one income is no joke because I'm having difficulty getting a job and therefore second income for household finances.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

kiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond reputekiwigeordie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=pippalonghorn;10861067]Hi there, I'm on a rant again!

So we move here a few months ago. It's hard. The bills start rolling in . It seems everywhere I turn there is someone wanting money from us. Took my little one to look around her new school. I was taken into the office and told that schooling is not really free in this school. They have asked for a $450 voluntary contribution and that it is so important we pay this so that the other children do not suffer having piano lessons etc taken from the school.

Don't forget that this is a voluntary contribution. If you do decide to pay (and there's no compulsion to do so) ask the school if it can be done in instalments throughout the term.

Meanwhile, hang in there, it will get better once you're settled.

BTW This advice will cost you $50. My invoice is in the mail

Pete

Last edited by kiwigeordie; Aug 21st 2013 at 1:42 am.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Most people pay the school contribution in installments (or not at all) - my kids' school is still sending out reminders even now - I think they've collected about half of it so far....

also, most schools which require a uniform also have second hand uniform available if you get in early.

But being short of cash certainly takes the shine off being here!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:26 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as already pointed out it is Voluntary so don't pay it or let them bully you into paying. Piano lessons is not part of the required curriculum so tell them to ask those parents to pay for it.

I pay for my daughters piano lessons and do not pay school fees. Pay enough for all the odds and sods they continue to ask for through out the terms so not paying that as well

also make sure the other lot that took out the wrong amount of money pay the fees and tell them its their mistake and a week is not good enough and any further fees will be for them to pay
Old Aug 21st 2013, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

My hubby had to re-new his practising licence with the EWRB. We gave them our details for our savings account (which is international) because we haven't the funds here to pay. Instead of taking out $90 they took out $2,048 by mistake. They have told us it will take a week to get the money back into the account. the bank have also charged us a $61 transfere fee.

Unfortunately you feel like you are being bled dry left, right and centre!!! ....I don't remember paying for so many extras back in the UK, maybe its the same I don't know as I've been away too long...

But as others have said...it is voluntary...if you haven't got the money don't worry about it.....There is always something to pay during the term, glue sticks, trips, books, glue sticks, pens, pencils, glue sticks, colouring pencils oh and did I mention glue sticks to stick pieces of paper into a book that you have just brought....What's that all about? Annoys me so much...if they want to use printed work, why not just put it in a clear file or ring binder & reuse each them term/year.....It would save a lot of money for all parents, maybe then we would be more willing to pay the voluntary fees.

As for the horrendous mistake at the bank...how the hell can they mistake $90 for $2048????? ask them to pay the charge you have incurred as a gesture of good will.....

Good luck Chin up
Old Aug 21st 2013, 3:46 am
BE Enthusiast

chc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond reputechc4me has a reputation beyond repute

At least BritishExpats is FREE !!!!

The 'voluntary' school fees are a constant bugbear, as is all the extras mentioned by Pixiewinkle. On the other hand, schools just don't get enough funding from the Govt so need extra from where ever they can get it. We are in a user pays society .... btw, it happens in the UK too (see this article).

Did you ask the school if the $450 is the full year 'voluntary' contribution or is there a reduced amount since you have only been in NZ for a few months? Also these school donations are tax deductible so get a receipt and claim the tax back.

I really hope things start to improve for you PippaLongHorn. In the meantime, rant away!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:02 am
Looking for my marbles.

[QUOTE=kiwigeordie;10861136]

Don't forget that this is a voluntary contribution. If you do decide to pay (and there's no compulsion to do so) ask the school if it can be done in instalments throughout the term.

Meanwhile, hang in there, it will get better once you're settled.

BTW This advice will cost you $50. My invoice is in the mail

Pete
put it on my tab!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:10 am
Looking for my marbles.

Oh thanks everyone. Think I might tell them I can't pay the contribution. She starts school in sept so they want $250 plus $50 trip fund. After Xmas they want $450 plus $100 trip fund.

I have e-mailed the EWRB and they said that if I can give evidence of bank charges they will refund our account. I have printed off the statement and posted it. Going to scan a copy too and e-mail them it.

Feel ready to take the world on now.

I've had a thought Pixiewink... I might just donate a bag of glue sticks to the school instead! bet that'll go down well.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:26 am
Forum Regular

pixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud ofpixiewink has much to be proud of

Oh thanks everyone. Think I might tell them I can't pay the contribution. She starts school in sept so they want $250 plus $50 trip fund. After Xmas they want $450 plus $100 trip fund.

I wouldn't even mention the donation...I just would pay the $50 for the trip when it comes up!!!...

I have e-mailed the EWRB and they said that if I can give evidence of bank charges they will refund our account. I have printed off the statement and posted it. Going to scan a copy too and e-mail them it.

Great news!!!!

Feel ready to take the world on now. Good on ya

I've had a thought Pixiewink... I might just donate a bag of glue sticks to the school instead! bet that'll go down well.
They may think that's just sarcastic!!!!
Old Aug 21st 2013, 4:29 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=chc4me;10861239]At least BritishExpats is FREE !!!!

Yay!!!!!

The 'voluntary' school fees are a constant bugbear, as is all the extras mentioned by Pixiewinkle. I love that PIXIEWINKLE....I truly do...i'm not being sarcastic....I may just change my user name to that...
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

It's voluntary! Don't pay it! .. I told them I could not afford to pay ... The school secretary then helped me sort out other payments I didn't really have to pay.
Old Aug 21st 2013, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

marblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond reputemarblep has a reputation beyond repute

$450?!?!?!?!?! where the heck is that school? Auck primary schools ask for a donation of $120 maximum. Don't pay it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.