Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Everyday" costs in NZ

"Everyday" costs in NZ

Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Everyday" costs in NZ

Originally Posted by simonsi
Did you read his post? Seems somewhat financially astute to me....
Yep,read his post...surprised? Just wanted to point out that money is important and there might be a problem with an attitude about money not being important, expecting to earn less but then wanting to study wanting to do this and that. I am not able and not willing to predict whether or not TommyLuck will be able to afford a decent standard of living here. I sure hope he will. But I am generally not a fan of these 'money doesn't matter' attitudes. True you can't take money with you but neither will you be able to take your family, friends, country, garden, pets etc. with you. What is left then?
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Assanah - You've not heard about the significant increase in tuition fees at English universities starting this September, I presume?

I came out with a £15k student debt, plus overdrafts to clear, I graduated in 2004. An average student with the same 'full loan' that I took out, ten years later in 2014 is estimated to graduate with £30k to £40k debt, which is frankly shocking.

It has a minor benefit of stopping all the mickey mouse qualifications, but that is quite a hit before you've even started your career.
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

Cornishkiwi is an unknown quantity at this point

When I say I earn more I'm not comparing apples with apples. I have a better job here! Moving from rural Cornwall to Auckland the opportunities are better ( as you would imagine!).
Old Aug 17th 2012, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
Yep,read his post...surprised? Just wanted to point out that money is important and there might be a problem with an attitude about money not being important, expecting to earn less but then wanting to study wanting to do this and that. I am not able and not willing to predict whether or not TommyLuck will be able to afford a decent standard of living here. I sure hope he will. But I am generally not a fan of these 'money doesn't matter' attitudes. True you can't take money with you but neither will you be able to take your family, friends, country, garden, pets etc. with you. What is left then?
I'm feeling somewhat patronised.

Apologies if you find this post equally as patronising.

Let me put it this way ... I'm by no means rich. I'm not a homeowner and don't even own a car.

But I have manged to get to a stage in my life whereby I paid my own way through university, cleared my student debts, have paid for a wedding, managed to have a couple of holidays a year and still get to a stage where (and I've done the maths on this) ... I have enough saved that I could move to NZ, flights, shipping costs and all and live in NZ for 12 months without a job.

Not that I would do that. It'd drive me nuts. Hello, boredom.

Perhaps, bearing this in mind, along with emigrating I could use this as an opportunity to do a vocational qualification in order to change my career to do something more rewarding.

Im sorry if some of that come across as crass and as if I'm patting myself on the back, I did say I felt patronised. To suggest I don't realise the 'importance' of money is laughable.

My point, which I thought I made clear, was that I'm not moving to New Zealand to make money. I've done that living in London and I'm more than willing to earn less, quite a bit less in order to (among other things) improve my family life, which currently consists of seeing my daughter for about 2 hours a day Monday to Friday. Whilst paying £800 a month for her Childcare.

I realise the value of money, I just don't care if my nextdoor neighbour owns a Ferrari and is holidaying in Bora Bora ... If that comes to me then great, I'll enjoy it.

If it doesn't I'll make my own enjoyment with what I've got.

Money, by definfition, is important. Making money and worrying whether I'm going to get paid in NZ what I get paid in UK is a misnomer for me.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Aug 17th 2012 at 11:59 pm.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 12:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Cornishkiwi
I'm not comparing apples with apples
Not heard this saying for ages, now I've head it twice in a day!!
Old Aug 18th 2012, 12:23 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you guys sure that by moving to NZ WILL (necessarily) put you on a lower wage? Surely it can't be like that for everyone otherwise there's something weird in the maths. If you look it up, the average salary of someone in the UK is very similar to the average salary of someone in NZ. So if someone in making less than they did in UK, then surely someone else must be making more (law of averages)? Or am I completely batty?
Old Aug 18th 2012, 2:11 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I am generally not a fan of these 'money doesn't matter' attitudes. True you can't take money with you but neither will you be able to take your family, friends, country, garden, pets etc. with you. What is left then?
What a truly intelligent comment. The oft quoted refrain you can't take it with you was heard by me at an early age. I didn't quite get it as you can't take, as you say, a lot of other things with you either. However, your synopsis is quite correct.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 3:09 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Just finished my Master at a UK uni and had a look at the unis here and don't think it is way cheaper. In Germany it is way cheaper as it is basically for free but not NZ. I think it is expensive to study here.
Oh well, I pay approx $5k per year here for undergrad- the same course in the UK would now cost me GBP9k- approx $18k.
Old Aug 18th 2012, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
What a truly intelligent comment. The oft quoted refrain you can't take it with you was heard by me at an early age. I didn't quite get it as you can't take, as you say, a lot of other things with you either. However, your synopsis is quite correct.
I've grown up in a family that never had much to spare, I'm sure others on this board did too.

But I had a top, top childhood.

Therefore, money, to me, isn't a priority. Of course one makes sure you've got enough to get along with and to do things one might like to do. But we can't have everything. But I make no apologies for thinking about what I might want to do when I get to NZ, some of it may not come to fruition, and that's fine.

It's funny when I go to mates houses and they're stocked full of the latest gadgets, a high spec TV, a bed that could sleep 4 people, a top of the range Apple Mac, and then they spend the first half an hour in the pub bemoaning thier debts ...

What ever happened to working towards and saving up for the things we want?
Old Aug 20th 2012, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Are you guys sure that by moving to NZ WILL (necessarily) put you on a lower wage? Surely it can't be like that for everyone otherwise there's something weird in the maths. If you look it up, the average salary of someone in the UK is very similar to the average salary of someone in NZ. So if someone in making less than they did in UK, then surely someone else must be making more (law of averages)? Or am I completely batty?
FYI... I am on a better wage here than I was in the UK. I work in IT. It's not as much of a commodity here compared to the UK, hence the wages on average are higher (in my opinion). They're even higher in Oz....
Old Aug 20th 2012, 8:38 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say earlier on that lower wages haven't been the situation for us- in fact lower wages in the UK put us off returning- but then I knew I'd get replies pointing out that my husband had undergone further training in NZ to get that better wage. Which is true, but those training opportunities and career fast tracks weren't available in the UK; in some ways, in some work areas, NZ remains a bit of a land of opportunity for some people, albeit it one with frustrations and sacrifices.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by davros1984
FYI... I am on a better wage here than I was in the UK. I work in IT. It's not as much of a commodity here compared to the UK, hence the wages on average are higher (in my opinion). They're even higher in Oz....
I knew I should have paid more attention when learning about computers and stuff.

Though I work in publishing (what with online publishing and now eBooks) my IT knowledge is basic. My best mate (and best man) is a proper geek, I never caught the IT bug like he did.

It makes sense though, if businesses in New Zealand need to do any sort of work with people overseas, good reliable IT is a must, one would think.

Last edited by TommyLuck; Aug 20th 2012 at 9:18 am.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 9:59 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

His post screams "financially aware" to me, not "money doesn't matter"....IMHO (did you miss the part about having $60k unearned income over the next 3yrs?? Many NZ students would kill for that, many students worldwide come to that).
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:05 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
good reliable IT is a must, one would think.
Sorry but speaking from within, the Global IT industry makes its money because, on the whole, IT is neither good (or not good enough), nor reliable.
Old Aug 20th 2012, 10:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Ah, a bit like my Rugby coach, an oncologist by day. What happens to his job when he, or someone cures cancer ... ?

Imagine being the oncoloigst who make all other oncologist jobless.

Of course, I jest.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.