Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"Everyday" costs in NZ

"Everyday" costs in NZ

Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:31 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: "Everyday" costs in NZ

Originally Posted by Justcol
But until I came to NZ I'd never seen the "put the price up by 3 dollars on last
weeks price then put a special sticker on it to make you think its actually
cheaper" trick
But that's exactly what they do here! Probably didn't explain it well but that is what ALL big supermarkets do here. I'm not arguing about the expense of things in NZ but don't think the big supermarkets don't use those tricks in the UK.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:34 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Bo-Jangles - that is absolute gold. Thank you very much.

phyns - you're follow up was useful too. Not bought a pair of ladies hush puppies yet this year ...

Seriously. This is seriously helpful, just so I can get an idea really and know what to expect.

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
Food is bound to be 15% more expensive here, as there's GST on it, whereas there is no VAT in the UK. But that doesn't explain the big difference in meat, and particularly cheese n bread. Cheese in particular is big disappointment here, a lack in variety and expensive to boot.
Your GST point is a very good one. I hadn't considered that this might even occur. It's easy to forget that 'essential' food items are not subject to VAT in the UK.

Having said that 'luxury' food items are subject to VAT so if one stocks up with (for example);

Cereal bars
Fruit juice and/or cordial
Ice cream
Any chocolate covered biscuits
Potato based crisps

Remeber these are at 20% VAT too.

But still. The majority of most of us keep this shopping for treats.

Of course there is the famous case of the Jaffa Cake's in the UK - despite it's name, it was sold as a biscuit which are subject to VAT. Cakes however, and for some reason, are not.

So McVitie's went to the EU to try and change the food status of the Jaffa to remove the VAT, claiming it is a cake.

Their evidence;

Jaffa Cakes go hard when stale (like cakes, of course), biscuits go soft.

They won.
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

dannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond reputedannigirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
But until I came to NZ I'd never seen the "put the price up by 3 dollars on last
weeks price then put a special sticker on it to make you think its actually
cheaper" trick
http://www.which.co.uk/news/2012/05/...pecial-286103/
Old Aug 15th 2012, 11:44 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dannigirl
But that's exactly what they do here! Probably didn't explain it well but that is what ALL big supermarkets do here. I'm not arguing about the expense of things in NZ but don't think the big supermarkets don't use those tricks in the UK.
Agreed.

This piece of marketing never get's me. If anything is on offer I check the detail thoroughly. My old man works for Tescos and warns me of the new tricks.

Another classic of this ilk is offering 2 litres of a drink, let's say Coca-Cola for £2, regular price. I don't drink it (without Rum), unless I have a hangover. Black asprin is the best. I just checked the price online.

Whilst in another part of the store people are buying up a 'deal' of 2 500ml bottles for £2.20.

The epitome of false economy. This deal offers LESS product for a HIGHER price.

Sometimes the price of the 2 500ml bottles might be something like £1.50, but still a massive slice false economy.

This was just an example, I've seen the same thing with healty products as well. Certainly now there is a bit of a drive to get healthy after the olympics - but don't get me started on so-called 'health products' ... grrr ...

Are supermarkets bad, or are people stupid ... ?
Old Aug 15th 2012, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I stand corrected
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:08 pm
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

Yup, food is extremely expensive in NZ.

re other costs, here are some examples :-

6 mths supply of contraceptive pill $130
Latest annual rates bill (4 bed house, central Auckland). $2.850
Pub meal for 2 (one drink each, garlic bread + main). $60 - $70
Water bill - quarterly (2 people) $150
Cleaner (2.5 hours) $92
Night's accomodation for weekend away -motel. $150 for room
Car insurance - per year. $850
Visit to GP (central Auckland). $50
Shoes - decent, leather. $150 - $200
Books - very dear. $30 - $50
Cinema ticket - weekend. $18

Australia is a lot cheaper relative to incomes for everything other than housing (Sydney, Melbourne).

Unfortunately NZ was a very affordable place to live when I first arrived in the late 90's (I remember Petrol at $0.70 per litre), but costs now going through roof whilst incomes & opportunities have been static for the past 5 years
Old Aug 15th 2012, 1:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Over $35 an hour for a cleaner

Mum owns a cleaning business, scrap what I said about leaving my family. For that she'll probably come over as well!!!
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dumbledore

re other costs, here are some examples :-

6 mths supply of contraceptive pill $130
Not here, $29 for mine ($26 for a GP appt and $3 for the script)
Old Aug 15th 2012, 7:56 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Have been to Fruit World & bought fruit & veg there only to then go onto our local Countdown & find it cheaper there. I don't think the quality is any different to the supermarkets at Fruit World on the whole.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 12:18 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Dumbledore

Unfortunately NZ was a very affordable place to live when I first arrived in the late 90's (I remember Petrol at $0.70 per litre), but costs now going through roof whilst incomes & opportunities have been static for the past 5 years
Agree. It's got steadily worse since we've been here.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 4:31 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Hello,

I just wanted to get a non-biased, insiders view of the everyday "costs" of living in New Zealand.

By and large I want to avoid the argument of "you can't get PG Tips out here and the equivalent brand costs more and tastes rancid".

I'm not bothered about that. I love a good food shop and in any case, my food needs are fairly simple, I make most stuff from scratch. My family and I are (supposedly) boring and don't eat a great deal of bread, sugary food, cereal, dairy, saving the naughty but nice stuff for meals out. I'm more likely to bake than I am to buy confectionary.

I often hear the observation that food, in particular is more expensive in NZ. When I've visited, we're pretty much always staying with friends and family and always go on shopping trips to chip in and get some additional bits and pieces. I can honestly say that I never thought it was more expensive. So where does this oft quoted view come from?

And if anyone does find it more expensive are these costs outweighed by other day to day/month to month expenses, such as; The NZ version of council tax, water rates, energy bills, petrol, home insurance, medical care, car insurance, the NZ version of an MOT, Sky TV ... anything else you might consider as a regular cost?

Once weighed up, is it possible that in fact the "cost of living" in NZ is in fact negligible to the UK.

I'm looking for your experience of actual cost, i.e. NOT relative to earning potential, etc, as all of the costs I mention don't take in to account earnings

Cheers,

T
Unless your sole source of income is from the UK I don't see the point of that ? Everything is relative to income: it's all about purchasing power and how long you have to work to buy an standardised item. You should be looking at things like the Big Mac and iPod indexes.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
Unless your sole source of income is from the UK I don't see the point of that ? Everything is relative to income: it's all about purchasing power and how long you have to work to buy an standardised item. You should be looking at things like the Big Mac and iPod indexes.
Simply put, and not to put a finer point on it - I wont be earning what I earn in the UK.

Therefore I am looking for a fresh appraisal of what things cost as I don't know what I'll be earning in NZ, although I can have a rough guess, it's pointless comparing the earning:spending ratio as I don't do that now and never have done, hence asking for 'actual cost'.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 9:30 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Simply put, and not to put a finer point on it - I wont be earning what I earn in the UK.
Right.... of course not.

Therefore I am looking for a fresh appraisal of what things cost as I don't know what I'll be earning in NZ, although I can have a rough guess,
and that would be?

it's pointless comparing the earning:spending ratio as I don't do that now and never have done, hence asking for 'actual cost'.
Good luck matey.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

As a rough guess - the household will be taking in 110-125k NZD.

All I'm looking for is a normal weekly shop might cost, what average motoring costs might be and how much it might cost to run a reasonably sized family home with internet, Sky TV and a phone line.

Clearly these things vary from town to town, depending on where you live and what car you drive, whether you have insulation. And whether you like to eat lots of cheese, or not.

As per my OP; your experience of what things cost.

I'm simply looking to manage my expectations of everyday costs, not how to budget.
Old Aug 16th 2012, 10:53 am
Forum Regular

Dumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud ofDumbledore has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by lisamct
Not here, $29 for mine ($26 for a GP appt and $3 for the script)
BTW - if I call the GP up and ask her to mail me a prescription for the Pill, that costs me $15 !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.