Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Estate Agents Stingy With Info

Estate Agents Stingy With Info

Old Dec 23rd 2012, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

Tourvel is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Estate Agents Stingy With Info

Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a planner! So I have been trying to line up houses I want to see in NZ as soon as I hit the ground. But looking online at agent listings I can't help but bang my head on the keyboard in frustration at the lack of information given on the listings. Not only that, the photographs leave much to be desired - one listing may say 'new kitchen' and show nothing but photos of the sheds ...

I am being too picky here?

Also .. what IS it with all the sheds? My OH is a Kiwi born and bred and he certainly goes all misty eyed at the thought of a shed ..
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Estate Agents Stingy With Info

Estate agents are bottom feeding scum, dont believe a word that comes out of there slimey lieing mouths

Neil

Just my opinion
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tourvel
Ok, I'll admit it, I'm a planner! So I have been trying to line up houses I want to see in NZ as soon as I hit the ground. But looking online at agent listings I can't help but bang my head on the keyboard in frustration at the lack of information given on the listings. Not only that, the photographs leave much to be desired - one listing may say 'new kitchen' and show nothing but photos of the sheds ...

I am being too picky here?

Also .. what IS it with all the sheds? My OH is a Kiwi born and bred and he certainly goes all misty eyed at the thought of a shed ..
You'll probably find that those *sheds* are the actual houses. They just call them weatherboard homes here - hehe.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute

The estate agents over here seem to be very ruthless, not a pleasant bunch at all. What got us was the amount of houses with no price, we just stopped looking at houses if they weren't priced, it's bloody pointless, I haven't a clue why they do it. It's as annoying as job adverts with no mention of money, they're a secretive bunch about money.

I've found out how much these Paracites charge for selling a house and doing open homes, it's a bloody rip off. If I ever sell my house I'll be doing it on my own.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

davros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond reputedavros1984 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by barnsleymat
The estate agents over here seem to be very ruthless, not a pleasant bunch at all. What got us was the amount of houses with no price, we just stopped looking at houses if they weren't priced, it's bloody pointless, I haven't a clue why they do it. It's as annoying as job adverts with no mention of money, they're a secretive bunch about money.

I've found out how much these Paracites charge for selling a house and doing open homes, it's a bloody rip off. If I ever sell my house I'll be doing it on my own.
Out of interest how much do they charge? I've only heard crazy numbers on it. I've only met 1 or 2 normal estate agents, the rest seem to think they are celebrities. Can't stand how they put their faces everywhere - really don't get it.

You're spot on regarding the no price auction only crap. Maybe normality will return one day.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:01 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
Estate agents are bottom feeding scum, dont believe a word that comes out of there slimey lieing mouths
Harsh on bottom feeding scum.

It's a tough job and seems to attract the type of people who would lie to make sales. Their reward system tends to favor turnover rather than holding out for the best price, in many ways is you pay a real-estate agent a fee it should be based on your expected selling price (GV+ maybe) and how much more than that he or she can get for you. Selling a house is easy, adding value to a sale take skill.
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tourvel
Unless it is a "Boat" shed in which planning permits adds value I have no idea.

As for the estate agents who proclaim to be "professional" this can not be achieved by such a short term training structure and such easy entry requirements.

A profession requires more formal study and a high entry bar to maintain any sense of professional standard.

No one I know uses an agent anymore. In a good market the house sells itself. In a bad market why are you selling?
Old Dec 23rd 2012, 10:28 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

must say our experience is much the same as the UK. one estate agent here was all about the sale and couldn't really give a monkey's what we were looking for, another couldn't do enough for us and worked 7 days a week and long long hours.
Also have to say our mortgage broker was great and helped us through the mortgage report as there was a lot of information and a few differing costs of house and until it was put more into layman's language by the broker we had no clue which was relevant one.

Must say the process here isn't as drawn out as UK and the legal side does seem to be on the sellers side, So you really do need to put as many days on the contract to complete as possible or you could get caught out with compensating the seller if you pull out.

Some estate agents say contracts can be done in as little as 5 days but I had a brilliant solicitor and she would only agree to 15 which was lucky as the council report got lost in the mail and took 12 days to get to us. also don't be fooled into handing over a large deposit, apparently that is what the estate agent takes their money out of, again my solicitor was good and said if the seller agreed we could put down as little as a $1.
One thing we found very frustrating is the lack of room sizes, they just don't seem to do them.

We found being honest and friendly with the estate agent, finding one you feel happy with and then using only them for any of the houses on that particular company a great way to get to see houses quickly.
The house we ended up buying we saw the same day as the estate agents viewed the property and had agreed a price 2 days later and as far as we are aware we were one of only 2 families to view it.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

We've just bought a wooden shed in Chch. The agents here are all rubbing their hands together at the sellers market. To be fair the agent has done a lot of running around for us to earn that 3.95% plus advertising plus GST. We met several agents who promised to find a property for us, but most aren't too bothered as buyers are currently 10 a penny. If I ever sell the house its going on Trade me and I'll get a good solicitor.
Old Dec 24th 2012, 12:02 pm
Just Joined

Tourvel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by davros1984
You'll probably find that those *sheds* are the actual houses. They just call them weatherboard homes here - hehe.
lol .. Nooo but I like those! I want a villa

I agree buyers are ten a penny at the moment and I will tread carefully. I just hope that among the agents of Ashburton I find a rose amongst the thorns.

Last edited by BEVS; Dec 26th 2012 at 1:20 am. Reason: tidy up
Old Dec 26th 2012, 10:37 pm
Forum Regular

thepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nicethepinkone is just really nice

The agent selling the house we're buying is good, let us have extra viewings with as much time as we wanted before we signed on the dotted line - we do have a really good lawyer who has taken time to explain everything to us with regards to the paperwork and how things are done here - we've found the whole experience easy
Old Dec 29th 2012, 3:22 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all
Default Auckland CVs

On Auckland city site there is a GIS viewer that lets you find the CV of any property. Also gives details of rates, land size etc

Last edited by dorrick; Dec 29th 2012 at 3:29 am.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Auckland CVs

Originally Posted by dorrick
On Auckland city site there is a GIS viewer that lets you find the CV of any property. Also gives details of rates, land size etc
and the link is?
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

dorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to alldorrick is a name known to all

www.aucklandcouncil.govt.nz
Old Dec 29th 2012, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by dorrick
thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.