Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Essentials to pack in your luggage

Essentials to pack in your luggage

Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future
Default Essentials to pack in your luggage

We are at the point of packing up our EIGHT suitcases for flying via LAX.

Any suggestions as to what we should pack alongside clothes, towels etc?
Cheers
Jo
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

jaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the roughjaybirdjan is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Essentials to pack in your luggage

Originally Posted by jojobooster

Cheers
Jo

If your coming over with kids plenty of tissues and if not something for dry skin as when we got off in singapore my legs looked like shedding skin.

Jan
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:42 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers
Jo
I packed my most precious photos in my hand luggage, just a few of each of the kids as babies and wedding fave - just incase!

(And all my Robbie DVD's and CD's and Jonny Depp calendar!!)
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 10:45 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

We worked on the worst case scenario of our crate falling off a ship so aprat from all the usual of clothes etc etc....

Small portable usb storage device with our family pictures and video's on it.

All your 'most' important family documents.

After that....

Power plug adaptor and we also bought a 4 plug extension.

Tangy cheese doritos......boxes of em.....
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:27 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Some kind of multi-tool knife like a swiss army knife or a leatherman will prove very useful
We didn't do a stopover en-route, just a 4 hour wait in Seoul. If you are in the same position, don't forget a change of clothes in your hand luggage. I didn't think that far and felt really smelly by the time we arrived.
Old Sep 2nd 2007, 2:44 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Some kind of multi-tool knife like a swiss army knife or a leatherman will prove very useful
We didn't do a stopover en-route, just a 4 hour wait in Seoul. If you are in the same position, don't forget a change of clothes in your hand luggage. I didn't think that far and felt really smelly by the time we arrived.
The knife is a fab idea, just make sure its in the hold luggage, NOT in the hand luggage!

Little tip given to me by a well travelled ex, always pack a change of underwear and a spare t shirt in your hand luggage....just in case you get stuck en route or your bags get stuck en route. He used it like his lucky charm and the only time he forgot....his luggage was delayed and arrived in the UK 24 hours behind him!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 2:16 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Cheers
Jo
A UK extenson lead is a good plan, then you only need one plug adapter. When you land you can stick a kiwi plug on it and away you go!

We brought laptops with photo's and stuff backed up on dvds, (laptops are alowed as an extra hand lugage item so won't eat into your hand lugage allowance) then you've got it all to hand in case the hold lugage ends up in Alaska!

Brign DVD's for the kids too, most hotels and funished lets have multi region DVD players, or you can buy one for about £10.

I would put a couple of toilet rolls in there too, you never know!

Tea bags, hotel stuff is disgusting!

Happy trails!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

jojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant futurejojobooster has a brilliant future

Thanks for the suggestions. I have filled seven cases, including a saucepan, knives and forks, tennis racquets, adaptors.
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:48 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Definately put spare clothes in hand luggage. Hubby managed to spill his wine over me in first half hour of flight:curse:, I was glad of the spare skirt and undies in my backpack!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:55 am
Forum Regular

sammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant futuresammymac has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by niseysOH
Tangy cheese doritos......boxes of em.....

Ohhhhhh, I miss those
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammymac
Ohhhhhh, I miss those
Oh I hated those!! Leave them there!! lol
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Tangy cheese doritos-They are definitely not going with us but tea bags will!
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 11:20 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Being a fully paid up member of the 'Evil Mothers Society', I packed a dictionary and a calculator in our suitcase for homework!!