Reload this Page >

Essential skills visa and mental health

Essential skills visa and mental health

Old Dec 30th 2019, 11:40 am
Just Joined

daisy2008 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Essential skills visa and mental health

Hi all,

I have applied for an essential skills visa and had my medical a couple of weeks ago. All fine except history of mental health problems. The doctor told me that since the Christchurch massacre, anyone who has ever had any mental health problems must have a report submitted by their GP.

I cannot find anywhere any information on what is deemed acceptable/unacceptable and am really panicking I'll be rejected.

The only information I have been able to find is that I should not be someone who will cost the NZ health system money or a risk to myself or others. I had depression between 2015-17.

I have not been taken any medication for nearly 2 years or seen a doctor in that long either, I have had no hospitalisations and no long term condition such as personality disorder etc. But I do have a suicide attempt (2015) on my record and I feel that may change things.

I have successfully worked with no time off since 2016 but I just have a nagging feeling I'll be rejected.
Old Dec 31st 2019, 4:06 am
Just Joined

Narbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really nice
Default Re: Essential skills visa and mental health

I had to do the same as you for being on meds at the time of application last June. Went and did an assessment with the doctor who I talked through with what to write on the letter.

Admittedly I've never had a suicide attempt on my record but I wouldn't worry about it too much! Defo don't let it put you off applying.

My visa still came through within 4 weeks of applying, even with an additional week to get the doctors assessment sorted and submitted. I am on a work to residence visa though.

Good luck!
Old Dec 31st 2019, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Narbs
I had to do the same as you for being on meds at the time of application last June. Went and did an assessment with the doctor who I talked through with what to write on the letter.

Admittedly I've never had a suicide attempt on my record but I wouldn't worry about it too much! Defo don't let it put you off applying.

My visa still came through within 4 weeks of applying, even with an additional week to get the doctors assessment sorted and submitted. I am on a work to residence visa though.

Good luck!
Thank you. All I’m waiting on is the yes or no now, my doctor’s report was submitted just before Christmas so should be picked up once people return to work in the new year. Just not sure my history will be accepted

From the PoV of being a risk to public health, costing money or not being able to do my job it shouldn’t be an issue at all but if there’s anything else they go by then who knows.

My job starts at the end of January and scared I’ll lose it if my visa is delayed and I can’t get out there in time (or if it is outright rejected).
Old Jan 6th 2020, 7:28 am
Just Joined

Narbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really niceNarbs is just really nice

What job do you do/will you be doing?

I'd be more positive, I've seen people mention more long term issues on this forum that would probable cost the NZ tax payer more money than someone who has previously been in a bad place but is fine now. Happens to the best of us!

Did you get to see your doctors assessment?
Old Jan 7th 2020, 12:57 pm
Just Joined

I’ll be teaching. I did see the report and how it appears is different every time I look at it. Sometimes I look at it and think wow that doesn’t make for nice reading and other times I think ah there’s nothing in that it’ll be fine.

Hoping to hear something this week, big time fingers crossed.
Old Jan 10th 2020, 8:38 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

I would be looking at the final assessment on the report as to whether you are getting or will be needing ongoing support, as you say you have not been on any meds for the last 2 years so I assume that your GP felt that you were no longer requiring it and needed no more on going support.

hopefully you will get a response soon