Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Escapee from the Canadian Forum!

Escapee from the Canadian Forum!

Old Feb 17th 2009, 1:23 pm
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light
Default Escapee from the Canadian Forum!

Hi There!

I'm KimmiDeacons big sis - at the moment we are applying to move back to Canada (this year) but Lil' Sis has suggested we go via New Zealand to see them for 2 years or so.

Luckily we have just had an offer on our house, so if all goes well we could be ready to move over in July/August.

Our dilemma is - do we apply for an EOI now (we will have 125 points) and hope to be picked - or do we wing it and come over and hope to get jobs and then apply? We're both professionals (Management/HR/Graduates) is this a viable option?

How many of you have done it via this route? and would you advise it?

Liffy B
Old Feb 19th 2009, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

Astraman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Escapee from the Canadian Forum!

Send in the EOI Then head out to NZ to look for a job as the extra points will help to speed up the process, you certainly wouldn't be the first to arrive on a visitor visa and obtain a job. Good Luck with whatever you decide
Old Feb 19th 2009, 11:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Big Sis...

If you're only panning two years in NZ, cheaper option would be to turn up obtain work and just apply for a WTR visa - it's only $40 more than your general work permit visa and if you change you're minds bung in your EOI at a later date...

Simon

p.s. I know your sis!!!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:00 am
Forum Regular

LiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of lightLiffyB is a glorious beacon of light

Hi Simon!

KD said if anyone was likely to help it would be you! We are going to put in our EOI in the next couple of days - just to get it out of the way. I am hoping to come over to NZ in August followed by OH in Novemeber - so it will be me looking for a job initially.

Is there a limit on the kind of work that I can do? or a minimum wage that I must earn to be eligible for a work permit or apply for a PR visa? There are a few goverment jobs going that I would really like to apply for but without a PR visa are these out of reach to me?

Hopefully we have sold the house - it is so frustrating not to be able to make a move earlier - there are some great jobs going at the moment.

Thought that I had better come over to Welly to keep an eye on Lil' Sis! especially after I saw the pictures from the Welly 7's - what would her mother say!!!!

Liffy
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LiffyB
Hi Simon!

KD said if anyone was likely to help it would be you! We are going to put in our EOI in the next couple of days - just to get it out of the way. I am hoping to come over to NZ in August followed by OH in Novemeber - so it will be me looking for a job initially.

Is there a limit on the kind of work that I can do? or a minimum wage that I must earn to be eligible for a work permit or apply for a PR visa? There are a few goverment jobs going that I would really like to apply for but without a PR visa are these out of reach to me?

Hopefully we have sold the house - it is so frustrating not to be able to make a move earlier - there are some great jobs going at the moment.

Thought that I had better come over to Welly to keep an eye on Lil' Sis! especially after I saw the pictures from the Welly 7's - what would her mother say!!!!

Liffy
Ahhh, you'll be alright! My experience if your over here and in front of people and prepared to stay visa or not if your good enough and what they want they'll over you the job. They take the attitude that if your prepared to get of your arse and fly all the way to NZ, then your worth a shot. Also outside of Auckland you can pretty much get a work permit in around 2 weeks, givng you then plenty of time to sort something else out... I believe for WTR or PR, there looking for jobs paying more than $50k...

P.S You got a good sis there...
Old Feb 21st 2009, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Two weeks - that's preety good! and sounds quite hopeful!

Has anyone got a job with the government before getting a visa or work permit? I'd be intererested to know if so. Most jobs that I have looked at have said that they require you to have the right to work in NZ - is this just for visa carriers only?

Liffy
Old Feb 22nd 2009, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to beholdKimi-Deacon is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simonmarkellis
Ahhh, you'll be alright! My experience if your over here and in front of people and prepared to stay visa or not if your good enough and what they want they'll over you the job. They take the attitude that if your prepared to get of your arse and fly all the way to NZ, then your worth a shot. Also outside of Auckland you can pretty much get a work permit in around 2 weeks, givng you then plenty of time to sort something else out... I believe for WTR or PR, there looking for jobs paying more than $50k...

P.S You got a good sis there...
Thanks Simon Much catch up with you and Louise,