British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   EOI Submitted 125 points no job offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/eoi-submitted-125-points-no-job-offer-656066/)

Pouga Feb 22nd 2010 10:29 am

EOI Submitted 125 points no job offer

In a similar situation to many I suppose.
OH has parents and brother in NZ and we want to join them. We are visiting for a holiday in April. OH is a IT Project Manager which is on the skills list, but we are having no luck getting a job offer.
We are hoping to network while we are there and possibly get a job offer, but in that catch 22 situation as will they offer us a job without a visa?
Very frustrating!
Any advice would be appreciated - Thanks

Jo-Chris Feb 23rd 2010 1:54 am

Re: EOI Submitted 125 points no job offer

Hi Pouga,

I would have thought your OHs family being in NZ would give you a few points alone. :thumbup:

We moved here with 120 points and no job offer and no close family here and we got full residency, so it can be done. :thumbsup:

OH did not get job offer until after we had our visas and I did not get a job until 2 months after arriving but we would have moved out here with no jobs regardless and found something when we got here.

Good luck!:fingerscrossed:

sirplug Feb 23rd 2010 10:28 am

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris (Post 8366633)
Hi Pouga,

I would have thought your OHs family being in NZ would give you a few points alone. :thumbup:

We moved here with 120 points and no job offer and no close family here and we got full residency, so it can be done. :thumbsup:

OH did not get job offer until after we had our visas and I did not get a job until 2 months after arriving but we would have moved out here with no jobs regardless and found something when we got here.

Ditto, so don't loose hope.......(not there yet but arriving in March!)

Have you applied for PR or a work visa?

Pouga Feb 23rd 2010 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by Jo-Chris (Post 8366633)
Hi Pouga,

Thank you for your reply! I was under the impression we wouldnt get a visa without a job offer. We have applied for work to residence as have heard it takes 18 months to get a Permanent Residence Visa.............. How did you get a visa without a job?........

Pouga Feb 23rd 2010 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pouga (Post 8367989)
Thank you for your reply! I was under the impression we wouldnt get a visa without a job offer. We have applied for work to residence as have heard it takes 18 months to get a Permanent Residence Visa.............. How did you get a visa without a job?........

Bit confused....How do I open a private message? It says the administrator has restricted the use of private messages because I have 3 posts - can anyone please help?

sirplug Feb 23rd 2010 5:12 pm

Originally Posted by Pouga (Post 8368058)
Bit confused....How do I open a private message? It says the administrator has restricted the use of private messages because I have 3 posts - can anyone please help?

Not sure but I think you have to post 10 times before the PM function works....

Pouga Feb 23rd 2010 6:26 pm

thanks - sorted now (private messages)

How did you manage to get a visa and how long did it take? You must all be excited....