Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

EOI Help!! (again)

EOI Help!! (again)

Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all
Default EOI Help!! (again)

Hi there

I am hoping that someone may be able to offer me some advice please. My husband and I have submitted an EOI with myself as the main applicant. The points we have accumulated stack up as below:

30 points - my age
50 points - recognised qualification in area of future growth
15 points - recognised work experience in area of future growth
10 points - husbands recognised qualifications in area of future growth

105 TOTAL

I am beginning to get the feeling that we may never be selected due to the fact that none of our qualifications or work experience are in an area of absolute shortage. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation or can anybody offer any thoughts on this. Feel free to dash my hopes and be honest if our chances really are that slim or impossible. I would rather know the facts and deal with it than bury my head in the sand and hope it will all be OK!

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how we might be able to boost our points or are there any different routes we could take to ensure a move to New Zealand to start our new lives. We have been applying for jobs as fast as they appear on Seek etc but due to our profession (Graphic Design) employers are reluctant to consider us without one on one interviews discussing portfolios of work.

So, any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

THANKS
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EOI Help!! (again)

Originally Posted by DiffordA
Hi there

I am hoping that someone may be able to offer me some advice please. My husband and I have submitted an EOI with myself as the main applicant. The points we have accumulated stack up as below:

30 points - my age

105 TOTAL

I am beginning to get the feeling that we may never be selected due to the fact that none of our qualifications or work experience are in an area of absolute shortage. Does anyone have any experience of a similar situation or can anybody offer any thoughts on this. Feel free to dash my hopes and be honest if our chances really are that slim or impossible. I would rather know the facts and deal with it than bury my head in the sand and hope it will all be OK!

Can anyone offer any suggestions as to how we might be able to boost our points or are there any different routes we could take to ensure a move to New Zealand to start our new lives. We have been applying for jobs as fast as they appear on Seek etc but due to our profession (Graphic Design) employers are reluctant to consider us without one on one interviews discussing portfolios of work.

THANKS
We struggled initially to get enough points so went to an agent for help. They were able to advise us but at great cost (3K) but it will be worth it. We now have over 140 points. They are dealing with everything for us (hence cost) but I'm not sure if you can use them for less services and pay less, also some previous posters on another thread (can't remember which one) seemed to have had some bad experiences so if you went down this path make sure you use a reputable agent. Happy to give you the details of the agent we used if it helps?
Good luck,
Donna
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Hi there

30 points - my age

105 TOTAL

THANKS
Don't know if you could do this, and you have probably thought about it already, but why don't you go out there for 2 or 3 weeks? Maybe arrange to see some prospective employers and take your portfolios? I know that when Sir Eglamore went out there earlier this year, his OH got a offered a job at a hospital and I believe that is the offer their using on their EOI (it was unexpected, she only went in to a hospital to get some idea of how they ran over there, wasn't looking for employment at all!)

Don't know if this helps.
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:43 pm
Forum Regular

DiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to allDiffordA is a name known to all

Originally Posted by danny.f
We struggled initially to get enough points so went to an agent for help. They were able to advise us but at great cost (3K) but it will be worth it. We now have over 140 points. They are dealing with everything for us (hence cost) but I'm not sure if you can use them for less services and pay less, also some previous posters on another thread (can't remember which one) seemed to have had some bad experiences so if you went down this path make sure you use a reputable agent. Happy to give you the details of the agent we used if it helps?
Good luck,
Donna
Thanks for that Donna. The agency route was one we were hoping to avoid based on some of the experiences you mentioned. If it comes to it though we may well consider it and if so I may be in touch for those details you kindly offered. Thanks for your help!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by StevieB
Don't know if you could do this, and you have probably thought about it already, but why don't you go out there for 2 or 3 weeks? Maybe arrange to see some prospective employers and take your portfolios? I know that when Sir Eglamore went out there earlier this year, his OH got a offered a job at a hospital and I believe that is the offer their using on their EOI (it was unexpected, she only went in to a hospital to get some idea of how they ran over there, wasn't looking for employment at all!)

Don't know if this helps.
Thanks for your thoughts. This is an option that we have considered, especially as a number of design specific recruitment agencies have said to get in touch as soon as we get out there to arrange appointments. It is just the expence that is holding us back at the moment, and the lack of holiday allowance left for the year!!

At the moment we are just weighing up all of the options based on the help we receive on here and on the advise the immigration people offer and then we will make a decision as to how our money is best spent; heading over there for a job reccy or on an agency etc. So much to consider, just trying to build up a knowledge base before we do anything too expensive that we may regret.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 31st 2006, 9:50 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there

30 points - my age

105 TOTAL

THANKS
I was close on points, and claimed points for various other areas that I thought I was elegiable for, see my post on the other EOI thread (under user name 'Spackster') Turned out I wasn't, but I got through with points just over the minimum, I'm not sure how many points we actually had in the end after NZIS had finished changing what we could claim points for or not. So you can do it with minimum points, although I don't know how that will affect your chances of selection. All I can say is good luck.

Adie
Old Aug 31st 2006, 10:42 pm
Life's next chapter is?

theguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to beholdtheguitardoctor is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Jac&Adie
I was close on points, and claimed points for various other areas that I thought I was elegiable for, see my post on the other EOI thread (under user name 'Spackster') Turned out I wasn't, but I got through with points just over the minimum, I'm not sure how many points we actually had in the end after NZIS had finished changing what we could claim points for or not. So you can do it with minimum points, although I don't know how that will affect your chances of selection. All I can say is good luck.

Adie
What are your occupations by the way?

Rich