Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

EOI - the dreaded Other Family section

EOI - the dreaded Other Family section

Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:51 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EOI - the dreaded Other Family section

Hi there

Could someone just tell me again.... the purpose of the Other Family section.

Is it to check we are who we say we are?

Or is it in case some of them might want to follow us in a few years time and we would be expected to sponsor them or something?

If its the latter, then I am going to be selective about who we mention cos we dont speak to half our family LOL.

Cheers, Kate.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 8:56 pm

Default Re: EOI - the dreaded Other Family section

adding another question - do i want to be adding points for these people.
i presume not, since i dont want to bring them with me.

you can see now why i wanted to keep these questions for a chat room so only a few people could laugh at me.

dont worry - more silly questions to come!!

kate.

PS - another question... one of the questions asks about citizenship for each of the applicants to be considered. I have lived in UK all me life, therefore i specify 1976 - 2006 in Great Britain then? And appropriate answers for the sprogs and partner?

Also - the english question. I put that we have undertake full study in the english language - i couldnt see an option for english born and bred and its out first and only written and spoken language. Is that the right thing to do???

what a crap form.

Last edited by dreamfish; Apr 9th 2006 at 9:01 pm.
Old Apr 9th 2006, 11:06 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
PS - another question... one of the questions asks about citizenship for each of the applicants to be considered. I have lived in UK all me life, therefore i specify 1976 - 2006 in Great Britain then? And appropriate answers for the sprogs and partner?

Citizenship and residency are not the same thing! With the greatest of respect, you must know what your spouse and children's citizenship is - is it British or something else? What passport do they carry?
Old Apr 10th 2006, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Joshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond reputeJoshlin has a reputation beyond repute

adding another question - do i want to be adding points for these people.
i presume not, since i dont want to bring them with me.

you can see now why i wanted to keep these questions for a chat room so only a few people could laugh at me.

dont worry - more silly questions to come!!

kate.

Also - the english question. I put that we have undertake full study in the english language - i couldnt see an option for english born and bred and its out first and only written and spoken language. Is that the right thing to do???

what a crap form.
hey Kate
fear not - the form is designed to bring out the idiot in all of us - I think it's a test - if you get it even half way right then you get automatic PR (I wish)
with regards to other family - you only need to include direct family (parents / siblings / children) not already included - if you exclude anyone by either intention or design it would only be an issue if they later wanted to have you as a sponsor.
re: citizenship - I remember the question you mean and thats exactly what I put - from birth year to current
re: english same again
Good luck with the form filling - please do not be afraid to ask even if it feels obvious.
Vicki
Old Apr 10th 2006, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by Joshlin
hey Kate
fear not - the form is designed to bring out the idiot in all of us - I think it's a test - if you get it even half way right then you get automatic PR (I wish)
with regards to other family - you only need to include direct family (parents / siblings / children) not already included - if you exclude anyone by either intention or design it would only be an issue if they later wanted to have you as a sponsor.
re: citizenship - I remember the question you mean and thats exactly what I put - from birth year to current
re: english same again
Good luck with the form filling - please do not be afraid to ask even if it feels obvious.
Vicki
Thank you Vicki - I feel really thick LOL. Well, will put down me parents, bro and inlaws... no other children other than those already declared - and i am not taking them with me, so i dont claim points for them - right?. EVEN THO i dont want my mother on there, I will spit her name out. LMAO. just such a bizarre question - the form doesnt seem to 'flow' at all.

Kate.
Old Apr 10th 2006, 10:40 pm
livewire

The whole form is just one big English comprehension test

Old Apr 11th 2006, 2:35 pm

Originally Posted by livewire
The whole form is just one big English comprehension test
LOL yes you're right. As long as i am not expected to complete verbal reasoning papers next!!
Old Apr 30th 2006, 6:32 pm
Just Joined

Tinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant future
Question Re: EOI - the dreaded Other Family section

Hi all,
Just wanted to jump in on this thread as you have mentioned other family members on the EOI form.
My wife is an only child and her Mum is now on her own. We are in the very early stages of looking at moving to Christchurch and were hoping that we would be able to take her with us (yes, honestly!!!) She will be 80 this week -that's the M-In-Law, not the wife , and is quite excited about the possibility of coming with us. We have just got to find out the logistics of it all first.
She doesn't live with us, but is dependant on Sharon for quite a lot. She doesn't drive and gets Sharon to do a lot of her paperwork and stuff - can anyone offer any advice on this subject

Cheers,
Mike & Sharon
Old Apr 30th 2006, 8:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of
Smile Re: EOI - the dreaded Other Family section

Originally Posted by Tinmanmd
Hi all,
Just wanted to jump in on this thread as you have mentioned other family members on the EOI form.
My wife is an only child and her Mum is now on her own. We are in the very early stages of looking at moving to Christchurch and were hoping that we would be able to take her with us (yes, honestly!!!) She will be 80 this week -that's the M-In-Law, not the wife , and is quite excited about the possibility of coming with us. We have just got to find out the logistics of it all first.
She doesn't live with us, but is dependant on Sharon for quite a lot. She doesn't drive and gets Sharon to do a lot of her paperwork and stuff - can anyone offer any advice on this subject

Cheers,
Mike & Sharon
Hi Mike and Sharon,
We looked into this as I am an only child too. My Mum is 70 we hope to be in either Bay Of Plenty or Marlborough later this year. My Mum is devastated!
She is going to have to spend equal amounts of time out of NZ as she does in it (Max 9 months). Then when we get citizenship (5years now) I can hopefully sponsor her (although I have realised I didnt put her on our EOI or ITA!!!!!)
However she is fairly disabled due to a few slight strokes and will need assistance with wheelchair on flight.
She says that she will only leave UK for 2 months as she is scared she will loose her attendance allowance. So all round problems!!!!
I am sure many people face this dilemma I suppose it depends how much YOU as a family want to go. The way I look at it is life is so short and our parents have had their life to live the way they choose, My Mum relies upon me to for lots of things but since she has known I am going she is developing other coping methods (getting shop to deliver grocery etc..)
I personally would hate to reach old age and think I wish I had done that but didnt because of my Mum. I can see a better future in NZ for my teenagers. If you both really want to do it you will find a compromise for your Mum
GOOD LUCK!!!!
Old May 1st 2006, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

We are only able to go to NZ because I have three siblings who are here to watch the parents, though mum is only 68 and pop is 75. Even though I would not consider them elderly, I would never leave them if there was no one to be near if they needed any help. And even if I was an only child, I can't see my parents even considering up rooting so I wouldn't feel guilty. My mum is already upset enough with us taking four the the twelve grandkids away that she feels she will never see again.
Old May 1st 2006, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
We are only able to go to NZ because I have three siblings who are here to watch the parents, though mum is only 68 and pop is 75. Even though I would not consider them elderly, I would never leave them if there was no one to be near if they needed any help. And even if I was an only child, I can't see my parents even considering up rooting so I wouldn't feel guilty. My mum is already upset enough with us taking four the the twelve grandkids away that she feels she will never see again.
Once again I suppose it depends how much YOU as a family really want to go to NZ. My Mum can see the changes that have devastated the UK over the last 10 years (Overcrowding, crime, loss of industry, immigration issues etc...)
Not to mention NHS redundancies of Nurses etc.. (I work for the NHS). So she can see what future (Or lack of it!) is here for her only 2 teenage grandchildren. Perhaps it thus depends how disillusioned you are with where you are living!
A very dear friend of mine put into into perspective for me by saying that our parents didnt bring us into the world to be carers, they hoped we would flourish into individual's. I would like to think that my children will direct their own life, again each family has individual dynamics. I put my life on hold to care 100% for Dad when he died (59yrs) and love Mum dearly, but I feel I owe this move to MY kids!
You know its often hard to be the only child, but that shouldn't deprive you from the opportunities that life gives you just because you dont happen to have siblings!!
Old May 4th 2006, 6:17 pm
Just Joined

dotty debs is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

Cheers,
Mike & Sharon
I know what you mena by confused and i would be very interested to know how you get on with the visa application for your mum in law.We are in a similar situation as my husband (who is a kiwi) and i (british )are wanting to go to nz and to take with us my 25 year old daughter from my first marraige, who has a learning disability and cannot cope on her own.We are struggling as there is no category she fits in to.I hope you don't encounter any problems like we are , best of luck.dotty debs.
Old Jun 14th 2006, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Tinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant futureTinmanmd has a brilliant future

Hi everyone, and thanks for the words of wisdom! Sorry that we haven't been back to post a reply before now but it's been a bit hectic around here. We still haven't resolved the query about taking my mum with us, although I have been in touch with NZIS who say that we can't include her on our application
Since posting in April though we have been over to Chch for our very first visit to NZ. We loved it. It was only brief - just 10 days, due to taking our teenage son out of school, but we managed to do everything that we wanted to do. We thought that we should at least go and check the place out before actually deciding that it was the right move for us.
Mike had 2 meetings lined up with a couple of companies over there. We thought they were just chats, but he came away from both with a job offer so it seems it's all systems go now. Mind you, even with the job offer we still only have the minimum 100 points, so I suppose there's still no guarantee that we'll get through.
Saying all that we still need to check the financial situation as I won't have a job to start with and there is also the question about my mum still to be resolved. She is so excited about the possibility of moving over with us that I'm sure she will be devastated if she can't go. I know that we can sponser her in a few years, but she's not getting any younger.
As you say Frenchy, we have to think about us and the opportunities for our 14 year old but it will be hard if we have to leave her behind.
Will keep you posted on our progress.
Sharon & Mike
Old Jun 14th 2006, 12:42 pm

As you say Frenchy, we have to think about us and the opportunities for our 14 year old but it will be hard if we have to leave her behind.
Will keep you posted on our progress.
Sharon & Mike
Hi Sharon and Mike

What i am about to say probably sounds heartless and cruel.

When I told my dad a few months ago we were planning on NZ, he was over the moon. He then spoke to my other half in private and said 'you cant live your parents lives. You really must do this.'

My dad was killed just a few weeks ago in a motorbike accident. He was 54. His words still haunt me - in a sense reassuring me that life is WAY TOO SHORT to be living your life for somebody else.

We all have our own families now - your mom would be so immensely proud to see you guys making a go of this. You must also consider that a move like this probably isnt suitable for such an elderly person anyway.

It will be a tough decision, but none of us are getting younger. You stay in the UK for another few years to stay with your mom, then you could end up losing 5 points for aging on your EOI!!

Sort her out with a PC and webcam, get her enrolled on a pc course at the library where she can make friends AND keep in touch with you guys when you move. You're never too old to learn how to use PC

best wishes - i can imagine its a very tough decision to make.

Kate. xx
Old Jun 14th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Liz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud ofLiz & Co has much to be proud of

Hi Sharon and Mike

What i am about to say probably sounds heartless and cruel.

When I told my dad a few months ago we were planning on NZ, he was over the moon. He then spoke to my other half in private and said 'you cant live your parents lives. You really must do this.'

My dad was killed just a few weeks ago in a motorbike accident. He was 54. His words still haunt me - in a sense reassuring me that life is WAY TOO SHORT to be living your life for somebody else.

We all have our own families now - your mom would be so immensely proud to see you guys making a go of this. You must also consider that a move like this probably isnt suitable for such an elderly person anyway.

It will be a tough decision, but none of us are getting younger. You stay in the UK for another few years to stay with your mom, then you could end up losing 5 points for aging on your EOI!!

Sort her out with a PC and webcam, get her enrolled on a pc course at the library where she can make friends AND keep in touch with you guys when you move. You're never too old to learn how to use PC

best wishes - i can imagine its a very tough decision to make.

Kate. xx

Very well said, Kate.

When we told my parents they were absolutely thrilled and so proud of us. Like you, my father died late last year. When we go in September we will be leaving my mum - we have bought her a PC and she is currently having lessons (she has now managed to turn it on and off). She has said that she can't wait to come and visit but is insistent that we have our own lives for the sake of our children and by living our life for our children, just as my father and her did it will make her happy.

My mother means the world to me but we must live for the future (our children) and not for the past (our parents).

Liz & Co