EOI

Old Oct 26th 2010, 12:32 pm
Forum Regular

tkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nice
Question EOI

i have been advised by an employment agency to log my EOI before i have a job offer.
this would leave me with 125 points max.
with a job offer i would have another 70, but think they are unwilling to really get me interviews until i have an invitation to apply.
will this be enough to get chosen do you think.

plus, if you dont get chosen that time, do you have to log another EOI or do you stay in the pool for a certain amount of time?

thanks for any replies, this is a minefield isnt it.

tracy
Old Oct 26th 2010, 6:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: EOI

Originally Posted by tkirya
i have been advised by an employment agency to log my EOI before i have a job offer.
with a job offer i would have another 70, but think they are unwilling to really get me interviews until i have an invitation to apply.

plus, if you dont get chosen that time, do you have to log another EOI or do you stay in the pool for a certain amount of time?

tracy
Your EOI stays in the pool for 6 months. If not pulled in that time you would have to resubmit.
125 sounds pretty good to me ! Check out the INZ website to see what they've been pulling lately. Good luck
Old Oct 27th 2010, 3:49 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

tracy
What profession are you in? Nursing etc normally have no issue getting offers as the 1st real step. I d find another agency as all they are asking is that you pay NZIS and start the 6mth clock ticking earlier than needs be, without any evidence they have any decent employer contacts. 125 doesnt guarantee you'll get selected and from memory they are pulling down to 125pts only if you have a job offer...
Old Oct 27th 2010, 8:01 am
Just Joined

mandaxcook is an unknown quantity at this point

tracy
Hi, I submitted my EOI without a firm job offer and I had about the same no of points, that was at the beginning of 2009 and everything went through quite quickly after that. Depending on your job many employerws aren't interested if you have a UK address, that's what I found.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mandaxcook
Hi, I submitted my EOI without a firm job offer and I had about the same no of points, that was at the beginning of 2009 and everything went through quite quickly after that. Depending on your job many employerws aren't interested if you have a UK address, that's what I found.
To avoid the UK Address problem (we encountered that a little too), you can open an account with someone like www.privatebox.co.nz and have your NZ mail sent there. PrivateBox have a web based interface within which they'll log all the mail you receive (emailing you notifications as to its arrival) at which point you can request that they either:

* - Open, scan and upload individual (or all) items for you to read
* - Destroy individual (or all) items you don't require
* - Forward individual (or all) items to a physical address anywhere in the world.

I'm not affiliated with the in any way I might add... but I continue to use their service to this day only right now it's where I have all my UK mail forwarded to.
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:41 pm
Manchester to NZ (please)

kags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by thedtb
To avoid the UK Address problem (we encountered that a little too), you can open an account with someone like www.privatebox.co.nz and have your NZ mail sent there. PrivateBox have a web based interface within which they'll log all the mail you receive (emailing you notifications as to its arrival) at which point you can request that they either:

* - Open, scan and upload individual (or all) items for you to read
* - Destroy individual (or all) items you don't require
* - Forward individual (or all) items to a physical address anywhere in the world.

I'm not affiliated with the in any way I might add... but I continue to use their service to this day only right now it's where I have all my UK mail forwarded to.
...but by setting up a Private Box would you say NZ prospective employers are more likely to look favourably on your application? Logistically I see the benefits for a PO box, but as for mandaxcook's point with regards to finding work would this sort of thing ever make a difference? (not being argumentative, just would like yr advice!)
Old Oct 27th 2010, 5:50 pm
Forum Regular

tkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nicetkirya is just really nice

thanks for all your answers.
i am with geneva health which have a very good repuatation.
we have now managed to scrape together 135 points without a job offer, and will continue down this road for a while and see what comes about.
i dont think i will do the po box thing, maybe would put emplot=yers off wonderring wehy not a ho9me address.
xxx
Old Oct 27th 2010, 9:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

I would go with both, look and apply for jobs as well as applying for your EOI.
In the application literature it does state that at any point should you secure a job offer to let Immigration know ASAP.

You have to cover all bases IMO, get applying!
Old Oct 28th 2010, 12:59 pm
Forum Regular

thedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of lightthedtb is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by kags-gowboy
...but by setting up a Private Box would you say NZ prospective employers are more likely to look favourably on your application? Logistically I see the benefits for a PO box, but as for mandaxcook's point with regards to finding work would this sort of thing ever make a difference? (not being argumentative, just would like yr advice!)
In our experience it did indeed help us.

My wife started applying for jobs with her UK address on the application details and quickly got through many applications with hardly anything in the way of a hint of interest.

What interest was shown was definately of the "if only you were in New Zealand already" variety... in fact she eventually had two job interviews via Skype whilst in the UK and was told (indirectly by the first, but blatantly by the second) that they would have offered her the job had she already been in NZ.

It was this that spurred us on to jump on the plane and look for work in person, but also to start quoting our NZ address.

There was definitely more interest shown once she changed the address to our PO Box address in Wellington (although with Private Box it doesn't actually have to show up obviously as a PO Box address because you can use their street address).

As it happens we were of course already in New Zealand when she was finally offered the job she now has... at the time of interview we were living on the South Island, but her applications still quoted the Wellington address.

When she was invited to the job interview she got the Ferry across and drove to the Job Interview in Masterton. At the end of the interview, she was asked in passing whether she was heading back down to Wellington that night... she replied telling them that she was going back home to a place just outside of Havelock on the south island and they were really, very genuinely surprised.

Apparently they said they felt guilty for having made her come all the way from the South Island for the interview... to which she (amusingly in my opinion) replied that she'd just moved from one side of the world to the other, a trip from Havelock was therefore nothing in comparison and that she wanted to be interviewed face-to-face... before going on to explain that we used the PO Box service from PrivateBox because we were travelling around so much.

The circumstances may well be different here, but I'd recommend the NZ address approach, perhaps labelling it as "New Zealand Correspondance Address" or similar and leave them to ask about your actual geographical location once they've actually made contact with you.

It's more of a foot-in-the-door than being dismissed out of hand because of an address on paper!

Old Oct 28th 2010, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LukeandJo
I would go with both, look and apply for jobs as well as applying for your EOI.
In the application literature it does state that at any point should you secure a job offer to let Immigration know ASAP.

You have to cover all bases IMO, get applying!
thank you, that makes such sense i dont see why i didnt just think of ity myself
but, as you may understand, we wnat to do all things the right way
xx
Old Oct 28th 2010, 10:42 pm
Manchester to NZ (please)

kags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nicekags-gowboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by thedtb
In our experience it did indeed help us.

My wife started applying for jobs with her UK address on the application details and quickly got through many applications with hardly anything in the way of a hint of interest.

What interest was shown was definately of the "if only you were in New Zealand already" variety... in fact she eventually had two job interviews via Skype whilst in the UK and was told (indirectly by the first, but blatantly by the second) that they would have offered her the job had she already been in NZ.

It was this that spurred us on to jump on the plane and look for work in person, but also to start quoting our NZ address.

There was definitely more interest shown once she changed the address to our PO Box address in Wellington (although with Private Box it doesn't actually have to show up obviously as a PO Box address because you can use their street address).

As it happens we were of course already in New Zealand when she was finally offered the job she now has... at the time of interview we were living on the South Island, but her applications still quoted the Wellington address.

When she was invited to the job interview she got the Ferry across and drove to the Job Interview in Masterton. At the end of the interview, she was asked in passing whether she was heading back down to Wellington that night... she replied telling them that she was going back home to a place just outside of Havelock on the south island and they were really, very genuinely surprised.

Apparently they said they felt guilty for having made her come all the way from the South Island for the interview... to which she (amusingly in my opinion) replied that she'd just moved from one side of the world to the other, a trip from Havelock was therefore nothing in comparison and that she wanted to be interviewed face-to-face... before going on to explain that we used the PO Box service from PrivateBox because we were travelling around so much.

The circumstances may well be different here, but I'd recommend the NZ address approach, perhaps labelling it as "New Zealand Correspondance Address" or similar and leave them to ask about your actual geographical location once they've actually made contact with you.

It's more of a foot-in-the-door than being dismissed out of hand because of an address on paper!

Good story, great advice...thanks for that. (Sorry for diverging from the topic btw!)
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:26 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

The reason why they said stick your EoI in without a job offer, is because no NZ based company is going to consider you for a job unless:

a) You are in NZ and available to attend an interview/start in a reasonable time period.
b) They have offices in the UK, where you can be interviewed.
c) You are God in your field (And this will be scrutinized!)

I fell into this trap and decided my best course was to submit my EoI without a job offer and with 115 points. My EoI was selected after 2 weeks!

With 135 points, you stand a good chance of being selected because it is:
All those people with 140+ points
All those people with 100+ points + a job offer (Fast-tracked)
With the numerically highest first, all people with 135 points or below, with no job offer until the quota is reached. (ie 135 points, 130, 125, 120 etc in that order)

After that, they look at your EoI and decided if they actually want you or not!

A word of caution though: I got to NZ without a job offer, but my industry is in a major slowdown due to the recession, so getting over here is only half the battle! Once you are in NZ however, you have radically better chances of getting a NZ based job, than if you are overseas.

Last edited by Gizmo27; Oct 31st 2010 at 5:29 am.
Old Oct 31st 2010, 5:33 am
Forum Regular

Gizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the roughGizmo27 is a jewel in the rough

Ohh just an after-thought.

You can modify your EoI after it is submitted, so if it is an option, you could do the following:

Submit your EoI.

Travel to NZ (If you are from Oz, Canada or the UK you can stay for up to 6 months on holiday (No working ) without a holiday visa etc), look for work in NZ, then when you get an interview/job offer explain your situation (Most companies will probably be favorable as you are here, and there is some slack in the laws in my understanding/you can get a temporary work visa), and if you get a job offer, immediatly change your EoI (Even if already selected) to reflect your new situation.

If your EoI is not already selected, a job offer and 100+ points gaurantees selection in the next draw, and if you are basically working by then, then you have fairly high odds of smoothly getting a proper visa. If you are going to do that however, make sure that everything is already ready, or that you can get it quickly (Medical, Police reference etc) as sorting them from NZ may be problematic at times (Police, supporting documents etc)
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:14 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gizmo27
....and if you are basically working by then....
I am not sure f that is what you meant but it is VERY bad advice to work without a permit in place, that can seriously mess up your ability to get any permit in future...
Old Oct 31st 2010, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Yes I understand that, but my Visa officer told me that if you are in NZ and looking for work before you get the visa (ie comming over on holiday and looking), then you can get a temporary visa while your EoI is processed, if required.

I am not suggesting working without a Visa, I am suggesting getting a temporary work visa while the EoI is processed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.