British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Environmental Scientist could use any help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/environmental-scientist-could-use-any-help-756194/)

Eric139 Apr 25th 2012 8:18 pm

Environmental Scientist could use any help

Hello my name is Eric and I am graduating with a bachelors in Environmental Science and Policy. I went to NZ for a semester last year and currently have a girlfriend who lives in Auckland who has been here in Boston with me however now she has started Uni back in NZ. Ive been searching and searching for visas on INZ for months now, and my options are a working holiday visa however doesn't let me get a 'real' job only part time and such, which I don't really want to do. Another option is the partnership visa however she went to INZ to talk to them and they said that we need to be living together at the time, which we are obviously not and shes in her flat until November. Ive also herd that there are ways around the not living together part, any thoughts/ideas? Also the last option is a work visa which I need to get contacts in the Environmental field seeing how I need a job offer before going to NZ any suggestions. Could use any help I would prefer to get the partnership visa this seems the easiest and most flexible but worst case scenario would be a holiday visa i guess.

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 25th 2012 11:56 pm

Re: Environmental Scientist could use any help

Hi Eric & welcome to our cosy NZ forums. Now I'm not up-to-date on all the visa stuff but Environmental Scientist nec is listed as a skilled occupation (ANZSCO 234399), so I would think that you would be able to apply for a visa under the SMC.

Have you tried looking for a job on www.seek.co.nz? I put enviromental scientist in for all NZ & it came up with 26 jobs.

HTH

scrubbedexpat094 Apr 26th 2012 12:01 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 10025837)
Hi Eric & welcome to our cosy NZ forums. Now I'm not up-to-date on all the visa stuff but Environmental Scientist nec is listed as a skilled occupation (ANZSCO 234399), so I would think that you would be able to apply for a visa under the SMC.

Have you tried looking for a job on www.seek.co.nz? I put enviromental scientist in for all NZ & it came up with 26 jobs.

HTH

Just seen another thread that you've started & seen that BEVS has found you under ANZSCO 234313, so ignore me :o

Catchafire Apr 26th 2012 12:35 am

It's a misconception that a WHV restricts you to jobs like fruit picking etc, you can work for any company in any role, the only restriction is that you can not work for more than 12 months for a single employer.

In your case it's a good way to get into the country, relatively quickly, get working and have time to apply for the appropriate visa before the WHV expires.

Eric139 Apr 26th 2012 3:23 am

thanks so much i might just have to get the working holiday visa and get into the country like that. How easy is it to get skilled migrant work, isn't this for permanent residency in NZ?

Say I get to NZ on the WHV and start applying with companies in Auckland for full time work (40+ hours a week) in my field can I do this would they hire me or would they want me to have the official work visa not the WHV?

BEVS Apr 26th 2012 3:39 am

You would perhaps need to educate the prospective NZ employer that it is a job offer first and then a work permit application. You'd take yourself off to the nearest NZIS office to sort that out as quickly as poss.

Catchafire Apr 26th 2012 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Eric139 (Post 10026084)
Say I get to NZ on the WHV and start applying with companies in Auckland for full time work (40+ hours a week) in my field can I do this would they hire me or would they want me to have the official work visa not the WHV?

It should work in your favour. You are legally entitled to start work immediately, a big plus point. However any employment contract, strictly speaking should be only for 12 months.

But sorting out a work permit is not a big deal, since you should qualify as "skilled" work.

Eric139 Apr 26th 2012 2:39 pm

ok sweet, the only reason i thought it would be an issue on the WHV is because one of the restrictions on the WHV is you can't obtain 'permanent' employment.