Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Enough to drive you crazy!! MUST be entitled to work in NZ!!

Enough to drive you crazy!! MUST be entitled to work in NZ!!

Old May 8th 2008, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

Dezza will become famous soon enoughDezza will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Enough to drive you crazy!! MUST be entitled to work in NZ!!

Originally Posted by whitesand
think you'll find that many countries require you to have a work permit before you may work. I don't think you'd be able to work in Oz either without the necessary visas and work permits. I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing as it stops everyone from simply coming into the country without going through the immigration or visa application process.
Yes thank you - we have already looked into Oz and discounted it for that reason - there is no way we will get in. BUT fortunately for us and a lot of aspiring migrants NZ seems to be possibility whereas we found in our situation it is not possible to migrate to Oz. NZ Immigration does have a temp work visa scheme where you need a job offer first but it's just a shame that so many employers stipulate the need for a visa first hence the catch-22 situation which was my original point!
I don't think anyone's suggesting that they would want to bypass any immigration processes.
Old May 8th 2008, 7:52 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

In a situation such as yours an expensive - but effective - way of securing that job offer is the recce trip. If you are employable, then come to NZ for 2 weeks and hit the pavement hard going to all the agences, going in person to see all prosepective employers in your field - doorstepping them if needs be - and making it known that you are serious.

It really works! I know 4 folk now who have done exactly this, and between 1 and 3 months later they were back over here complete with family and work permit.

Any chance of being able to do something like this? What kind of work does your hubby do?
Old May 8th 2008, 9:38 pm
Forum Regular

We came over in April for a look around for 2 weeks - OH did get some interesting leads but nothing concrete. We are still waiting to hear about one possibility where visa situation hasn't been discussed yet. He did have another really promising interview lined up but they cancelled at the last minute as they had a recruitment freeze hope this isn't a trend!
I think if we haven't cracked it by June/July from here then OH will go over again for longer on a visitor's visa and try from there and hopefully will get taken more seriously.
He is in management but unfortunately not a project manager which is a shame as they seem to be in very high demand!
Old May 9th 2008, 4:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dezza
We came over in April for a look around for 2 weeks - OH did get some interesting leads but nothing concrete. We are still waiting to hear about one possibility where visa situation hasn't been discussed yet. He did have another really promising interview lined up but they cancelled at the last minute as they had a recruitment freeze hope this isn't a trend!
I think if we haven't cracked it by June/July from here then OH will go over again for longer on a visitor's visa and try from there and hopefully will get taken more seriously.
He is in management but unfortunately not a project manager which is a shame as they seem to be in very high demand!

Management of what Dezza?? Give us some details; usually is a case of who you know here
Old May 9th 2008, 8:15 am
Forum Regular

Well he has held various mid management positions in various organisations mostly in utility and transport cos.
Know what you mean about who you know - the best lead he got was someone he bumped into at the London expo last year who had a friend who was a senior manager at a top NZ co and he kindly put my OH in touch with him - this may still come to something so fingers crossed but things seem to move very slowly!!
Old May 9th 2008, 11:13 am
lionheart

howden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to allhowden40 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dezza
It's driving us mad!!!
Like a lot of OP we are trying to find work in NZ from the Uk and it is really difficult. The prob we are having is that all jobs seem to say that you need a work permit etc to even apply. Even the Government jobs and accredited employers say this.
Why isn't there more awareness of the fact that employers can offer a job and then arrange the work permit? It feels like a near impossible job to get around this.
My OH has applied for loads of jobs - he has received initial interest UNTIL they learn he does not yet have a work permit even though we are constantly told that they need people.
Is this the case if you actually go to NZ or do you still come up against the same if you are there on a visitor's visa?
I wonder what type of work u do. I was luck to be a skill shortage, had a phone interview in uk then filed my eoi took 6momths to get here my employer was very patient. it can be done I guess it's down to what line of country u are in and how short the sills are over here.just heard 2day on the telly that unemployment has increased by 20,000+ in last month, things are tightening over here
Tony
Old May 9th 2008, 9:22 pm
Just Joined

coltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nicecoltheplumb is just really nice

ok as i see it and this is my own honest opion ! New Zealand has seen itself as being somewhere loads of peeps wanna go(700 eoi'severy 2 weeks) to escape the crazy life/costs/petrol/taxes/government/crime/immigration or whoever wants to come here/ etc of G.B..as a nice little (cough)large earner for the country ,the sad thing is that as they have taken the ones that could get out there in the early years. They are now making it harder for those of us who have just realised the fact that we need to get away from G.B. soooo difficult and very very expensive...ie i have been plumbing and heating engineer for the past 25 years the last 2yrs a fully fledged training advisor/assessor for a well respected college ,also training towards lecturing, all city n guilds paperwork etc.. n yet still have to pay for someone loads of money in N.Z to say yes they belive me ??? they say they need skilled people over there but it is going to cost us at least £15000.00 to actually get there even though the wages are well below western wages , the cost of living is about the same as western living , houses are well below the standards of western buildings, mortgage interest rates are the highest in the whole of the civilised world ... sorry for going on but now the good points of N.Z.... it's climate is better than G.B and it's 40years us behind !!after so much aggro etc we have decided to stay in G.B
Old May 10th 2008, 2:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

whitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to beholdwhitesand is a splendid one to behold

I agree with many of your points. NZ needs to pull its socks up if it is to attract more skilled workers. Even when those folks arrive many are messed around with these government agencies like the NZQA. It is beginning to look like the negative points are ahead of the positive, especially with the crap exchange rate and the stupid housing prices.

I was looking through the houses for sale ads recently and it made for depressing reading with the extortionate prices expected for houses which were no better than sheds, and which noone in their right mind would have put their life's savings into.

Times have changed. Folks don't always move for life, rather they go where the work and opportunities are. If, along the way, they decide they like the place they move to, then they stay. But, many can afford to move on - something that was unthinnkable with early migrants. Therefore, the new country has to make it worthwhile to settle there.