British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   English Test for Nurses (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/english-test-nurses-768886/)

mart19630 Aug 20th 2012 3:26 pm

English Test for Nurses

Hi, following a recent visit to an Expo my partner and I were told by the New Zealand Health Authority stand there that the English test requirement for British trained nurses was not going to be a requirement as of September. We cannot find any information on this on any Web sites and was wondering if anyone could update us on whether this is in fact true or just mis-information and will still be a requirement. Thanks.:confused:

simonsi Aug 20th 2012 6:53 pm

Re: English Test for Nurses

I think they maketh that rule, why not try and contact them and get it in writing - but either way You would need to wait for the rule change to take advantage of it. They dont preannounce many immigration rule changes, eg the recent big change in medicals being valid for 3yrs rather than 3mths, announced on the day of the change, not before.

Boopy Aug 21st 2012 10:58 am

Maybe contact NZ Nursing Council, they should have update of requirements.

[email protected]

Good luck :)

alanmacc Aug 23rd 2012 12:50 am

Originally Posted by mart19630 (Post 10236515)
Hi, following a recent visit to an Expo my partner and I were told by the New Zealand Health Authority stand there that the English test requirement for British trained nurses was not going to be a requirement as of September. We cannot find any information on this on any Web sites and was wondering if anyone could update us on whether this is in fact true or just mis-information and will still be a requirement. Thanks.:confused:

Yep as far as I am aware it is now a standard entry to have an English test

Q: Does everyone have to do the English language test?

A: Yes, all nurses applying for registration in New Zealand (apart from those applying under TTMR) have to take the test. When the Council registers a nurse, it is providing the public with an assurance that a nurse is competent and fit to practise and fitness to practise includes the ability to communicate effectively in English, as this is essential for safe nursing in New Zealand. The standards New Zealand requires are very much on a par with those of health regulatory authorities in other countries – a recent review assured us of this. The standards may be met over a series of tests rather than in just one test sitting.

Q: I come from the UK/Ireland/USA/Canada/South Africa/ and have spoken English all my life. Why do I need to do an English language test?

A: English language tests are now standard practice in many places throughout the world. With globalisation, there is no guarantee that because you come from an English speaking country, you are an English speaker and the ability to understand and to speak English is essential for safe nursing in New Zealand. It is worth noting that New Zealand nurses going to England also have to undertake an English language test.

taken from http://www.nursingcouncil.org.nz/ind...in-New-Zealand

Hope this helps

simonsi Aug 23rd 2012 2:52 am

Originally Posted by alanmacc (Post 10241477)
Yep as far as I am aware it is now a standard entry to have an English test...blah blah...

Hope this helps

No it doesn't, OP was told this would be changing in September to NOT being required and was looking for confirmation or where confirmation could be found.

Gill and Rob Aug 24th 2012 10:04 am

Any change like this would come from Nursing Council of New Zealand and it would be highly unlikely for them to announce this so far in advance.

There has certainly been much discussion about international nurse registration in NZ and even a consultation document was circulated a few months ago, however the results of this are not yet published/announced.

Cheers
Gill

mart19630 Aug 25th 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks everyone for your comments we are trying to contact the person we spoke to at the expo but have had no reply from her yet. Hopefully it will change soon and not be necessary. Thanks again.
:fingerscrossed: