Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

English Football Coach looking for work in NZ

English Football Coach looking for work in NZ

Old Feb 29th 2008, 8:33 pm
Just Joined

jimc is on a distinguished road
Default English Football Coach looking for work in NZ

Hi everyone, i am a full time pro football coach on my first steps to coming out to NZ does anyone know what the standard of soccer is like in NZ and where would be the best area to start an academy for youth footballers? i am planning a 10 day trip out to NZ to gain info on where best to start my new life but if anyone can help with any part of the move i would be very grateful.

Last edited by jimc; Feb 29th 2008 at 9:32 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 5:13 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: English Football Coach looking for work in NZ

Welcome to NZ forum Jim C

The first port of call should probably be the NZ Football website .

As a coach you may be able to come in under a talent visa.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 6:40 am
Just Joined

willow74 will become famous soon enoughwillow74 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jimc
Hi everyone, i am a full time pro football coach on my first steps to coming out to NZ does anyone know what the standard of soccer is like in NZ and where would be the best area to start an academy for youth footballers? i am planning a 10 day trip out to NZ to gain info on where best to start my new life but if anyone can help with any part of the move i would be very grateful.
Hi Jim,
I can certainly give you plenty of information regarding the Christchurch football scene and bits and pieces nationwide. As with most things Auckland is the strongest region. There is lots of potential in NZ as it is the most popular sport amongst kids but we seem to lose most to other sports by the time they are 16. Sounds like you may be a real asset. PM me for more info.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 9:23 am
`

Hi Willow74

It would be lovely for all the forum if you would post up more about the NZ football scene.
My husband plays for the local village team whic is pretty strong and lively, but that is about it.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:29 pm
Just Joined

Thank you for your kind and positive replies. I would like to bring my Coaching Academy out to NZ. We have been in existence in the UK for 12 years and i have been director of coaching for 10 of those. We have produced players for Arsenal,Charlton Athletic and many more so the concept is proven. I would like to try and have a positive influence on the youth soccer scene in NZ by opening an Academy and doing after school clubs with children in any area of NZ where there are plenty of schools. Check out my website at PLANET-SAFA.COM and see what you think. Thanks in advance for any help.

Last edited by jimc; Mar 1st 2008 at 12:36 pm.
Old Mar 1st 2008, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Welcome to NZ forum Jim C

The first port of call should probably be the NZ Football website .

As a coach you may be able to come in under a talent visa.
thanks Bev. Could you tell me more about the talent visa please.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 2:33 am
BE Enthusiast

donnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to beholddonnaf is a splendid one to behold

PM my OH Dannyf - our son who is 9 has just signed up for a youth team. Danny will probably be able to give you some info or point you in the right direction - if the Wellington Phoenix are anything to go by NZ football needs all the help it can get!!!
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 9:42 am
`

thanks Bev. Could you tell me more about the talent visa please.
I think posts have already been made on another thread about this.

Originally Posted by donnaf
PM my OH Dannyf - our son who is 9 has just signed up for a youth team. Danny will probably be able to give you some info or point you in the right direction - if the Wellington Phoenix are anything to go by NZ football needs all the help it can get!!!
Would be lovely for others looking in, if this was up on the open forum .

We have a strong village youth team. It's governed through the school and helped through fund-raising.
Old Mar 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

You're not Steve Maclaren are you

Seriously, sounds a good plan, hope it is achievable for you.
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 6:45 pm
Forum Regular

minky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really niceminky is just really nice

We are in Auckland and the boys play for Bucklands Beach which is quite a big club and runs a lot of teams over different ages.I know that they do training courses thru the club as well as Coerver coaching also.The other club is Fencibles over this side
Old Mar 3rd 2008, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

jads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to alljads is a name known to all

Hi there

The standard of football in NZ is a sticking point for my 10 year old son, and the fact that he doesn't want to leave his beloved football club in the UK (he has played since the age of 5). I am a level 1 coach and love coaching the kids, we visited a few clubs on our recci at his age group and its a bit of a mixture of good and bad!
There was an excellent acadamy in Napier of all places but wasnt right for all of us, I am a bit concerned that we may be taking our son away from a possible dream, but you never know!
It has great potential in NZ and its great to see you interested in taking your talent to NZ.
Do you coach all ages?

Cheers Jads
Old Mar 4th 2008, 1:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Jim,

I think that it may have already been said but football is the fastest growing sport in NZ (probably cos of all the pomms already here). I think that an academy would be great but it would have to be reasonably priced as I dont think the kiwi`s will be too keen to shell out alot of money as most sport over here is free or very reasonably priced.
Sadly , I know of a young local English lad (I think he`s 10) who has been spotted and is going back to England to trial at West Ham. I say sad as his parents are both happy and settled here but obviously feel that his future is best served in the UK. Maybe that reflects the standard of football over here.

Good luck
Ash
Old Mar 4th 2008, 2:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
You're not Steve Maclaren are you

Seriously, sounds a good plan, hope it is achievable for you.
I was thinking more along the lines of Alan Curbishley, but he should know all about being in NZ??
There are some big grass roots clubs here, our eledest is with:
http://www.hibiscuscoastafc.org.nz/index.html
They have dozens of teams playing in lots of different levels both within the club (midget level up) and in leagues. I (kinda) played this summer season with a couple of others (past and present) from this board.....
A useful indication of local soccer can be found here:
http://www.unitedsoccer1.org.nz/
But NZ Soccer is in real financial dire straits (paprtly due to the cancelled Fiji game last year) and there was talk recently of adding $10 to each players registration this season to get some more money or going to the Govt. to change the way it is funded:
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/stor...ectid=10491567
Good luck in whatever you do, but remember Kiwis do not ahve a great deal of disposible income but what they do have they will often spend on sport for them or their kids rather than PS3s, etc - which is a great thing!!

Last edited by lardyl; Mar 4th 2008 at 2:49 am.
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:05 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jads
Hi there

The standard of football in NZ is a sticking point for my 10 year old son, and the fact that he doesn't want to leave his beloved football club in the UK (he has played since the age of 5). I am a level 1 coach and love coaching the kids, we visited a few clubs on our recci at his age group and its a bit of a mixture of good and bad!
There was an excellent acadamy in Napier of all places but wasnt right for all of us, I am a bit concerned that we may be taking our son away from a possible dream, but you never know!
It has great potential in NZ and its great to see you interested in taking your talent to NZ.
Do you coach all ages?

Cheers Jads

Thanks for taking the time to post and help. Yes my academy does coach all ages from 5-14 at present and it has a strong structure for learning as well as the only privatly owned academy to hold the English FA Charter mark of quality for the standards set overall. This basically means that we can wear the three lions on our shirts and coaching clothing. Which is a real honour over here. I know that SAFA NZ would be a great assett to all of the kiwi8 children its just how to do it and where, and then getting in!!!! Check out our website at planet-safa.com.

many thanks

Jim
Old Mar 4th 2008, 8:22 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

I would get hold of NZ Soccer direct and see what they say, but as already commented they are in finacial troubles expecting the board to resign.

Personally I think Australia might be a better option, football is really taking off there and they do have a good national team (didn't think I'd every say that). I know Wynton Rufer (NZ football legend) has a football school so you might want to check his website out. [URL=http://www.wynrs.co.nz/[/URL]

Don't take that meaning that you should go to Australia instead, if your heart is set here than it would be a strong plus to NZ football since the disbandment of the National League in 1992 whereby NZ football has slowly gone done the toilet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.