English Chippy

Old Jul 30th 2005, 1:03 am

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future
Default English Chippy

Strange request - I've lived in Auckland for nearly 3 years now.. but have never founf a fish and chip shop that does it the english way (ie with real spuds - not frozen chips!)

Anyone know of any? (gravy and mushy peas optional - but would be nice too!)

Steve
Old Jul 30th 2005, 1:26 am
Franklin

Default Re: English Chippy

Originally Posted by SteveNZ
Strange request - I've lived in Auckland for nearly 3 years now.. but have never founf a fish and chip shop that does it the english way (ie with real spuds - not frozen chips!)

Steve

You have me salivating at the thought of "chips and saveloy" ... ummmmmmmmm

Old Jul 30th 2005, 4:31 am
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Steve,

Where in Auck are You?
Old Jul 30th 2005, 6:23 am

SteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant futureSteveNZ has a brilliant future

West - Te Atatu South

Originally Posted by annaerb
Steve,

Where in Auck are You?
Old Jul 30th 2005, 7:12 am
Not a Junior Member!

Lisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura aboutLisa T has a spectacular aura about

Steve
Try the chippy on the front at Mission Bay - not quite sure whether the chips were fresh or not but they were fab and sitting on the beach eating them was even better.........
Old Jul 30th 2005, 9:22 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Steve
I've yet to find one that didn't cook in disgusting beef fat. :scared:
Old Jul 30th 2005, 10:59 am

Thats partly true in auckland... but actually in auckland there are more and more using canola and other veg oils.. I'm vegetarian ( I know male, vege and in NZ - rare combo!) though I am not totally paranoid - but anything cooked in animal fat tasted disguting - even the mc'd's chips con tain beef fat - even though they are fried in vege oil.

Originally Posted by mumomonty
I've yet to find one that didn't cook in disgusting beef fat. :scared:
Old Aug 1st 2005, 9:53 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Thats partly true in auckland... but actually in auckland there are more and more using canola and other veg oils.. I'm vegetarian ( I know male, vege and in NZ - rare combo!) though I am not totally paranoid - but anything cooked in animal fat tasted disguting - even the mc'd's chips con tain beef fat - even though they are fried in vege oil.
You're not that rare these days. I'm also married to one. M/V and in NZ I mean. Really titted us off when they had the BSE scares in the UK and our usually good supply of Tesco veggie burgers had been taken up by scared carnivores.

The reply you made to my other moany post (enjoy a good whinge as what are POMS for?) was great. I'm glad it's good for you and the rest of the family. I'm here cos it's all my fault I caved into the pressure of thinking that I could not exist in the UK on my own. I'm actually not too unhappy here really considering. I think in the end you just go numb. Wine helps
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:33 am

Hmmm.. tesco veggie burgers.... used to like those - but I really miss Quorn...

One thing I've never worked out though is why the kiwi's have neve worked out how to make a cheese and onion pie....

thanks for the complimemnt on my other post! - I guess there are always negatives to everything - and I think people are as important as the surroundings. I have my sister and her family out here - and my wife's family are NZ'ers - and my parents come out here occasionally to vist (speerately - they are both remarried) so I guess in many ways I am very lucky. - even if I can't buy proper chips

Still the wine over here is very good

You're not that rare these days. I'm also married to one. M/V and in NZ I mean. Really titted us off when they had the BSE scares in the UK and our usually good supply of Tesco veggie burgers had been taken up by scared carnivores.

The reply you made to my other moany post (enjoy a good whinge as what are POMS for?) was great. I'm glad it's good for you and the rest of the family. I'm here cos it's all my fault I caved into the pressure of thinking that I could not exist in the UK on my own. I'm actually not too unhappy here really considering. I think in the end you just go numb. Wine helps
Old Aug 1st 2005, 10:37 am
Member of Mumo-land

Hmmm.. tesco veggie burgers.... used to like those - but I really miss Quorn...

One thing I've never worked out though is why the kiwi's have neve worked out how to make a cheese and onion pie....

thanks for the complimemnt on my other post! - I guess there are always negatives to everything - and I think people are as important as the surroundings. I have my sister and her family out here - and my wife's family are NZ'ers - and my parents come out here occasionally to vist (speerately - they are both remarried) so I guess in many ways I am very lucky. - even if I can't buy proper chips

Still the wine over here is very good
I s'pose they'll get Quorn in 20 or 30 years. Red or white? (wine)
Old Aug 1st 2005, 11:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to allsunshine_and_rain is a name known to all

THANK GOD FOR WINE - AND LOTS OF IT!!!!! - and its cheaper here - kinda!!
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:04 am

I'm a red (wine) man generally - buy both varieties are very good from here.

I s'pose they'll get Quorn in 20 or 30 years. Red or white? (wine)
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 8:09 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Oh gawd so wish we could find a chippy in the South Island that used real fresh spuds for chips. Hate the frozen ones they are so dry not only that they part cook them don't they and then refry when needed so no wonder they have all the moisture cooked out of them.
Old Aug 2nd 2005, 11:59 am

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
Oh gawd so wish we could find a chippy in the South Island that used real fresh spuds for chips. Hate the frozen ones they are so dry not only that they part cook them don't they and then refry when needed so no wonder they have all the moisture cooked out of them.

Why do you think that is.. that they use frozen over real... do you think its cost or what.. now a tattie aint that hard to produce after all.

Sky.. lost your new email address pet so if you get a chance drop me a line
xx
Old Aug 4th 2005, 12:14 pm

Well.... i wish I knew - though I do know that kiwi's think "proper" chips are soggy - as they are used the dried out salty sticks that pass for ships here

Originally Posted by scottish
Why do you think that is.. that they use frozen over real... do you think its cost or what.. now a tattie aint that hard to produce after all.

Sky.. lost your new email address pet so if you get a chance drop me a line
xx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.