Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Engineers and registration

Engineers and registration

Old Aug 11th 2009, 2:11 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute
Question Engineers and registration

We just got our NZQA results back, and in my hubby's papers they had added a comment that he should register with the IPENZ. However, on the INZS pages they say There are no compulsory registration requirements for engineers in New Zealand. However, some employers prefer that engineers are registered with the Institution of Professional Engineers New Zealand (IPENZ). IPENZ represents professional engineers from across the sector in New Zealand.

We looked at the IPENZ registration manual, and the registration process seems like a huge task with requirements for equally qualified referees from NZ etc. etc. Is registration really required for getting a job in NZ or is it something that we can do later when we are there? Or is it needed at all?

Hubby has a M.Sc in Electrical engineering but works in quality management.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 12:25 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineers and registration

I think the response to this largely depends on your husband's professional qualification in the UK. Has he got any post MSc professional registration- if so IPENZ should not be needed provided the registration is recognised. If not then IPENZ would enhance employment prospects over here.

On a personal basis I have professional registration for Civil Engineering from UK(without a MSc)- had no trouble finding a job and nobody is that bothered about IPENZ.

Hope this helps.

M
Old Aug 12th 2009, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

Mgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond reputeMgee has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, he's got a Finnish degree, and here there is no such thing as an engineers' registration. The only way to practise engineering here is to gain a university/ polytechnic degree which is then seen as a qualification and no further registration is needed.

He's done some RF engineering in the past, but for the past 8 years or so, he's really been in management and is looking for a management position also in NZ.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 8:34 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Personally speaking from my own experience I think he will struggle to get a management position straight away.

I do have management qualifications and operated as a senior manager in the Uk before coming here. However, here you generally have to "prove" yourself at a lower level before they will let you loose in management. Having been here now for some 9 months they are now recognising my past "management" experience and skills.

My call is that IPENZ would be a good bet for you- but you will really need to be out here working (albeit potentially at a not purely managerial level) to get it.

This is purely my view (from the Civil Engineering side) and it may be different in electrical engineering. Would you husband be looking for a managerial position in electrical engineering or just general management.

m
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:25 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moomoo
....I do have management qualifications and operated as a senior manager in the Uk before coming here. However, here you generally have to "prove" yourself at a lower level before they will let you loose in management. Having been here now for some 9 months they are now recognising my past "management" experience and skills.
+1 for that.

Also best not to mention, at least until you have been in that lower grade for a while, "how it was done in Europe"/"how I used to approach that problem", unless you are talking to another ex-Pat in your/their office in hushed tones with the door closed. For some reason this can offend the "locals" and get you both into trouble.

Maybe NZIS should offer transfer courses in biting your tongue.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 9:40 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mgee
The thing is, he's got a Finnish degree, and here there is no such thing as an engineers' registration. The only way to practise engineering here is to gain a university/ polytechnic degree which is then seen as a qualification and no further registration is needed.

He's done some RF engineering in the past, but for the past 8 years or so, he's really been in management and is looking for a management position also in NZ.
how about Eur Ing? I thought Finland was represented with FEANI?
I can check if Eur Ing is recognised as I have a very good friend who was the President of IPENZ, but had an operation yesterday so might not be up for talking about it for a while.

Unless you are in the real shortage areas, including Fire Engineering, then I would have thought that its the ususal case of "NZ experience" that many of us have come accross.
Old Aug 13th 2009, 6:16 am
Forum Regular

Wow, how encouraging speculation.

We will look at the Eur Ing and other options just to be on the safe side.