Reload this Page >

Engineering Phd grad looking for advice

Engineering Phd grad looking for advice

Old May 14th 2014, 11:58 am
Just Joined

MrMissGraduates is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Engineering Phd grad looking for advice

Hi everyone!

My partner (25) and I (23) are looking to move to NZ, when he finishes a Phd in Mechanical Engineering in March next year. We are committed to moving away from the UK, as we don't have many job prspects in the south east!

I'm currently studying towards an MA in Social and Political Thought, but I have found my calling as a primary school teaching assistant, a job I love and would like to continue in NZ.

I've spent a few days looking around the forum, before taking the plunge and joining! What I'm wondering, is how likely is it that we would be able to find jobs, with little to no industry experience?

We went to an expo at the weekend and were constantly told to go backpacking and work on a temporary visa, based as far as I can tell on the fact that we are young.
We currently own a flat in the UK, which we would be selling when we move, and feel that a temporary visa, with no guarntees of work or any security just doesn't suit the type of people we are!

Has anyone else made the move without experience? So many examples are based on people who have been in industry for at least a few years, which seems to make all the difference, and I don't want to invest all my hopes on something that may just be impossible.

Sorry for the essay!
MissGraduate
Old May 14th 2014, 11:59 am
Just Joined

MrMissGraduates is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Engineering Phd grad looking for advice

Also, apologies for my terrible typing, the keys on the keyboard are a bit sticky and I'm also negligent when it comes to proofreading
Old May 14th 2014, 4:26 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering Phd grad looking for advice

Hello and welcome to BE!

I can't speak for engineering and the chances of finding work, hopefully someone else will come along and help. Same goes for teaching assistants-there are some teachers on here who may be able to give you some guidance.

Mechanical engineer is on the LTSSL-long term skill shortage list- which gives your partner many visa options if he can find a job.
These are the LTSSL requirements and his qualifications must match exactly: http://www.immigration.govt.nz/templ...=Guest&level=3

Excluding the WHV, the only possible visa that you can get without a job offer is under the Skilled Migrant Category. This is an application for residency and is a permanent visa. It is points based but you would need to get at least 140 points to be selected without a job offer. Currently only those with 140 or more [with or without a job offer] and those with 100 or more WITH a job offer are being selected.
This is a link to the points indicator which gives you a good idea but isn't always exact: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator/
I suspect it is unlikely that both of you will manage to get the required 140 without experience but it could be possible... You both apply on the same application, one as principal candidate and the other as partner [as long as you can prove you've lived together for at least 12 months]

Apart from the Working Holiday Visa, all the other options require a job offer first.

The problem that many report on here is that NZ employers do not understand the visa system [as in job first, visa second] and also show more interest in those actually in NZ. This puts people in a Catch 22 situation-need a visa and be in NZ to get a job, but can't get a visa or necessarily travel to NZ to find a job...

My opinion and it is mine only, is that the WHV is a good option. It allows you to travel to NZ and take up work which can be a springboard to a permanent position and application for a permanent visa. You are young enough to get one and it gives you that option to live in NZ, do some temporary work and look for permanent jobs.
Do you need to sell your house in the UK? If you're concerned about not being able to stay permanently in NZ, why not rent it out?

Oh, and your typing is fine Happy to see someone who isn't looking for 'advise'

P