Engineering

Old Aug 27th 2014, 1:10 pm
Just Joined

mstewart1984 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engineering

Hi everyone!

I am just wondering if someone may be able to provide any information on demand for engineers in NZ (any location) with particular qualifications?

My partner and I are only just beginning to look into emigrating to NZ from Scotland (she is a Degree-qualified critical care nurse with 4 years post-registration experience, so hopefully the Visa shouldn't be too much of an issue). I have completed an HND in Aircraft Engineering (qualification awarded by SQA), and have been working as a Design Engineer at BAE Systems for just over a year now.

I appreciate that ideally, I'd have a fully recognized Degree and more experience, and I know that Aerospace jobs aren't too easy to come by in NZ, however, I really just want to know if I would be able to find Engineering employment with the qualifications and experience I have, or do the majority of Engineering jobs tend to require a Degree-level qualification? The potential jobs I'd be looking at would be in Design, Aerospace, Mechanical or Structural engineering.

I know that I'd have to go through the process of having my qualification recognized by NZQA etc, but in the meantime, I'm just trying to work out how employable I'd be so that I wouldn't go over there and be unable to find work.

Thanks!
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:18 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineering

Hi and welcome to the forum

I've moved your post over to our NZ section as you will likely get more responses here.
Old Aug 27th 2014, 8:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

welcome to BE.

I really don't have a clue on what type of jobs to look for so I would suggest you look on Trademe or Seek and put your skills sets in there and see what pops up
Old Aug 28th 2014, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Soozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant futureSoozi has a brilliant future

The CareersNZ website may be useful too:

Engineering - Jobs in this industry

Good luck!