British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Empty house in Rotorua!!!!! Can anyone help (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/empty-house-rotorua-can-anyone-help-700410/)

marbles Jan 13th 2011 5:40 am

Empty house in Rotorua!!!!! Can anyone help

Hi,
We've just found out that the house we are moving into on Tuesday 18th in Rotorua is now completley empty! :thumbdown:
She was supposed to be leaving various items from a bed, sofas, tv, fridge and some kitchen stuff but she now says that the packers have taken everything. Our stuff doesn't arrive into Tauranga port till the 8th Feb so its going to be at least a week after that when we get it.
we are looking at about 4 weeks with nothing apart from 2 beds for the boys which my mum has donated.
If anyone has anything they don't want lying around in their garage and they want to give it a new home we would love to have it (a fridge would be especially usefull)

:fingerscrossed:
Helen

lisamct Jan 13th 2011 7:15 am

Re: Empty house in Rotorua!!!!! Can anyone help

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 9097851)
Hi,
We've just found out that the house we are moving into on Tuesday 18th in Rotorua is now completley empty! :thumbdown:
She was supposed to be leaving various items from a bed, sofas, tv, fridge and some kitchen stuff but she now says that the packers have taken everything. Our stuff doesn't arrive into Tauranga port till the 8th Feb so its going to be at least a week after that when we get it.
we are looking at about 4 weeks with nothing apart from 2 beds for the boys which my mum has donated.
If anyone has anything they don't want lying around in their garage and they want to give it a new home we would love to have it (a fridge would be especially usefull)

Helen

Bugger, thats not so good really is it! Afraid I dont have anything in the way of furniture, I didnt bring any with me and bought new when I got here so dont have 'spares'.
I do have a spare queen (NZ Queen so pretty much King size) quilt and 4 pillows, a kettle and a toaster (cheapish Warehouse specials that I used until my stuff arrived but perfectly good for a week or 2) that your more than welcome to if they're of any use.

Gill and Rob Jan 13th 2011 7:50 am

http://mrrental1-px.rtrk.com.au/Find...Of-Plenty.aspx

Try this company.

We had the same problem when we arrived in Rotorua. Ended up buying bits and pieces from the Warehouse, however I'll have a look through our cupboards. What about buying a fridge that'll end up being your beer/wine fridge?

Cheers Gill

mwhite1962 Jan 13th 2011 8:03 am

Hi,

Helen

Hi Helen,
I think we may be walking into the same situation as you, so very helpful you asking the question, especially if the link that Gill provided for the rental shop is still good.
Good luck with everything else.

lisamct Jan 13th 2011 8:10 am

The rental shop is definitely still there, I drove past it today getting a KFC after work!

simonsi Jan 13th 2011 8:41 am

Mr Rental and airbeds....did us for 9 weeks!

If anyone is wondering, the trick with airbeds is not to blow them up too hard...

mwhite1962 Jan 13th 2011 8:53 am

[QUOTE=lisamct;9098076]The rental shop is definitely still there, I drove past it today getting a KFC after work![/QUO

They have a KFC:thumbsup:

The cooker can take as long as it likes to arrive now!!!!

lisamct Jan 13th 2011 9:00 am

[QUOTE=mwhite1962;9098149]

Originally Posted by lisamct (Post 9098076)
The rental shop is definitely still there, I drove past it today getting a KFC after work![/QUO

They have a KFC:thumbsup:

The cooker can take as long as it likes to arrive now!!!!

:D We have several!
The women in the birthing unit at the hospital wouldn't eat at all if it wasn' t for KFC, seems to be some sort of rule here...giving birth is 'rewarded' with as much KFC as you can physically fit in one bag!

bunnyphobia Jan 13th 2011 5:59 pm

[QUOTE=lisamct;9098160]

Originally Posted by mwhite1962 (Post 9098149)

:D We have several!
The women in the birthing unit at the hospital wouldn't eat at all if it wasn' t for KFC, seems to be some sort of rule here...giving birth is 'rewarded' with as much KFC as you can physically fit in one bag!

Heehee :D

marbles Jan 13th 2011 6:02 pm

Cheers everyone, just having a look at the rental place on line and that might be a solution. already got plates, cups, bowls and side plates so we've made a start!

mwhite1962 Jan 20th 2011 4:31 am

Originally Posted by marbles (Post 9099224)
Cheers everyone, just having a look at the rental place on line and that might be a solution. already got plates, cups, bowls and side plates so we've made a start!

Have tried Mr Rentals, and was told by the nice lady at reception that they dont cater for short term rentals, i.e 3 months!

However they did point me in the direction of DTR in Hinemoa Street, got to say they were very helpful and have gone out of there way to get us some much needed stuff, so did say i would mention them on here( if i am allowed?)

www.dtr.co.nz

RobDon Jan 21st 2011 3:28 am

Originally Posted by mwhite1962 (Post 9115149)
Have tried Mr Rentals, and was told by the nice lady at reception that they dont cater for short term rentals, i.e 3 months!

However they did point me in the direction of DTR in Hinemoa Street, got to say they were very helpful and have gone out of there way to get us some much needed stuff, so did say i would mention them on here( if i am allowed?)

www.dtr.co.nz

We hired a washing machine from them for a month when we first arrived then extended it by another month the day
before they were due to collect it! :thumbsup:
Excellent service and would recommend them. :thumbup:

Expat Kiwi Jan 21st 2011 5:52 am

She was supposed to be leaving various items from a bed, sofas, tv, fridge and some kitchen stuff but she now says that the packers have taken everything.

Hah. Not the old "blame it on the packers trick" ? and KFC is the national dish of New Zealand.

Good luck with finding a furnished rental.

BEVS Jan 23rd 2011 4:13 am

Hi,

Helen

Sorry to read this. Blummin' nightmare. :thumbdown:

Out of interest , have you negotiated a reduction in your rent for what is now an unfurnished property. I would be doing this to offset the cost of hiring furniture and equipment & having to buy bits a bobs.

Shame we are so far away. We have stuff you could have borrowed.

marbles Jan 23rd 2011 6:47 pm

Everything fine now, we have bought/borrowed everything we need now and can comfortably wait for our container to arrive in about 3 weeks.
Thanks for everyone who read this or replied, it was appreciated
Helen