Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Employment in NZ and UK credit checks

Employment in NZ and UK credit checks

Old Feb 19th 2019, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Koalabear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment in NZ and UK credit checks

Does anyone know whether banks carry out credit checks as part of their pre-employment screening? Or do they only check NZ credit history?

I have found almost nothing concrete online, and conflicting information on another forum (two posters saying that the banks only checked NZ credit history and another, on a separate thread altogether, saying that she had a credit check – both threads from 2009 though). It has been suggested that what they claim to be a credit report is actually a check on public information such as CCJs, bankruptcy etc.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by BEVS; Feb 26th 2019 at 11:08 pm. Reason: snips
Old Feb 19th 2019, 11:19 pm
Forum Regular

katie8383 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment in NZ and UK credit checks

Hi

I had to give my employer (a NZ bank) consent to do UK credit checks and UK criminal checks when I got my job here. I already had a police clearance that I got with my visa, but they still did the check. The checks were with first advantage. I have been in my new job for 4 weeks now and have no idea of the status of these checks.

I also had to give consent for them to contact my UK employers and my University too to check my degree is legit (and I'm working in a basic entry level position!)

I have found employers here to be very thorough with their checks. My partner doesn't have a particularly great credit rating and he had to agree to checks too, but nothing has ever come from them.

​​​​​​

Last edited by katie8383; Feb 19th 2019 at 11:21 pm.
Old Feb 20th 2019, 12:42 am
Just Joined

Koalabear is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Katie,
Thank you for your reply to my post. Do you know whether it was a credit report or checks for public information such as CCJs, bankruptcy and CIFAs? I don’t have any of those and I also have my police certificate which I used for my Visa application (plus higher education and professional qualifications’ certificates). I’ve never been dismissed from my job, no gaps in my employment history so just that one issue

On a separate note, how long did the background checks take? I’ve been advised 4-6 weeks, so I’ve refrained from giving my notice in and have come back to the U.K. while I see this job opportunity through and continue to apply for others. I am pretty flexible with my ability to jump on a plane and having a place to live etc, and it seemed crazy to leave my job here with nothing to go to, especially considering how long the recruitment process seems to take!
Old Feb 20th 2019, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

katie8383 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey.

I asked my employer about this and the report is a standard credit report I believe. If you're score is over a certain number then it's all good, if it falls below their requirements then they will discuss this with you and listen to why this is.

I don't think it will be a simple case of you haven't passed so you can't work for them. I started with my employer before I'd even finished consenting to all the reference checks, so I have no idea what the status is! If I hear nothing though then that means it's all good.

I don't have a 5 star credit rating (still have a couple of credit cards I'm paying off) but I'm not worried. I wouldn't worry if I were you as it seems you have a genuine reason and back story behind the unpaid credit card.