Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

Old May 4th 2010, 1:30 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

More on here for a rant than anything else as none of you can help me with this and I am furious. As those of you who frequent the bar [you know who you are!] will know, I have not been very happy with my new employer. His lack of courtesy, constant monitoring and unnecessary criticism of all staff and lack of management ability means that I wanted to leave pretty much straight away. There is sooo much more that I could add but will stop there
Well he has now gone and done something unforgivable in my eyes.

I have been working a couple of days a week with the understanding that I would go fulltime in May. I had my rota all ready to go and was called into the managers office to discuss rota changes at the end of last week. I thought, maybe an extra hour here and there. Got handed a rota which has me working only 1 day a week and told that someone else who used to work there wants a permanent job so XXXX has gone and hired him/her. I haven't signed a contract yet as everytime I asked I got told 'XXXX has yet to check it...'.
I know, I shouldn't have trusted him but what can you do?.
The worst thing is that I had turned down other offers as I don't expect people to behave like this at all, too naive obviously
I feel such a fool.
He's a prick, can't wait to leave!!! Sorry B but that volcano couldn't wait until the 15th and sorry Flower Pot, not feeling very positive today

Last edited by Persephone; May 4th 2010 at 1:42 am.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:12 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

Ok. That deserves one of my AArrrggghhhs

What a lowlife scumbag tosspot.
Old May 4th 2010, 2:46 am
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Def with Bev's on this one....lowlife scumbag tosspot etc etc ....think that maybe we're being a bit too kind here but wouldn't want to offend
And don't worry about erupting before 15th get out of that job!!
B x
Old May 4th 2010, 3:29 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Ok. That deserves one of my AArrrggghhhs

What a lowlife scumbag tosspot.
Originally Posted by MnB
Def with Bev's on this one....lowlife scumbag tosspot etc etc ....think that maybe we're being a bit too kind here but wouldn't want to offend
And don't worry about erupting before 15th get out of that job!!
B x
Thanks I need some support!

As far as getting out is concerned, I am trying to work out the best way. I could just walk out but I still need some income until something else comes along [that is in hand by the way]
There's also the problem of working in a small profession where everyone knows everyone else and I have to be careful to protect my reputation by not giving him anything to use against me. I know that there is nothing he can complain about in terms of my work or attitude so I have to stay calm and not say what I want to say to him in order to protect myself.
I may be over reacting though as that can work both ways, it may be well known around here that he is a lowlife scumbag tosspot as BEVS summed him up so very very well
Old May 4th 2010, 3:34 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Persephone
Thanks I need some support!

As far as getting out is concerned, I am trying to work out the best way. I could just walk out but I still need some income until something else comes along [that is in hand by the way]
There's also the problem of working in a small profession where everyone knows everyone else and I have to be careful to protect my reputation by not giving him anything to use against me. I know that there is nothing he can complain about in terms of my work or attitude so I have to stay calm and not say what I want to say to him in order to protect myself.
I may be over reacting though as that can work both ways, it may be well known around here that he is a lowlife scumbag tosspot as BEVS summed him up so very very well
I heard he's lovely and speaks very highly of you ...

Joking aside, what a dick. It always astounds me when I hear stories like these, whatever happened to "treat others as you would wish to be treated?" Really hope something better comes along quickly for you.
Old May 4th 2010, 3:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

you are not on your own i have had guys look me in the eye and shake hands on a deal and then they just change there mind when you start work for them, it was really starting to get me down but you just gotta bite your lip like you say "it,s not a big place"

Is XXXX that wants a full time job a Kiwi per chance

Neil
Old May 4th 2010, 4:01 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
I heard he's lovely and speaks very highly of you ...

Joking aside, what a dick. It always astounds me when I hear stories like these, whatever happened to "treat others as you would wish to be treated?" Really hope something better comes along quickly for you.
Hmm he hides it well then!
I'd take it personally if he behaved differently towards other staff, but he's a dick to them as well. Don't know how they stick it, but then a job is a job.
I knew it was going to be bad when various members of staff made disparaging comments [and not just your usual little annoyances] about him in front of me when I'd only been there two days. Too much too soon= not good You usually have to have been there for a while before staff include you in any grievances
Did think about contacting my occupation's regulatory body but not sure whether that would achieve anything.
Just feel shocked that someone would do this...Maybe I've just been lucky and had some great employers in the past [in NZ and the UK]
Old May 4th 2010, 4:13 am
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by Jan n Neil
you are not on your own i have had guys look me in the eye and shake hands on a deal and then they just change there mind when you start work for them, it was really starting to get me down but you just gotta bite your lip like you say "it,s not a big place"

Is XXXX that wants a full time job a Kiwi per chance

Neil

Not just me then though I am hoping that it is just a one off.

Don't have a clue about the one who has my job, was too shocked and angry to ask. He left it to the manager to tell me, only found out when she presented me with a new rota that started the following week. Hasn't even had the decency and courtesy to tell me himself
In my more calm moments I can see that it means I have a good reason to give future employers as to why I left, I couldn't have stayed there much longer with his bad attitude. Stupid me turned away other work since I thought I had a job...
Old May 4th 2010, 8:12 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

............it means I have a good reason to give future employers as to why I left...

This might seem so at the minute, but it usually a really, really bad idea to bad mouth your previous employers, and pretty much every employment advice professional/website you could visit will tell you the same.
Sorry to hear your tale by the way, hopefully your woes will lead others to make sure they get a signed contract soon as.

Last edited by hazeandsteve; May 4th 2010 at 9:53 am. Reason: spelling
Old May 4th 2010, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

See an employment lawyer or contact department of labour

You have to have a written contract.
If you do not have one your employer is in breach of the law simple as that.
Old May 4th 2010, 4:42 pm

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

What a git... messing with people lives and not giving a crap

I know it doesn't help you now but I'm a firm believer in karma and what goes around comes around, so he's gotta lotta crap coming his way!

If all his staff speak to badly of him isn't there someone higher up you can all go to about him? Or would that damage the reputation thing?

what you have in the pipeline goes well
Old May 4th 2010, 9:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

weejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond reputeweejie has a reputation beyond repute

Needs to be said in a very gruff Scottish accent

" what a f@@king w$nker,by the way!! "

Best get out of there doll. But keep your dignity and reputation intact,don't start a slanging match. You may need a reference of sorts so vent off here or in the bar we're all ears.

Phyl x
Old May 4th 2010, 10:02 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Totally agree Perse. Keep your true feelings under wraps. It's so true about everyone knowing everyone else. It's the same in the trades around here. Actually , it's true of most employment . It's also about who you know, as we know.

Fingers crossed that you find summat else very soon. Even then, if it were me, I'd keep quiet about the experience. You never can know who is related to who.

Last edited by BEVS; May 4th 2010 at 10:04 pm.
Old May 4th 2010, 10:37 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Thanks everyone, getting a little bit calmer every day

Just to clarify though, when I mentioned having a good reason to give other employers as to why I left I meant the reduction in hours only and definitely had no intention of giving the 'other' reasons I wouldn't hire someone who badmouthed an ex employer, however justified that was. Dropping me from fulltime to one day a week is a justifiable reason to look elsewhere. My previous excuse was going to be that I wanted somewhere closer to home, it's further than I wanted to be especially when I finish late. There is no one higher up I can speak to as he owns the business.

Not having a contract is another problem, I have asked a few times over the last month only to be told 'he has yet to check it' so what do you do? Refuse to work until I get one or trust that it is in hand? Though I had pretty much decided to leave soon after I started so was less concerned about the lack of contract.
Will be a little less trusting in future

Last edited by Persephone; May 4th 2010 at 10:41 pm.
Old May 5th 2010, 2:15 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

Sorry to hear that pet.

What we really want to know is if we get free drinks yet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.