Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

Old May 5th 2010, 10:21 am
BE Enthusiast

CAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of lightCAN2NZ is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Employer troubles, well more a rant really...

As your employer has it seems acted outside the law here on his paperwork, you have not been given a contract, i suggest that you consult professional advice. Just for your information, you don't have to do anything with it. However, you may have a grievance and may be compensated. However, this may not be worthwhile, but you may want to put $150 out to find out.
Old May 5th 2010, 7:23 pm

pestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the roughpestman is a jewel in the rough

As I have been an employer here (6 employees) I can honestly say staff are a bloody nightmare.

It's the main reason I have given up my heat pump biz and gone back to being little old me as I earn just as much minus all the crap!

Im not for one moment stating that you fll into the above group.

What I will say though is this.

Take some advice from the Citizen advice bureau,IRD and alike as employment law is a real git to get your head around.

As a part time worker were you on a probation period? If so and you worked less than 3 months I would think you dont have much of a case (i would say though that this is total guesswork on my front as Im no expert and pay for the real advice!)

What I can say is that as an employer even if I caught an employee on tape red handed stealing from me it would cost me approx $1000 just to fire them without fear of reprisal. Thats to pay a lawyer to make sure all the i's are dotted etc.

So any 'investigation' into this you start will cost them money to defend.

would I bother? would it rub off on you in the future? and are you being totaly truthfull with the circumstances you state?

these are ?'s to ask as they will be asked of you if you push this.

Hope in a strange way this helps!

good luck
Old May 5th 2010, 10:36 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks George, yes I'm sure many staff out there are a bloody nightmare. I've worked with a few that would make me want to take the risk of unlawful dismissal if I'd employed them...

I am hard pressed to see how I could be described as such in that I feel I have behaved in a professional manner and done the work as expected of me. I have not said anything about him to anyone at work or got involved in any 'slagging off' sessions, I have made up my own opinion on seeing how he is with me AND his staff generally. If anyone has had a moan I have done no more than smile sympathetically and leave it at that. Not my place to get involved and I tend not to anyway.

I don't think I want to take it further, just want to move on and forget it. Even then I will give notice; I am not going to give him any cause for complaint and wish to retain my professional integrity even if it means little to him. With it being little more than a verbal agreement since no contract was signed [even though he is at fault there] then I don't see how it will benefit me longterm to do anything about it. It may be that my regulatory body would see it as unethical behaviour even if not truly unlawful but again that could open up a whole can of worms for my prospects in the future. Tempting though it is!
Thanks again
Old May 5th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Not giving you a contract is un lawful

However, sometimes it's best to cut your losses. It's really difficult when you work in a small field as you don't want to ruin you professional reputation so people tend not to say. Totally understandable.

But it's dreadful that it's this that means that people are not held account and abuse and bully their staff with impunity.

I challenged something once when I was full of vitriole and vinegar but it was really stressful and i'm not sure that I would go through it again
Old May 5th 2010, 10:50 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Not giving you a contract is un lawful

However, sometimes it's best to cut your losses. It's really difficult when you work in a small field as you don't want to ruin you professional reputation so people tend not to say. Totally understandable.

But it's dreadful that it's this that means that people are not held account and abuse and bully their staff with impunity.

I challenged something once when I was full of vitriole and vinegar but it was really stressful and i'm not sure that I would go through it again
Yes unlawful was not the word I should have used there
I know that the 'right' thing is to challenge it so that people start to realise that they can be held to account. But I have to be selfish and protect my future unfortunately.
I have only ever stood up to an employer once [only ever needed to once] and this was after months of crap from him. It worked that time and he gained a lot more respect for me after that, even inviting me round for Xmas dinner when I was on call later the same year. Though it was very stressful at the time and would rather not have to do it.

Last edited by Persephone; May 5th 2010 at 11:01 pm.