Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emotional at leaving the Uk. Why !!!

Emotional at leaving the Uk. Why !!!

Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

yjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond reputeyjx1nt7 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emotional at leaving the Uk. Why !!!

Hi
Now the reality has finally hit me that we are really emigrating in December Did anyone feel quite tearful at the prospect of going ? Don t get me wrong I really want to go and Im looking forward to our new life. But I m feeling so emotional lately at the prospect of leaving people and what is actually ahead of us.
Friends have said its only natural, but Im bursting into tears at the thought of everything ahead of us and the what if scenarios.I know it d daft as we ve wanted this for so long...
Old Nov 6th 2010, 2:54 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emotional at leaving the Uk. Why !!!

Sounds normal to me

I used to get tearful and well-up during the last six weeks or so - at just about anything!

But when we had our farewell party, I thought I'd be an absolute heap, and I didn't cry at all - by that time, I was so knackered, excited and stressed, it all felt right after all.

Good luck
Old Nov 6th 2010, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

we leave in december too so i'm half excited and half nervous, i'm just not going to say bye to people as though i'm never going to see them again just say see you soon. If i think like that then it doesn't seem to upset me. My mum lives in NZ and i haven't seen her in over 5 years but its been fine as we've talked every week on the phone. I don't think you have to think too much about what you are doing and just do it.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 4:17 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yjx1nt7
Hi
Now the reality has finally hit me that we are really emigrating in December Did anyone feel quite tearful at the prospect of going ? Don t get me wrong I really want to go and Im looking forward to our new life. But I m feeling so emotional lately at the prospect of leaving people and what is actually ahead of us.
Friends have said its only natural, but Im bursting into tears at the thought of everything ahead of us and the what if scenarios.I know it d daft as we ve wanted this for so long...
I remember about 3 months before we flew to Australia, I was at a London train station listing to the Salvation Army doing their xmas carols and I was crying my eyes out. In fact I never realised I could cry quite so much, neither did my husband when it came to the day before flying out to Perth after I said goodbye to my Dad, two hours later Mr PP looked at me and said 'Are you still crying?"

It is normal, it can be likened to saying 'goodbye' to your old life and jumping into the unknown. Dont be too hard on yourself, take each hour as it comes, split the day into chunks and tell yourself its normal, it lessens and if you are kind to yourself, you do get there - mentally as well as physically.

Dont underestimate how hard it is but at the same time try not to be too overwhelmed. Take a step back and go with the flow.

But what you are feeling is totally normal.

Last edited by Cheetah7; Nov 6th 2010 at 4:30 pm.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 5:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

PS, if I can give you any advice at this point - don't allow relatives to come to the airport with you
Old Nov 6th 2010, 6:31 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
PS, if I can give you any advice at this point - don't allow relatives to come to the airport with you
Yep, airport taxi and no "well wishers" of any kind, they really donĀ“t help anyone at that point.
Old Nov 6th 2010, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Yep, airport taxi and no "well wishers" of any kind, they really donĀ“t help anyone at that point.

I agree with that each time we go to NZ when we are leaving our Grandson always says I don't have to do the airport thing do I. He has only been once and that was enough for him.

June
Old Nov 6th 2010, 8:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

bevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond reputebevissa65 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
Ha, remember that so well Made the mistake of ringing my dad from Heathrow to start sobbing all over again. All completely normal. You aint exactly going just across the channel are you? . Enjoy the journey and look forward not back. Good luck Bevissa
Old Nov 6th 2010, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
Ditto what he says!!
Old Nov 6th 2010, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Your leaving the West Midlands
(i say no more)
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:21 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Hi
It didn't affect me at all.......until the airport. Both my parents, my Dad's partner and my wife and kids were all there to say goodbye (the wife and kids came over a month later). I was fine with it all until my Son started to cry....then it all hit home!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Soppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud ofSoppydot4 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ann m
I agree with this too. I went to the airport when my sister emigrated because I wouldn't have been able to live with myself if I hadn't. Then when it was our turn, I didn't want anyone there. It felt more like going on holiday than emigrating even though we'd sold up, packed up and spent 2 nights in a hotel!!!! Good luck with the move over.

PS how you're feeling is completely normal
Old Nov 7th 2010, 7:05 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hi
Totally normal Its a massive life change and that in itself is scary. But it's fab at the same time. That's the best piece of advice from Simonsi as well, defo no well wishers at the airport! You'll just be ready to collapse at the bar with a well-deserved drink. Or boo-hooing like I was - I mean why on earth would I ever miss Heathrow airport???!

Enjoy it all and good luck
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:50 am
Just Joined

braddles is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't get too upset with the "what-if" scenarios. Although small, New Zealand is a very flexible country. There is something for everyone.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 3:46 pm
Forum Regular

louloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to alllouloumama is a name known to all

oh my ..... you describe exactly how i am feeling at the mo.

We fly out in January and extremes of emotion are definitely being experience .... one minute so excited and cannot wait......... the next terrified and thinking oh my god are we making a big mistake.

If it was just me and hubby i would maybe feel (i think) a bit easier as if things didn't work out I am only responsible for me and my life !!! .... BUT we have three kidiwinks who I hope that we are not about to totally mess things up for them

You are not alone !!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.