Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emirates baggage allowance

Emirates baggage allowance

Old Jan 13th 2008, 10:12 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future
Default Emirates baggage allowance

Hi All

We have booked flights with emirates and they have told us baggage allowance is 20kg per person.
Does anyone know have strict they are about this?
Would they charge us if we are over?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates baggage allowance

If you have PR I suggest you call in advance and ask if they can increase the baggage allowance as you are emigrating - worked for us with Singapore Airlines.

Try and get it in writing too so that you don't have any problems on check-in.
Old Jan 13th 2008, 6:06 pm
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Thanks for that. We are waiting for our PR which should be through in time (we fly mid Feb). I have rang them about this, and they will increase it to 40kilos.
I was just concerned that if we go on a work permit, which is still possible if PR is delayed, and we are over, they will charge us.

How strict are they normally?
Old Jan 13th 2008, 8:27 pm
Forum Regular

Archangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really niceArchangel is just really nice

I am only going on personal experience, but I don't think they would charge you if you're a few, ks over.
Old Jan 14th 2008, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

Barpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant futureBarpolo has a brilliant future

Hi
I flew emirates from UK to Christchurch via Dubai for 2 nights and I had 24kgs and the limit was 20kgs. Nobody said anything to me.

I am on a visitors visa
Old Jan 14th 2008, 8:01 am
sean n

Nice one, thanks for that. I think I will take a chance and take a full case.
Old Feb 27th 2008, 6:20 pm
Just Joined

MaxG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sean n
Thanks for that. We are waiting for our PR which should be through in time (we fly mid Feb). I have rang them about this, and they will increase it to 40kilos.
Resurrecting an old thread, I know, but who would you actually phone to arrange this? I phoned reservations today (having booked my ticket online) and they categorically denied that any such thing was possible. Yet I've seen many posts on various forums from people who HAVE been given a 40kg allowance.
Old Feb 28th 2008, 8:20 am

Tan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond reputeTan0410 has a reputation beyond repute

Singapore Airlines give additional (double) baggage allowance automatically providing you are emigrating and have an unused migrant visa that states 'to remain in NZ indefinitely'.

This makes 40kg per adult, 40kg per child, 10kg per infant (no different in last case)
This was checked out through the reservations phone number and basically means that the only way you get the allowance is if you have PR without a job offer and have not yet activated your visa. They were very strict about this over the phone.

There is another member of the forum who were allowed the additional baggage allowance without having the above stipulations covered...can't remember exactly what type of visa they had (sorry). However, I believe that this may have been because check-in either did not notice or did not know about the stipulations. Depends if you feel like (or can afford) chancing it.

Tan