Emirates?

Old Apr 6th 2011, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future
Default Emirates?

Hi all

So I've been in touch with the travel agent organising our flights... they have suggested Emirates from B'ham - Auckland since they allow a standard baggage allowance of 30kgs.

Has anyone flown with these guys? Happy? Do they do any "deals" on additional allowances for immigrants?

Cheers!
R.
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:17 pm
nik
Forum Regular

nik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nicenik is just really nice
Default Re: Emirates?

Hi
I haven't flown with them, but my friends fly with them a lot and really rate them. They were the cheapest when we were looking but with 2 kids with us we weren't keen on the 2 stops options so went for Malaysian instead which was 24 hrs total travelling time.

we looked at opening a bank account with ANZ in advance and they did a migration deal of 50kgs and I am sure it was on Emirates so might be worth a look.

Having said that, we had so much luggage and hand luggage we thought we would never get away with out paying excess baggage and the check in lady didn't blink at the weight of the luggage or check how much hand baggage we had - so you never know you might be lucky!!
Old Apr 6th 2011, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

Thanks for info. I've contacted Emirates and travel agent to ask. I suppose 111kgs between three of us, including carry on stuff, isn't too bad... but 171kgs would be better! I ain't paying the extortionate charges advertised on the website though!
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:04 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not a fan of Emirates and their standards have got rather budget of late. Their better planes tend to be the ones that go via Sydney, rather than Brisbane.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Salisbury, UK to Auckland, NZ - now back in the UK!
celeliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the rough

I have flown with Emirates in the past and have found them to be very good especially they let you take 30kgs of luggage per person, so can't really complain.

When do you hope to fly out to Auckland?
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Our flights will be via Sydney - is it a stay on the plane job?

We're leaving in July
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:14 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

That's good You'll probably get off so they can freshen up the plane before the next lot gets on, will give you a chance to stretch your legs before the last bit.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 12:24 am
Forum Regular

Location: From Salisbury, UK to Auckland, NZ - now back in the UK!
celeliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the roughceleliza is a jewel in the rough

I arrived in Auckland in July 2009 with Emirates and I remember it was a nice and warm day. All the best for your move Rick.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 2:51 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rick78
Hi all

So I've been in touch with the travel agent organising our flights... they have suggested Emirates from B'ham - Auckland since they allow a standard baggage allowance of 30kgs.

Has anyone flown with these guys? Happy? Do they do any "deals" on additional allowances for immigrants?

Cheers!
R.
We have flown with Emirates, once on a return trip from Birmingham to Auckland and again when we came out one way in Aug 2008. They were absolutely fantastic and couldn't fault them in any way I honestly don't remember having 30kg so that is amazing but I do seem to remember having some added on for immigrants. Check out their website or give them a call, we have always found them very helpful.

Good luck.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 3:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Husband is on an Emirates flight from B'Ham to Auckland as I type.

We've flown with them a few times and it's always been fine.

They were absolutely brilliant when I had to book a sudden mercy dash to get to my Dad & on my return after my Dad passed away.

There is normally a touch down in Australia. Not too long a wait. Just enough to get out and stretch the legs before getting back on for the long leg to Dubai.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

KayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud ofKayC has much to be proud of

Hi,
I just flew out with Emirates - we went via Melbourne as we were stopping off there for a couple of weeks. The plane we went on from London to Dubai was an A380 which seemed a bit bigger than the 777 from Dubai to Melbourne. So it may be worth asking which plane you are flying on. I had my 2 little ones with me aged 2 and 3.5 and the staff were fantastic - I couldn't fault them one bit. (my OH was already in Auckland and my parents flew to Melbourne with me) My flight from Melbourne to Auckland I was on my own with the 2 children and the staff took my bags off me and one of the children so we could get to our seats then throughout the flight they were very helpful and get anything we needed.

I asked about extra luggage allowance and they said that I couldn't have any even though were were emigrating.

I would most definitely fly with them again.

Kay

Hi all

Cheers!
R.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 7:32 am
Forum Regular

johnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nicejohnht is just really nice

Rick,
Can't recall which shipping co you ended up with, but I've just got a quote from Anglo Pacific and one of their offers through 'associated companies' is a 40kg allowance with Qantas - of course Qantas might cost more than Emirates.
John.
Old Apr 7th 2011, 10:12 am
Forum Regular

keeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud ofkeeny has much to be proud of

Hi all

Cheers!
R.
We came out with Emirates too in July 09, we were way over our 30kg allowance. Can't recall by how much. Thought I'd face the music and contact them before hand to find out how much they'd charge me at check in, as I'd heard that there were no extra allowances for people migrating with a lot of luggage. Was informed that our excess baggage charge would be a few hundred pounds! Thought we'd have no choice but to pay up. Got to check in and thank the lord the young lady didn't say a word about it. (think she was too busy coo'ing over my 5wk old daughter tho!)
Old Apr 7th 2011, 11:42 am
Forum Regular

gazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond reputegazmfc has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all

Cheers!
R.
Hi Rick,

I went with Emirates in November from Newcastle via Dubai, KL, and Melbourne. I thought the airline was good, nice food, good selection of films and pleasant flight attendants etc. My only reservation would be the number of stops, 2 hours in Dubai, 1 hour in KL and a couple of hours in Melbourne, although I got off for a week in Melbourne.

We are off to Auckland in July too, we are going with Air NZ via LA where we are stopping for a week. We have a couple of young children and didn't fancy the multiple stops and the potential heat and humidity of one of the Islands in the South Pacific so went the the other way instead. When are you going? We're off on the 15th
Old Apr 8th 2011, 4:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for all help guys

We're flying out 21st July and it'll be with Emirates... stopping in Dubai and Sydney. The allowance is 30kg but I contacted ANZ and they are still running the offer with Emirates where you can get 50kg but you need to buy tickets in a specific way... so I don't think that will work (have asked the travel agency who are booking my tickets though ).

We've also all enrolled in Skywards miles club... should rack them up quite quickly flying to and from Auckland (although not very often of course!).

Kinda scary having a date now... and I saw a world map yesterday and got quite emotional!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.