Reload this Page >

Emigrating to NZ - Honest Views?

Emigrating to NZ - Honest Views?

Old Oct 17th 2016, 7:44 pm
Just Joined

EmigratingToNZ is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Emigrating to NZ - Honest Views?

Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so i will introduce myself. My partner and I are thinking of emigrating to NZ, we both have degrees myself in Law and a masters in Criminal Justice and my partner a degree in Business Management and has completed her PGCE to become a teacher.

What are your honest views of emigrating to NZ? Would you recommend two young people starting out in their careers to stay in the UK and come out later or to start off in NZ?

What are the general views of teachers and police officers in NZ?

We have researched NZ a lot but any useful information anybody could add would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Oct 17th 2016, 8:40 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to NZ - Honest Views?

welcome

firstly you would need to see if you could be eligible for a visa, the rules changes last week so if you had looked before then you need to recheck.

Teachers are on the accreditation lists but it is over subscribed with a glut of NZ trained teachers not able to get positions accept for area's that they don't want to go to.

As for Police officers, you have to be a Citizen to apply, as with all countries there are good and bad ones. Gangs seem to be more public over here, well compared to where I used to live, so maybe they have to deal with more gang related incidents. P is a real problem here so guess there would be lost of clearing out that type of mess as well.

I have only had dealings with police 3 times, 2 for breath tests, lots of that goes on on a Friday and Saturday night and then when I wanted to clarify the right of way at a particular junction. all were pleasant but then I believe if you show them respect that they deserve you will more often than not get a good interaction.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 9:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
As for Police officers, you have to be a Citizen to apply,
Has this changed? A neighbour of ours joined the police a couple of years ago & he was only a permanent resident, not Citizen.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

EmigratingToNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

welcome

firstly you would need to see if you could be eligible for a visa, the rules changes last week so if you had looked before then you need to recheck.

Teachers are on the accreditation lists but it is over subscribed with a glut of NZ trained teachers not able to get positions accept for area's that they don't want to go to.

As for Police officers, you have to be a Citizen to apply, as with all countries there are good and bad ones. Gangs seem to be more public over here, well compared to where I used to live, so maybe they have to deal with more gang related incidents. P is a real problem here so guess there would be lost of clearing out that type of mess as well.

I have only had dealings with police 3 times, 2 for breath tests, lots of that goes on on a Friday and Saturday night and then when I wanted to clarify the right of way at a particular junction. all were pleasant but then I believe if you show them respect that they deserve you will more often than not get a good interaction.
Hi thanks for your reply.

We are aiming for the skilled migrant visa, just re checked and should still be eligible to apply.

Very interesting to know about the teachers struggling to get jobs.

As far as I am aware Mickey, to apply you have to be a resident. They won't consider applications until your actually living here as there is a 13week training course at The Royal NZ police college as part of the recruitment & selection process. From my understanding as long as you have your visa your able to apply.

If you have a look on their website it says they welcome overseas applicants as the growing diversity of NZ.
Old Oct 17th 2016, 10:16 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Just to clarify, you only need be a permanent resident (of either NZ or Oz) to meet eligibility to join the NZ cops.

WHO CAN BE A COP?

First-up, forget the stereotypes. We’re not looking for cookie-cutter cops. We value who you are and what you could bring to the job as an individual. The strength of our team comes from a diverse range of people, each with different backgrounds, experiences and interests, working towards the same goal.

All you need to apply is to:
  • Be at least 17 years old (must be 18 before you can start at police college).
  • Hold a restricted NZ driver licence (must obtain a full NZ driver licence within 12 months of applying).
  • Be a New Zealand or Australian Citizen or Resident.
  • Be available to attend recruitment assessments in person.
  • Be physically fit and in excellent health.
  • Notify recruitment staff of any previous criminal or traffic convictions (including warnings, court appearances, and diversions).
  • Provide police clearance for any country (other than NZ) that you have worked or resided in for longer than three months.
(from: https://www.newcops.co.nz/recruitmen...y-requirements)
Old Oct 17th 2016, 11:11 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sure someone told me it was Citizens, oh well better check next time before posting - me bad
Old Oct 18th 2016, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EmigratingToNZ
Hi All,

I am new to this forum, so i will introduce myself. My partner and I are thinking of emigrating to NZ, we both have degrees myself in Law and a masters in Criminal Justice and my partner a degree in Business Management and has completed her PGCE to become a teacher.

What are your honest views of emigrating to NZ? Would you recommend two young people starting out in their careers to stay in the UK and come out later or to start off in NZ?

What are the general views of teachers and police officers in NZ?

We have researched NZ a lot but any useful information anybody could add would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi, I think what is more pertinent is how you will find life here. In many ways NZ is a perfect place to live. It is low population, very beautiful, very different from the UK and a relatively easy going country. In many ways however it is very imperfect if you look at some of its very unenviable statistics. I will leave you to peruse them.Going back to my 1st point, will you like NZ? You will be cutting your self off from so much by coming here. Europe and the like. This country has very few historic buildings, no lovely old pubs etc. Its very much a country in its infancy. I have been here 11 years and like many there have been good and bad times.

Some folk love NZ some hate the place with a passion. I can totally understand why the latter is so. The kiwi psyche is so, so different to the British psyche and why would that not be so?

After 11 years I still am troubled by issues that prevail here but on balance coming to NZ has achieved what I was looking for. I have no regrets and will likely die here as that is my wish and will.

One thing I would say to you is that they say almost everyone regrets the things they DID NOT DO, rather than the things they did.

If you can make your way here work wise and start your careers here why not come? The only way you will ever know if you like it is to live it. Just like dating another human. You won't know what they are like until you get to know them.

There is no substitute for experience and lots of research afore you come to make sure you have an idea of what you are about to receive.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 4:20 am
Welly bound

Munchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond reputeMunchkjn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis
Hi, I think what is more pertinent is how you will find life here. In many ways NZ is a perfect place to live. It is low population, very beautiful, very different from the UK and a relatively easy going country. In many ways however it is very imperfect if you look at some of its very unenviable statistics. I will leave you to peruse them.Going back to my 1st point, will you like NZ? You will be cutting your self off from so much by coming here. Europe and the like. This country has very few historic buildings, no lovely old pubs etc. Its very much a country in its infancy. I have been here 11 years and like many there have been good and bad times.

Some folk love NZ some hate the place with a passion. I can totally understand why the latter is so. The kiwi psyche is so, so different to the British psyche and why would that not be so?

After 11 years I still am troubled by issues that prevail here but on balance coming to NZ has achieved what I was looking for. I have no regrets and will likely die here as that is my wish and will.

One thing I would say to you is that they say almost everyone regrets the things they DID NOT DO, rather than the things they did.

If you can make your way here work wise and start your careers here why not come? The only way you will ever know if you like it is to live it. Just like dating another human. You won't know what they are like until you get to know them.

There is no substitute for experience and lots of research afore you come to make sure you have an idea of what you are about to receive.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 5:14 am
BE Enthusiast

paddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud ofpaddy234 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Genesis

I must be one of the few people who actually welcome huge population growth here. I feel with the climate and outdoor lifestyle all it needs is more vibrant and exciting cities. I say keep the migrants coming .
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Cost of living is brutal. If you happen to get hooked up with a great job then go for it otherwise I would get some experience in the UK and then try again. Or come out for a working holiday or something and see how you like it.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 6:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddy234
I must be one of the few people who actually welcome huge population growth here. I feel with the climate and outdoor lifestyle all it needs is more vibrant and exciting cities. I say keep the migrants coming .
Are there not enough places on this planet with vibrant & exciting cities?
Climate and outdoor lifestyle won't be the same with more and more people and we're not alone on this planet either.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 10:13 am

and to be honest NZ can't cope with the amount of people it already has here, transport problems, lack of choice, cost of living, lack of housing, child poverty.
lets not forget it is a volcanic island, prone to earth quakes and who's to say that lots of ground works to increase surburbs/cities/road ways won't have an affect on that.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 11:22 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

and to be honest NZ can't cope with the amount of people it already has here, transport problems, lack of choice, cost of living, lack of housing, child poverty.
lets not forget it is a volcanic island, prone to earth quakes and who's to say that lots of ground works to increase surburbs/cities/road ways won't have an affect on that.
Saying all of that, where is it really so much better and where can everyone have everything? I'm in Europe and as soon as I write anything positive about Ireland, certain people complain how bad everything is. Apart from the Nordics (they also have problems) there are so many countries worse off. Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Romania, Serbia, Hungary, Slovakia, Moldova, Kosovo, Macedonia, Belarus, Greece, Italy, just to name a few.

People from the UK also never see what they have and you can't expect rural Scotland to be London with fewer people. New Zealand will also never be the United States but it's not that bad is it (apart from the earthquakes).

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 18th 2016 at 11:25 am.
Old Oct 18th 2016, 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by Moses2013
People from the UK also never see what they have and you can't expect rural Scotland to be London with fewer people. New Zealand will also never be the United States but it's not that bad is it (apart from the earthquakes).
So its only UK people that emigrate and come across the problems I listed on a daily basis ?

NO the list is fact and the OP asked for honest views, mine is not a view but a factual account of life in NZ.
The OP also didn't ask for a list of countries that in anyone's opinion may be better or worse.
Old Oct 19th 2016, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

So its only UK people that emigrate and come across the problems I listed on a daily basis ?

NO the list is fact and the OP asked for honest views, mine is not a view but a factual account of life in NZ.
The OP also didn't ask for a list of countries that in anyone's opinion may be better or worse.
Not only people from the UK and just an example. While New Zealand has it's problems, not everything is that bad and I always thought it's common sense that people can't expect to have the same amount of choices in a country with 4.5 million vs. 64 million. It would be no different if I moved from London to the Isle of Man.

I agree that New Zealand isn't for everyone but most of your points could be relevant in every country: can't cope with the amount of people it already has here, transport problems, lack of choice, cost of living, lack of housing, child poverty.

Those problems also exist in the UK, Germany, Australia etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.