British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Emigrating to NZ as a gasfitter (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/emigrating-nz-gasfitter-872722/)

Montie Feb 18th 2016 8:31 am

Emigrating to NZ as a gasfitter

Hi All

This is my first time on here and I am looking for some advice, I currently live in Manchester in the UK and I am well on with my visa application for New Zealand.I am looking to live on the North Island in the Tauranga district, I was wondering if any one could help me with regards to the exams for the gas fitting licence and how I go about obtaining material to revise for this? I would also like to know what working in this field in NZ is like compared to the UK. :unsure:

Thanks Wayne :

bakedbean Feb 18th 2016 8:39 am

Re: Emigrating to NZ as a gasfitter

Hello Montie and welcome to the forum :wave:

I've shifted your post from the Welcome Inn over to the New Zealand section as you'll be more likely to get a good response in here. Mind you, they are all probably tucked up in bed at the moment, so you may have to wait till tomorrow for a response.

Happy planning and hope it all works out for you :fingerscrossed:

Montie Feb 18th 2016 9:42 am

Hello Bakedbean :thumbsup:

Thanks for that I really appreciate it,I'm trying my hardest to get to grips with finding my way around this forum, and can do with all the help I can get:amen:

MrsFychan Feb 18th 2016 5:58 pm

Hi, have a look at this thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/new-z...dustry-872586/

BEVS Feb 19th 2016 12:31 am

Originally Posted by Montie (Post 11871253)
Hi All

This is my first time on here and I am looking for some advice, I currently live in Manchester in the UK and I am well on with my visa application for New Zealand.I am looking to live on the North Island in the Tauranga district, I was wondering if any one could help me with regards to the exams for the gas fitting licence and how I go about obtaining material to revise for this? I would also like to know what working in this field in NZ is like compared to the UK. :unsure:

Thanks Wayne :

Sounds good. What visa & policy are you applying under.

You can check out old exam papers questions and answers on the PGDB website. Exam 9193

Rules and Regs of the PGD Act

Branz may be a little helpful

NZ standards. 3500. Parts 1, 2 , 4

Also 5601 1 &2
which would be the main one I guess.

This is not a hard exam . It is part open book and part multi-choice.

Acceptable solutions G12 and G13

Brush up on your math & trigonometry.

Montie Feb 19th 2016 7:44 am

Hi Bevs :goodpost:

Thanks for all the info I will have a look through today and defo have to brush up on my maths as thats not one of my favourite subjects :unsure:.

I am applying for a permanent skilled migrant visa with a job offer. So I am hoping to be out there either June or July if things go to plan, but we all know how these things can change.

Also is anyone able to point me in the right direction for accomodation when you arrive and what to do? Because all though I am a well travelled person this is a first for myself and family moving country. So as you can imagine I have thousands of unanswered questions but I do not want to down load on you all at once.

Thanks again
Montie

Montie Feb 19th 2016 8:00 am

Hi Karma

Thanks for the thread I have taken a good look and this has helped as well :thumbsup:.

I have noticed that I have not mentioned that I am a gas service and installation engineer who not only holds natural gas but I also hold LPG in the UK.

I have had my level 3 NVQ converted to a level 4 by NZQA. But I realise from what I am reading and the research I have done that NZ way of working is very different from the UK, so I know that I will have to start the learning progress again which I am more than happy to do.

I have been invited to apply for a provisional licence by PGDB so I guess its just where the work is on the North Island and getting a job.

Thanks
Montie

Justcol Feb 19th 2016 9:53 am

Originally Posted by Montie (Post 11872337)
I am applying for a permanent skilled migrant visa with a job offer.

Originally Posted by Montie (Post 11872353)
so I guess its just where the work is on the North Island and getting a job.

Thanks
Montie

You seem to be contradicting yourself, have you got a job or not ??

Montie Feb 19th 2016 12:19 pm

Hi Justcol

No I do not have a job offer and I have not claimed to have one, I have mealy stated that I intend to enter NZ on a skilled visa with a job offer. I have however
got a company in NZ sourcing a job for me and based this on a departure on the date I have mentioned.

Cheers Montie