Emigrating to NZ

Old Oct 4th 2020, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by Moses2013
You are right with the money though and many people focused on scenery, politics or climate seem to forget everything else. Kids and parents will still have to go to the dentist, kids will want the new PlayStation and the great hiking opportunities that are 5 hours away become boring for kids when it's the only yearly holiday you can afford. Being poor is nothing to be ashamed of but the whole idea of emigrating at a certain age is usually to be better off finacially, or you've already made enough cash to live a more comfortable life in a low cost country. It's also worth nothing if the couple that moved 20 years ago tells you how great their life now is. It was a different time, different life and different job market. I know some call it negative attitude on BE but you kind of feel sorry for many families. When you are 20/single and all your belongings fit into a plastic bag, it's easy to say go for it. Again it can all work out but use common sense and have a plan b.
I agree
Me and my wife jumped on a plane with 20kgs each two years ago with no ties or kids and nothing to lose and a new adventure.
I now have 3 month old baby. looking back it would have been way different if I had kids.
Yeah the British pound would have gone alot further 20 years ago when it was 3 dollars to the pound for the initial move and buying property. eveything would have been fairly cheap in NZ.
But it doesn't matter where you are in the world after the move it comes down to wages v costs of living and how much spare money you have for international goods to buy.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 4:48 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

We've been here 8 years now. Always enjoyed life in NZ, have absolutely no interest in living in the UK.

We are financially secure, earn well, have good jobs, travel well (used to any way!) and have a good lifestyle.

I'm not sure about some of the above comments in all honesty. They are people's experiences and I can't take that away but some of the comments are highly cherry picked to make NZ look awful. The thing with forums is that they are sometimes sought out in a time of need when things aren't going well. This will generally be reflected in the tone of the posts. Not meaning to sound patronising but it is what it is.

Some things to consider all the same - it's a bloody long way. Trips back to the UK/Europe are long and infrequent for most people, even those who can afford it. Travel options are limited if you are on a tight budget. No more 50 quid return flights to Paris, the closest place is Australia and will be at least 500NZD return per person. Any where like Bali or Fiji more like 700-1000NZD on a deal. If this bothers you or is important to you consider the move wisely. Driving standards are crap, he prepared for people on the wrong side of the road, tail gating and other general aggressive behaviour on the roads! Come with money, emigrating is expensive!
Old Oct 5th 2020, 7:06 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Here's some good stats... https://www.stats.govt.nz/informatio...%20%2445%2C744 and as you're looking outside of Auckland I'd agree with 80k take home a household average for a half decent life. Thing is a lot of job offers to expats are to auckland, I'd be timing these figures but 1.5 then (assuming you'd be wanting to own a home)!

Last edited by Timmy Chch; Oct 5th 2020 at 7:17 am.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Peter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
We really appreciate all your input. We have taken all of your advice onboard, looked at the big picture, although it seem that people think we don't have a clue what we are getting ourselves into. And to an extent we don't and we understand that, that's why we are on here, but we are not naive, we are responsible adults and parents, although we have taken it all onboard what people are saying, I think some people need to realise that we all live different types of lives, from different backgrounds and want different things from life. What didn't work for yourselves doesn't mean it won't work for someone else, your negative feedback may be someone else's positive feedback, I'm not trying to undermine anyone but for all the negative feedback, the positive way outweighs it for us. We really have thought about alot of the things stated on previous messages and looked at the pros and cons.
We know it is going to be really hard. We know it isn't going to be a fairytale, believe it or not we aren't looking at it through rose tinted glasses, we aren't silly enough to put ourselves in a position worst than we have at home. If that's the case once we have looked at everything then we would stop the process straight away.
We actually like the thought of being secluded, as we are slightly secluded now, we are a family that love our own company, me and my partner very rarely drink, and spend all our time with the girls. We certainly aren't a city loving family, we love hiking, swimming, camping, biking.
We have taken all said into consideration about the education. This is something that if we did get a visa and got offered jobs in a certain area if the education or schools in the area weren't up to a standard that we would be happy with then we would pull the plug.
Please understand we are not a city family, we live in a small town and don't venture to close cities, unless for work, as we love the quiet life, we do not spend excessive amount of money, we don't holiday abroad much as we love the country. We both are private people that have only a small amount of close friends and family. We are extremely independent as a family.
We have decided although from previous messages it's a risk to pursue it. We are young enough, we are a strong family and believe we could make something special for us in NZ, we don't want to regret not giving it a go, alls we can do is try, and have a good damn good go at it. Certain things happen that make you realise that life is way to short and I believe we are strong enough to do this, wether it works out or not it's on me. My kids are still young enough, we don't want to regret it and then decide to do it when they are older as that could disrupt their lives to much.
Again thank you all for your help and if anyone has anything further that could help us with great destinations, how to get on the job ladder, visa application etc we would greatly appreciate it.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 5:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

So after all the years of consideration and research where exactly are you at in terms of understanding whether you meet the criteria for any kind of visa?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:14 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter and Steph
.... your negative feedback ...
I haven't seen any negative feedback, only balanced.

There is nothing wrong with being confident and positive, so long as the downside risks are duly considered, and only you can decide what "duly considered" means.

Last edited by Pulaski; Oct 5th 2020 at 8:48 pm.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Again thank you all for your help and if anyone has anything further that could help us with great destinations, how to get on the job ladder, visa application etc we would greatly appreciate it.
You've been given links as to NZ immigration.

With regard jobs you are in construction and your wife is a civil servant. Trade Magazines, websites...?
Old Oct 5th 2020, 8:28 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

The thing is, a lot of what's been said above - positive, negative, balanced (call it what you will) is all moot until the OP has the ability to get a visa. In this current climate will be tricky unless you have a skill massively in demand.
Old Oct 5th 2020, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,
We really appreciate all your input. We have taken all of your advice onboard, looked at the big picture, although it seem that people think we don't have a clue what we are getting ourselves into. And to an extent we don't and we understand that, that's why we are on here, but we are not naive, we are responsible adults and parents, although we have taken it all onboard what people are saying, I think some people need to realise that we all live different types of lives, from different backgrounds and want different things from life. What didn't work for yourselves doesn't mean it won't work for someone else, your negative feedback may be someone else's positive feedback, I'm not trying to undermine anyone but for all the negative feedback, the positive way outweighs it for us. We really have thought about alot of the things stated on previous messages and looked at the pros and cons.
We know it is going to be really hard. We know it isn't going to be a fairytale, believe it or not we aren't looking at it through rose tinted glasses, we aren't silly enough to put ourselves in a position worst than we have at home. If that's the case once we have looked at everything then we would stop the process straight away.
We actually like the thought of being secluded, as we are slightly secluded now, we are a family that love our own company, me and my partner very rarely drink, and spend all our time with the girls. We certainly aren't a city loving family, we love hiking, swimming, camping, biking.
We have taken all said into consideration about the education. This is something that if we did get a visa and got offered jobs in a certain area if the education or schools in the area weren't up to a standard that we would be happy with then we would pull the plug.
Please understand we are not a city family, we live in a small town and don't venture to close cities, unless for work, as we love the quiet life, we do not spend excessive amount of money, we don't holiday abroad much as we love the country. We both are private people that have only a small amount of close friends and family. We are extremely independent as a family.
We have decided although from previous messages it's a risk to pursue it. We are young enough, we are a strong family and believe we could make something special for us in NZ, we don't want to regret not giving it a go, alls we can do is try, and have a good damn good go at it. Certain things happen that make you realise that life is way to short and I believe we are strong enough to do this, wether it works out or not it's on me. My kids are still young enough, we don't want to regret it and then decide to do it when they are older as that could disrupt their lives to much.
Where do you live in the North of England?
Nelson would be all good if you have capital yo buy a house outright. Pretty much semi retire and don't need the money and work for a young family with very high living costs in NZ.
What do you do in construction?
See this is where the problem is.
I would love to move to the sticks and plod along semi retired but its not realistic when I work in construction and need to be near cities for work.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

There's your first problem .. The nearest cities to Nelson are Wellington and Christchurch!.. That would be some commute!
Old Oct 6th 2020, 12:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jarv5116
Where do you live in the North of England?
Nelson would be all good if you have capital yo buy a house outright. Pretty much semi retire and don't need the money and work for a young family with very high living costs in NZ.
What do you do in construction?
See this is where the problem is.
I would love to move to the sticks and plod along semi retired but its not realistic when I work in construction and need to be near cities for work.
I guess it depends on your personal mindset and outlook. I'm sure there must be people living in Nelson who work in construction and are very happy with their lot. Living in a small town isn't semi retired, there's less than 500 in mine and I wouldn't swap it for the world. I don't think the cost of living here is anywhere near as bad as some make out. We earn pretty average wages, I save more than I ever have, own home (not mortgaged) and live very comfortably. It's easy to do in NZ. I think it comes down to what your driver's in life are

Last edited by Justcol; Oct 6th 2020 at 12:57 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 1:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
I guess it depends on your personal mindset and outlook. I'm sure there must be people living in Nelson who work in construction and are very happy with their lot. Living in a small town isn't semi retired, there's less than 500 in mine and I wouldn't swap it for the world. I don't think the cost of living here is anywhere near as bad as some make out. We earn pretty average wages, I save more than I ever have, own home (not mortgaged), eat well, travel overseas, support grown up kids and granddaughter, 3 cars, 2 motorbikes yadda yadda yadda. It's very easy to live well in NZ.
You are right in a way and how people spend money will differ. Then again it was a lot easier for you and those were the days when a shop assistant could still afford a family home in Honolulu. The biggest expense these days is often housing and what do sunny holiday spots have in common?https://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/h...one-agent-says
Everybody can save more money if they don't have a mortgage but unless you already have cash, moving to wealthy holiday spots means lower wages/fewer jobs and higher housing costs. We have extended family who live well in Jersey but the family moving from the North of England today can maybe only afford a 1 bed apartment with an average wage and won't have much cash left.

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 6th 2020 at 1:24 pm.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
I guess it depends on your personal mindset and outlook. I'm sure there must be people living in Nelson who work in construction and are very happy with their lot. Living in a small town isn't semi retired, there's less than 500 in mine and I wouldn't swap it for the world. I don't think the cost of living here is anywhere near as bad as some make out. We earn pretty average wages, I save more than I ever have, own home (not mortgaged) and live very comfortably. It's easy to do in NZ. I think it comes down to what your driver's in life are
your a example of what I mean.
Totally different situation from someone immigrating here with young family who can't buy house outright. will have either very high rent or mortgage payments to make every week.
If you moved here before 2008 everything would have been a reasonable price when buying a property if you had a bit capital.
If you were on 40k back home as a traddie in UK in North of England you would have a very very good lifestyle. NZ would be eye watering in comparison on 80k a year.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 7:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

Beware of buying a dream. Reality may be a shock.

It may be too expensive to go for a trial run. Not sure of the best way for you to proceed.
Old Oct 6th 2020, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scot47
Beware of buying a dream. Reality may be a shock.

It may be too expensive to go for a trial run. Not sure of the best way for you to proceed.
​​​​​​Surely that applies to each and every one of us. We all took the same leap of faith.
I don't hide the fact that I love living in NZ. For all it's flaws, (99% of which have absolutely no bearing on me or anything I do), I would still rather be here than anywhere else, and I would recommend anyone to come and give it a go. It really is a fabulous place to live, work and raise your kids.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.