Emigrating to NZ

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:54 am
Just Joined

Peter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by Moses2013
Not saying you are naive but it's always the location within the country rather than the country itself. I can understand why people would want to leave the UK and eventually ended up in Ireland myself and feel a lot safer here than in the UK but it's mainly also the location. Many places in the Western world will have education, opportunities and art but you still have poverty and people who fail. Even in Christchurch you have crime and drugs and my cousin also had friends in Christchurch who had to rebuild most of their home after the earthquake and are financially ruined. Values I don't know and most kids like their smartphones these days and parents are the same. I also have a work colleague who thought NZ was laid back 20 years ago but eventually returned from Dunedin and talks about how it's changed. Everybody has an opinion but my point was that you should focus on where in NZ you can find the things you are missing now but please don't be so desperate that you will go anywhere (This often leads to failure).
I appreciate what your saying completely. I would always look at the crime rates, poverty, employment rates etc and if they wasn't able to provide that secure environment for my family then I wouldn't go. I am not saying that I would just mover to NZ to get it, I want to move to better mine and my family's life, not just relocate and still have the same problems as at home, that would be foolish. I know that my kids could fail in life, that I could fail also, but I want to relocate to give us the best possible opportunity to succeed in a safer environment with more and happier way of life. If somewhere isn't what we want and could possibly be a risk then not a chance I would put my family in any sort of danger, on the other hand tho if I can find somewhere that my family can live a slower, relaxed, happier life then I would move heaven and earth to provide that for them.
The values and culture of the majority of people in NZ is one of the main reasons why we would love to move to their beautiful country, to embrace it, and to give it our all to make it work for us.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 12:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter and Steph
I appreciate what your saying completely. I would always look at the crime rates, poverty, employment rates etc and if they wasn't able to provide that secure environment for my family then I wouldn't go. I am not saying that I would just mover to NZ to get it, I want to move to better mine and my family's life, not just relocate and still have the same problems as at home, that would be foolish. I know that my kids could fail in life, that I could fail also, but I want to relocate to give us the best possible opportunity to succeed in a safer environment with more and happier way of life. If somewhere isn't what we want and could possibly be a risk then not a chance I would put my family in any sort of danger, on the other hand tho if I can find somewhere that my family can live a slower, relaxed, happier life then I would move heaven and earth to provide that for them.
Can't blame you for any of that, but (just playing devil's advocate), would a move within the UK to a nicer/safer/better education area not achieve the same thing? Plus save you tens of thousands of pounds! Just a thought anyway.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 12:33 pm
Just Joined

Peter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Can't blame you for any of that, but (just playing devil's advocate), would a move within the UK to a nicer/safer/better education area not achieve the same thing? Plus save you tens of thousands of pounds! Just a thought anyway.
That is something we spoke about, and was definitely an option, but like I've said in previous messages we have had a really good think about all our options over the last few years but we always come back to NZ, to the life over there. We could relocate in the UK, I have family in Wales and Scotland that would help but still the same problems follow as it's all under the same umbrella, government, educational boards, lifestyle.
All the above in NZ we as a family think would suit us better and it is something we would want for our children's future. Thank you for your input and appreciate what you are saying and your feedback.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 12:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

If you are happy you won't miss anything.
The only thing I missed was going for a pint with our kid, but reality was, that was something we rarely did. I found a pub down here that sold boddingtons and I used to go in there once a week with a couple of English mates and talk shit for a couple of hours, it soon stopped the pining for home.
I have friends in Nelson. They moved there from Auckland with their two young girls, for similar reasons you have given, and now 4 years later they are disillusioned and looking to leave. I personally don't like the place, it leaves me very underwhelmed when I've visited. I prefer Blenheim or even Motueka. Visually it's nice, the climate is good and it's handy for Wellington. Of course you may love the place for the same reasons I dont.
Ignore the profits of doom, come with an open mind and be prepared for surprises, disappointments and both the highs and the lows. NZ is a great place live and raise kids, good luck with your plans 👍
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 2:52 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Our reasons for the move are because we want the best possible life for our children. Education is a massive reason for the move, we want our girls to have the best opportunities in life. .....
Not saying you are naive but it's always the location within the country rather than the country itself. I can understand why people would want to leave the UK and eventually ended up in Ireland myself and feel a lot safer here than in the UK but it's mainly also the location. ....
I agree with Moses, and I am not sure that your "we want the best possible life for our children" stands up to scrutiny. .... Be aware that objectively you are considering a move to the remotest edge of the western/ industrialized world, over 1,000 miles from the nearest other country (Australia), which itself is remote from other similar economies. There are good reasons why many New Zealanders live in Australia, and many others come to the UK - it is for the educational and employment opportunities that they can't find in New Zealand.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree with Moses, and I am not sure that your "we want the best possible life for our children" stands up to scrutiny. .... Be aware that objectively you are considering a move to the remotest edge of the western/ industrialized world, over 1,000 miles from the nearest other country (Australia), which itself is remote from other similar economies. There are good reasons why many New Zealanders live in Australia, and many others come to the UK - it is for the educational and employment opportunities that they can't find in New Zealand.
I appreciate your opinion like everyone else's and I 100% take and welcome the advice but I am aware of how remote it is, I'm aware of how far away from the UK it is, but stating that people from NZ go to Aus for opportunities in work and education, whilst may be true, isn't anything I'm concerned with, as I know many people from the UK that have also gone over and emigrated to Aus for the same reason.
There are stories of people wanting to emigrate for various reasons, there are good stories, there are bad stories, some stay and some go. But each family adapts differently. We have made the decision to emigrate to NZ for more than one reason that seems to be missed in all this, at 34 years of age I'm totally aware of the risks, but at the same time I'm totally aware of the possible rewards. We have family in Aus, they said they would definitely prefer to have moved to NZ if they could of done it again but are to old. We have a friend of a friend that has lived in NZ for the past 15 years and say it is so much better than the life they lived in UK, with their qualifications they found more opportunities and they wouldn't ever think of returning. Apparently they love it and love the people and their kids love it. Thanks again
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 3:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

We have a friend of a friend that has lived in NZ for the past 15 years and say it is so much better than the life they lived in UK, with their qualifications they found more opportunities and they wouldn't ever think of returning. Apparently they love it and love the people and their kids love it. Thanks again
Don't forget that is was 15 years ago and it was a lot easier back then. It's all about timing and I remember the crowds who used to flock to Canada and Australia for higher paid jobs and many are now settled but those who moved in recent years struggle with the current house prices and wages on offer. I always say it but those who have never been to NZ or experienced remote living should try spending a few weeks holiday in remote places closer to home (North of Spain, Azores, Achill etc.) to really get a feeling if it's for them. Better, go to New Zealand before moving the whole family.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Don't forget that is was 15 years ago and it was a lot easier back then. It's all about timing and I remember the crowds who used to flock to Canada and Australia for higher paid jobs and many are now settled but those who moved in recent years struggle with the current house prices and wages on offer. I always say it but those who have never been to NZ or experienced remote living should try spending a few weeks holiday in remote places closer to home (North of Spain, Azores, Achill etc.) to really get a feeling if it's for them. Better, go to New Zealand before moving the whole family.
Ive holidayed in many remote places. From the north of Scotland, southern Ireland, to North France, southern France etc. I fished the lakes of Scotland for weeks on end, this was camping lakeside, not much signal if any and very little interaction with locals. I also worked in the Shetland Islands for 4 months, that was extremely remote as for a whole month we had no way of leaving the Island due to the terrible weather and storms meaning no ferries or flights out.
All the points you have made we have taken into consideration. We are not a city living family, we live in a small northern town, we holiday in the countryside, we certainly are not a materialistic family. We know there are alot of factors to take in but we also know the risks, but yet again we are going to take the rough with the smooth and try to make the most of the experience and throw ourselves straight into island life. I've just spoken to my partner and she has just informed me that the couple that live in NZ told the people we know to move over as they would love it. They said it is so much better for their kids. So although you are pointing out the negatives, which we know exist, we are also hearing from the other side and the positive stories of people that have emigrated and love it, and say still it is a fantastic place and they would recommend it.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 4:49 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Ive holidayed in many remote places. From the north of Scotland, southern Ireland, to North France, southern France etc. I fished the lakes of Scotland for weeks on end, this was camping lakeside, not much signal if any and very little interaction with locals. I also worked in the Shetland Islands for 4 months, that was extremely remote as for a whole month we had no way of leaving the Island due to the terrible weather and storms meaning no ferries or flights out.
There is no-where 'remote' on the European mainland or the UK that could compare to being 1,000 miles away from your nearest large land mass and knowing that to fly to the UK takes on average around 24 hours.

However, good luck to you - I moved to the US at age 50 (huge change) - if you go with the intention of making a real go of it, are not so family orientated that not seeing mum/dad/sister/brother etc for months/years at a time will depress you, you'll be a success.

Take a look at some of the threads on this NZ forum..... several there about settling in NZ and various aspects of the move.

Last edited by SanDiegogirl; Oct 2nd 2020 at 4:51 pm.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:08 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
There is no-where 'remote' on the European mainland or the UK that could compare to being 1,000 miles away from your nearest large land mass and knowing that to fly to the UK takes on average around 24 hours.

However, good luck to you - I moved to the US at age 50 (huge change) - if you go with the intention of making a real go of it, are not so family orientated that not seeing mum/dad/sister/brother etc for months/years at a time will depress you, you'll be a success.

Take a look at some of the threads on this NZ forum..... several there about settling in NZ and various aspects of the move.
I know what your saying and understand it will be a massive change, it's literally uping and changing our whole life, but we are, if successful in the process, going to give it our absolute all and make it a success. Were made of tough things up north as they say. Ha
Thank you for you reply and message of luck
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:14 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
If you are happy you won't miss anything.
The only thing I missed was going for a pint with our kid, but reality was, that was something we rarely did. I found a pub down here that sold boddingtons and I used to go in there once a week with a couple of English mates and talk shit for a couple of hours, it soon stopped the pining for home.
I have friends in Nelson. They moved there from Auckland with their two young girls, for similar reasons you have given, and now 4 years later they are disillusioned and looking to leave. I personally don't like the place, it leaves me very underwhelmed when I've visited. I prefer Blenheim or even Motueka. Visually it's nice, the climate is good and it's handy for Wellington. Of course you may love the place for the same reasons I dont.
Ignore the profits of doom, come with an open mind and be prepared for surprises, disappointments and both the highs and the lows. NZ is a great place live and raise kids, good luck with your plans 👍
Nice one mate, it's good to hear a more positive response ha. We are determined to give it a go if successful with the visa and even with the negative stuff that people said may happen or is the case, we still think from the positives and the life we live now in UK we are more suited to life in NZ and want to look further into work and locations, that's one of the reasons we have come on here for advice about the best places to find work, places to raise kids etc, although we love the look of Nelson we are open and if somewhere else suits us and our girls more and we had opportunity of work then we certainly would consider it. Thanks again
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one mate, it's good to hear a more positive response ha. We are determined to give it a go if successful with the visa and even with the negative stuff that people said may happen or is the case, we still think from the positives and the life we live now in UK we are more suited to life in NZ and want to look further into work and locations, that's one of the reasons we have come on here for advice about the best places to find work, places to raise kids etc, although we love the look of Nelson we are open and if somewhere else suits us and our girls more and we had opportunity of work then we certainly would consider it. Thanks again
Don't want to sound negative but just realistic and seen it all. Especially if it doesn't work out with visa maybe look at options closer to home. You often see people focused on one country who then end up depressed because it didn't work out with visa. I was also once focused on Abaco and nearly bought land there. Just glad I didn't and now appreciate the life we have in Europe a lot more.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 5:57 pm
Just Joined

Don't want to sound negative but just realistic and seen it all. Especially if it doesn't work out with visa maybe look at options closer to home. You often see people focused on one country who then end up depressed because it didn't work out with visa. I was also once focused on Abaco and nearly bought land there. Just glad I didn't and now appreciate the life we have in Europe a lot more.
No probs, like I say we appreciate all responses and take it all into consideration. We have looked into Aus, also looked into Canada, Wales and even the south of France. After weighing them all up and looking what we want for ourselves and our family we really believe NZ is something we would like to pursue and see where we end up. At this stage we certainly haven't thrown all our eggs into one basket as like you say we may not be successful with the visa application, until then we are still just looking for advice on various locations in NZ, how to find and apply for work etc. Until we get a answer on the visa we aren't going to get to invested that it leaves us devastated if it isn't successful.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Moses on this.
As you may have seen from previous posts I am slightly down on all things NZ, but one thing that I am objective about is education, and with my daughter about to change schools, I am currently obsessed! Sorry for my long and anecdotal post, but something that shocked me.

We live on the North Shore (Auckland) so different to where you are looking (but still remote and quiet for a Londoner!) and the area has a great reputation for schools so we thought we couldn't go wrong whichever suburb we lived in. The area is very privileged and our children go to a decile 10 school. On paper all well and good.

But the reality is quite scary. Schools are not obliged to follow the curriculum but can pick and choose as they see fit and there is a MASSIVE discrepancy between teachers. It seems there is little monitoring. Initially I was happy as my daughter's teacher (she is now in year 6) was trained in Chester, the same college as my mum in the UK. But it turns out he doesn't really teach. They do an hour of fitness in the morning, and an hour of PE in the afternoon. In maths he gives out worksheets but little instruction but it's ok, the clever kid on her table explains it. A lot of their work is project based but it doesn't get marked and they don't get feedback so I see little value in this. She has been doing a project on 'The day of the dead' for months. Despite losing so much time this year she is rehearsing the school play for 3 days a week as this is deemed more important than academic work. Year 6 is seen as a celebration of completing primary school before they go to intermediate, where they do very little for the next two years. Parents I know with children at our local intermediate describe it as a 'holiday camp'.

I have a friend who is the principal of one of the best intermediates in the area, and she admits that it would be almost impossible for children to slot back into the UK system easily.

My son in year 3 and I am good friends with one of his friend's mum. She was concerned about his maths as he couldn't do tasks his younger brother found easy. She pressed school for info but was told he was was fine, average with no issues. Still not happy she asked how he was assessed and could she see some of his results. It took a while for a response but she was told no, they work online and it's difficult to get data! He started tutoring a couple of weeks ago and within half an hour the tutor fed back that he can't add or subtract at the age of 8.

This is a well regarded school, popular with Chinese families (relevant because their strong emphasis on education is almost a cliché here) but it turns out that almost all the Chinese families rely on extra tuition from year 3 onwards.

We can't really afford it, but I am now desperately trying to get my daughter a place at a private school that teaches the Cambridge curriculum. As the daughter of a teacher, the product of an English grammar school and someone who likes to live quite frugally, I am against the private school system, but I am also aware my children will need to compete in an ever competitive global world (and I want to go home!).

Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by hallie_day
I am with Moses on this.
As you may have seen from previous posts I am slightly down on all things NZ, but one thing that I am objective about is education, and with my daughter about to change schools, I am currently obsessed! Sorry for my long and anecdotal post, but something that shocked me.

We live on the North Shore (Auckland) so different to where you are looking (but still remote and quiet for a Londoner!) and the area has a great reputation for schools so we thought we couldn't go wrong whichever suburb we lived in. The area is very privileged and our children go to a decile 10 school. On paper all well and good.

But the reality is quite scary. Schools are not obliged to follow the curriculum but can pick and choose as they see fit and there is a MASSIVE discrepancy between teachers. It seems there is little monitoring. Initially I was happy as my daughter's teacher (she is now in year 6) was trained in Chester, the same college as my mum in the UK. But it turns out he doesn't really teach. They do an hour of fitness in the morning, and an hour of PE in the afternoon. In maths he gives out worksheets but little instruction but it's ok, the clever kid on her table explains it. A lot of their work is project based but it doesn't get marked and they don't get feedback so I see little value in this. She has been doing a project on 'The day of the dead' for months. Despite losing so much time this year she is rehearsing the school play for 3 days a week as this is deemed more important than academic work. Year 6 is seen as a celebration of completing primary school before they go to intermediate, where they do very little for the next two years. Parents I know with children at our local intermediate describe it as a 'holiday camp'.

I have a friend who is the principal of one of the best intermediates in the area, and she admits that it would be almost impossible for children to slot back into the UK system easily.

My son in year 3 and I am good friends with one of his friend's mum. She was concerned about his maths as he couldn't do tasks his younger brother found easy. She pressed school for info but was told he was was fine, average with no issues. Still not happy she asked how he was assessed and could she see some of his results. It took a while for a response but she was told no, they work online and it's difficult to get data! He started tutoring a couple of weeks ago and within half an hour the tutor fed back that he can't add or subtract at the age of 8.

This is a well regarded school, popular with Chinese families (relevant because their strong emphasis on education is almost a cliché here) but it turns out that almost all the Chinese families rely on extra tuition from year 3 onwards.

We can't really afford it, but I am now desperately trying to get my daughter a place at a private school that teaches the Cambridge curriculum. As the daughter of a teacher, the product of an English grammar school and someone who likes to live quite frugally, I am against the private school system, but I am also aware my children will need to compete in an ever competitive global world (and I want to go home!).
I am really sorry to hear of your situation, what you are describing is awful and is the last thing you want as a parent for your children and I hope and pray that you get the outcome that you want in all this and you can get yourselves back home.
But like many things in life there are positives aswell. Having just spoken with the friend we have that has family in NZ earlier, they have told us that their children are flourishing at school, and there eldest has excelled. That they find the class sizes alot smaller than here and that there children are getting alot more time with the teachers.
Again I am really sorry for your situation and really feel for you, it is something that we will seriously look into and see if there anymore cases similar to them of yours.
Thank you and good luck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.