Emigrating to NZ

Old Sep 30th 2020, 9:51 am
Just Joined

Peter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emigrating to NZ

Hi all,
Me and my fiancée have finally, after years of consideration and research decided to start looking into emigrating to beautiful New Zealand from the north of England with our young family.
I myself work in construction and my fiancée is a civil servant, we have 2 daughters, one 2 years old and one 6 years old.
We really love Nelson, we have researched numerous destinations etc in NZ to locate to but Nelson always seems to draw us and our young family in.
At this point we have no idea where to start, who to speak to and what process or avenue to take next. That being said we would really appreciate any advice from people that have done the same and know the best route to take and start the process.
Many thanks
Old Oct 1st 2020, 5:20 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Emigrating to NZ

Originally Posted by Peter and Steph
Hi all,
Me and my fiancée have finally, after years of consideration and research decided to start looking into emigrating to beautiful New Zealand from the north of England with our young family.
I myself work in construction and my fiancée is a civil servant, we have 2 daughters, one 2 years old and one 6 years old.
We really love Nelson, we have researched numerous destinations etc in NZ to locate to but Nelson always seems to draw us and our young family in.
At this point we have no idea where to start, who to speak to and what process or avenue to take next. That being said we would really appreciate any advice from people that have done the same and know the best route to take and start the process.
Many thanks
Before anything , first and foremost , is what immigration policy you would utilise to uplift a visa & from there can you actually be granted the visa to enter and live in the country.

I have lived in the Nelson area for 16 years now.

Have you ever been to New Zealand?
Old Oct 1st 2020, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Peter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond reputePeter and Steph has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
Before anything , first and foremost , is what immigration policy you would utilise to uplift a visa & from there can you actually be granted the visa to enter and live in the country.

I have lived in the Nelson area for 16 years now.

Have you ever been to New Zealand?
Thank you for your reply,
We haven't been to NZ no, we have family that have been there, and a family friend from Christchurch. We are getting married next summer so visiting isn't really a option at this point for us but this isn't something we have rushed into and naively think it is going to be a happy ever after. We understand that it will be a hard. We have been researching areas, work, schools etc alot over the last 6 months but have been speaking about it for the last few years. We have spoken to family friends that have emigrated to and live in Aus and Canada about the experience, pros and cons etc and all have said to join a forum and ask the people that have done the same but actually in NZ, so here we are.
We really don't know what policy to pursue. We both would be looking for work full-time. I am a time served data cable engineer, I have been for the last 19 years, I also hold qualifications in personal training. My fiancee is currently an administrative office finance manager at a large prison.
We are in the process of getting in touch with job agencies in NZ. My fiancee actually saw a job last night that is exactly what she does and would suit her perfectly.
We both earn £30000 each a year plus bonuses and overtime.
That being said we are not in no massive rush as we want to do this correctly and find the best option for us as a family as this whole process and our main reason for doing this is to give our little girls the best start in life.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks again for your reply
Old Oct 1st 2020, 3:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

The following website will help:

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/

https://www.newzealandnow.govt.nz/mo...-migrant-visas

https://www.immigration.govt.nz/new-...ve-permanently

As said, you need to qualify for a visa.
Old Oct 1st 2020, 4:32 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, we will check these out. Fingers crossed
Old Oct 1st 2020, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Initially, go wherever you can secure a job, then make plans to move to Nelson further down the line.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 9:58 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Justcol
Initially, go wherever you can secure a job, then make plans to move to Nelson further down the line.
Thats something we have spoken about. Nelson is our preferred location but we are more than happy to try anywhere in NZ.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:04 am
Just Joined

We checked if we would have enough points on the visa links above and I would. I have a diploma in health and fitness (personal training) which would give us the points required. Over the weekend we will get in touch with some job sites and send our information over and ask what options and actions we would be able to take next.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:27 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats something we have spoken about. Nelson is our preferred location but we are more than happy to try anywhere in NZ.
While I agree that the first step would be to go where work is, most people in the UK would not be more than happy to go anywhere in the UK. Unfortunately we can't all pick our preferred location but what are the reasons for a move? I suspect you picked Nelson because of weather but would you be happy in Invercargill just because it's NZ? If you are tied to a location because of visas or never have enough cash to afford a decent life in Nelson, would the move be a success?

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 2nd 2020 at 10:40 am.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 10:53 am
Just Joined

leroyS is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
Many thanks
you'll miss British banter and pub culture when you move. But on the flip side, you will get sun, palm trees, beach, scenery and a far more laid back lifestyle. Be prepared for lower quality standards in your work place. Eye opening lower quality.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Moses2013
While I agree that the first step would be to go where work is, most people in the UK would not be more than happy to go anywhere in the UK. Unfortunately we can't all pick our preferred location but what are the reasons for a move? I suspect you picked Nelson because of weather but would you be happy in Invercargill just because it's NZ? If you are tied to a location because of visas or never have enough cash to afford a decent life in Nelson, would the move be a success?
Our reasons for the move are because we want the best possible life for our children. Education is a massive reason for the move, we want our girls to have the best opportunities in life. Coming from the north of England we are used to unpredictable weather, rain, etc. We didn't chose Nelson because of the weather, it was because of education, art, all the opportunities it could bring to our girls.
We are not naive enough to know that life will have its challenges, weather, rain etc, sometimes loneliness, missing family, new cultures. It will be hard at times but we haven't made this decision on a whim, the opportunities just aren't here in the UK anymore, crime is at a all time high, further education is extortionate in price and not guaranteed. Unfortunately it just isn't the same UK as when I grew up. After speaking with someone working over here who is from Christchurch about various things, and alot of research we think NZ would provide a upbringing, and values that we want for our girls.
We want to give this a serious go, we have spoke. About this for a number of years and think now would be the best time to pursue it whilst our girls are still young and will do everything to make things work when (and if) we get over there.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leroyS
you'll miss British banter and pub culture when you move. But on the flip side, you will get sun, palm trees, beach, scenery and a far more laid back lifestyle. Be prepared for lower quality standards in your work place. Eye opening lower quality.
To be honest I don't drink much, maybe a handful of times a year. Although I know iyl miss the boys (rugby lads) we are hoping to embrace the culture and People and try to make new friends.
The laid-back lifestyle sounds just up my way tho. Ha
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:10 am
Just Joined

leroyS is an unknown quantity at this point

To be honest I don't drink much, maybe a handful of times a year. Although I know iyl miss the boys (rugby lads) we are hoping to embrace the culture and People and try to make new friends.
The laid-back lifestyle sounds just up my way tho. Ha
NZ is so laid back you will be horizontal m8. Especially Nelson. Plenty of nice wineries up there, sunny all year round too. Bit of a winter but it is amplified by the lower quality NZ housing. There's a few decent pubs there. Not the same as British pubs, but it's ok. Nelson has good access to Abel Tasman, Marlborough Sounds, Motueka, Nelson Lakes....All breathtaking scenery.

You'll miss typical "britishisms" that you never even knew you had, but that's a given considering you're from the UK obviously.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:22 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by leroyS
NZ is so laid back you will be horizontal m8. Especially Nelson. Plenty of nice wineries up there, sunny all year round too. Bit of a winter but it is amplified by the lower quality NZ housing. There's a few decent pubs there. Not the same as British pubs, but it's ok. Nelson has good access to Abel Tasman, Marlborough Sounds, Motueka, Nelson Lakes....All breathtaking scenery.

You'll miss typical "britishisms" that you never even knew you had, but that's a given considering you're from the UK obviously.
Sounds amazing, we love the seasons, a good winter, nice summer etc, and we are a outdoors family that love nature, walks, bikes etc, and I'm just getting girls into camping, I'm like a big kid.ha
I know we will miss alot, I come from a very very close nit northern town, but like I say it just isn't the same anymore, the social scene etc has gone. To be honest we really want to embrace the NZ way of life, the culture, morals etc.
Old Oct 2nd 2020, 11:45 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Our reasons for the move are because we want the best possible life for our children. Education is a massive reason for the move, we want our girls to have the best opportunities in life. Coming from the north of England we are used to unpredictable weather, rain, etc. We didn't chose Nelson because of the weather, it was because of education, art, all the opportunities it could bring to our girls.
We are not naive enough to know that life will have its challenges, weather, rain etc, sometimes loneliness, missing family, new cultures. It will be hard at times but we haven't made this decision on a whim, the opportunities just aren't here in the UK anymore, crime is at a all time high, further education is extortionate in price and not guaranteed. Unfortunately it just isn't the same UK as when I grew up. After speaking with someone working over here who is from Christchurch about various things, and alot of research we think NZ would provide a upbringing, and values that we want for our girls.
We want to give this a serious go, we have spoke. About this for a number of years and think now would be the best time to pursue it whilst our girls are still young and will do everything to make things work when (and if) we get over there.
Not saying you are naive but it's always the location within the country rather than the country itself. I can understand why people would want to leave the UK and eventually ended up in Ireland myself and feel a lot safer here than in the UK but it's mainly also the location. Many places in the Western world will have education, opportunities and art but you still have poverty and people who fail. Even in Christchurch you have crime and drugs and my cousin also had friends in Christchurch who had to rebuild most of their home after the earthquake and are financially ruined. Values I don't know and most kids like their smartphones these days and parents are the same. I also have a work colleague who thought NZ was laid back 20 years ago but eventually returned from Dunedin and talks about how it's changed. Everybody has an opinion but my point was that you should focus on where in NZ you can find the things you are missing now but please don't be so desperate that you will go anywhere (This often leads to failure). We also spend a lot of time in Spain and luckily can afford a small place there but sunshine, outdoor living and good schooling is worthless if you are broke at the end of the month (Life is life). Good luck anyway

Last edited by Moses2013; Oct 2nd 2020 at 11:49 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.