British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   emigrating to NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/emigrating-nz-923091/)

stuart021 Mar 10th 2019 8:55 pm

emigrating to NZ

Hi all
I am looking to emigrate out of the UK.
I am an electrician and my wife is a primary school teacher. I am just wondering on the best areas are to settle with a young family?
I am not expecting to be a millionaire and currently work around 50+ hours a week which I am fine with continuing. I am looking for a better way of life for my wife and daughter (plus any future kids we have)
I have read many of the posts on here but would like a more recent evaluation of what to expect as an electrician working in NZ.
Thanks Stuart.

chc4me Mar 11th 2019 1:32 am

Re: emigrating to NZ

Hi Stuart, welcome to the site. Lots of experienced folk on here to offer an opinion or two. To help with replies, you might like to add extra information about why you are moving, what you are aiming for, and what is important to you, your wife and family. For example, we like fishing so being close to the water is important" or "within 1 hour of an international airport is a must".
Best wishes

Justcol Mar 12th 2019 9:29 am

Cant help with where to live. Its like saying I'm moving to the uk, where's a good place for kids and young families
look on seek and trademe for jobs and house prices / rental costs

escapedtonz Mar 12th 2019 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by stuart021 (Post 12651257)
Hi all
I am looking to emigrate out of the UK.
I am an electrician and my wife is a primary school teacher. I am just wondering on the best areas are to settle with a young family?
I am not expecting to be a millionaire and currently work around 50+ hours a week which I am fine with continuing. I am looking for a better way of life for my wife and daughter (plus any future kids we have)
I have read many of the posts on here but would like a more recent evaluation of what to expect as an electrician working in NZ.
Thanks Stuart.

Deciding on an area to live beforehand isn't advisable. It will seriously restrict potential jobs and job offers. Best advice is to be open to anything. The job is the trigger and key component in getting to NZ. Once here living and working you can then research the perfect employer, job and location that fits your family and make a plan to get to that point in your life.
You'll need to apply to the EWRB to gain NZ registration so you can work unsupervised. and be paid appropriately around $30-$35 per hour. You'll have to submit qualifications, experience etc, pay a fee and the EWRB will tell you what you need to do to become licensed here. You may have to take a study course and/or a first aid course either in the UK before you arrive or in NZ. You can work here without the licensing and on a restricted license but you'll be classed as a learner/apprentice and won't get much more than minimum wage and you'll also have to be supervised which won't work in the long term for any employer.
Tradestaff and Canstaff may be good initial contacts and may be able to point you in the right direction for work. Be careful though as these types of recruiters are only there to make money so carefully consider what you are being offered and not advisable to be signing long contracts with them so you remain having the ability to explore other routes as and when you wish.
Don't expect to do any less work or hours here, however your working week will probably be much more chilled out, less stressful with a bit more cheer and early finish on a Friday for a beer and bbq in the yard with other workmates. Standard annual leave is 4 weeks per year.
Similarly for the Mrs, she'll need to become registered to work as a teacher. I hear its more who you know rather than what you know to land positions in teaching. Regular advice seems to point a person to volunteering their assistance in a local school or schools to develop friendships/relationships, gain experience and then see where that takes you.