Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

take that money, take the cost of renting, don't forget you need a Bond - use Trademe, then go onto to Countdown and do a weeks shop, don't forget about washing powder, shampoo etc, then look at costs of phones, car, insurances, medical bills - on average say $35 a visit for anyone over 6yrs - toys for the kids, outings, school costs if you have school aged children, bus/train fares if you only get one car and you need it for work and MrsK wants to go out with the children. etc.
If and I say If as many people on here have not been able to secure work for the second adult, MrsK gets a job you will have child care to consider as well so the income from that would need to cover the cost of that at least. Not sure on child minders costs but After School Care generally in the Wellignton area is around $18 hours for 3 hours/or session and can go as high as $25 hours a session so no hours just a session fee per child.

On a 2:1 basis and most people say 3:1 that take home is £550. could you survive in the UK on that and be able to live the life style you want to?
Do you have the funds to move over and then some to help you along the way, so no debts in the UK and a lump sum to possibly leave there and bring over when needed or bought over if you come?

Mind you saying all that if you don't try something you will never know if it can be done. Just have as many bases covered as possible and a way out if needed
Old Oct 11th 2014, 10:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westie1234
Hmm tough choice (not), I'm still leaning heavily in favour of BarnsleyMat's advice to 'Stay in Kent'.

For the OP that place is a 'unit' which are usually a row of low budget small units which are all joined together in a row / terrace. The address 8/15 suggests that this is one of at least eight units at 15 O'Sullivan place. The best comparison I can draw is usually those kind of places look like and attract a demographic similar to what we call 'social housing' in the UK. i.e. council / housing association places.

ETA it is also for sale.

http://www.realestate.co.nz/2232526

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; Oct 11th 2014 at 10:11 pm.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 11:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Hmm tough choice (not), I'm still leaning heavily in favour of BarnsleyMat's advice to 'Stay in Kent'.

For the OP that place is a 'unit' which are usually a row of low budget small units which are all joined together in a row / terrace. The address 8/15 suggests that this is one of at least eight units at 15 O'Sullivan place. The best comparison I can draw is usually those kind of places look like and attract a demographic similar to what we call 'social housing' in the UK. i.e. council / housing association places.

ETA it is also for sale.

Present all Offers - Beat the Bank - Realestate.co.nz

Had a look at the house on Google earth. You're spot on, Bo.

Can't imagine anyone emigrating to live in a place like that if they have children, and if they're currently enjoying a comfortable life in the UK.

It reminds me of the retirement unit my MIL used to live in. She fled as soon as she could. It was so cold, damp, and dismal that even she, a NZer inured to discomfort, didn't want to stay.

One of my Sister in laws currently lives in a place a bit like this, although it's a retirement unit and in a better neighborhood. The last time we were in Christchurch we dropped her off at the back of her house. I was confused, thinking we had stopped at a public toilet. Her unit certainly resembles one from the back, as it was built mostly of uninsulated painted cement block.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

$1100 a week would be tight I would say, unless you are bringing a good lump of money over from the UK and could reduce the cost of a mortgage significantly.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

yeah. we have a family of 4 and I'm on about 1320/week and that is tight in Auckland. My wife has sourced a good job though so we'll be a lot more comfortable come November.

It's a tough call. This weekend we spent in St Helliers, Ambury park farm, Elsmore Park and takapuna beach this avo - so fabulous weekend with nice weather. And you need to compare that to saving your pennies every week and shedding out a load for rent.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles

ETA it is also for sale.

Present all Offers - Beat the Bank - Realestate.co.nz
Negative as usual Bo jangles.Two are joined together hardly all joined together if you bothered to look.

Prob best if you moved to Kent Bo jangles
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by westie1234
Negative as usual Bo jangles.Two are joined together hardly all joined together if you bothered to look.

Prob best if you moved to Kent Bo jangles
I did have a look, and Bo is essentially correct. There are 7 pairs of units, each with two dwellings, and a single house, probably the originally house before subdivision. The units are close together with hardly any backyard. When you get down to street view you can see it has that "units" look that make them some of the cheapest and least desirable housing in New Zealand.

From Google earth you can also see how developers are allowed to build on such small sections. Nearly all of the new houses have very little yard.

Last edited by The Weezer; Oct 12th 2014 at 1:26 pm.
Old Oct 12th 2014, 1:57 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Weezer
I did have a look, and Bo is essentially correct. There are 7 pairs of units, each with two dwellings, and a single house, probably the originally house before subdivision. The units are close together with hardly any backyard. When you get down to street view you can see it has that "units" look that make them some of the cheapest and least desirable housing in New Zealand.

From Google earth you can also see how developers are allowed to build on such small sections. Nearly all of the new houses have very little yard.
It will be base for a period of time to get the feel for the area whilst not paying a fortune in rent. If they wish to they can spend more in rent and get a better property of course. Hopefully they can buy in the surrounding areas you can get a nice house for around 450k.

Bo is commenting on the demographics of the area when she hasn't even been there to many assumptions for me. The OP doesn't seem interested in the area so I wont carry on.

Just wanted to show it would be possible to live on that wage in Waiuku. Have a look around the are on realestate web site and gauge if its for you.

Last edited by westie1234; Oct 12th 2014 at 2:01 pm.