Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:14 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Originally Posted by Northern Henry
Yep, moaners and groaners.
No, no; I didn't really mean that. It was just an observation that a forum like this might represent a balance of views only if you are able to consider them as a whole, iyswim. Individual posts can express quite strong views and while that might be reality and truth for that poster, it's not necessarily objective.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:24 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
True, but is it really worth to uproot a family, severe the links between the kids/grandkids and the grandparents to be somewhere in the middle?.
I understand what you are saying but by the middle ground I meant people who are happily content with their life here, rather than completely miserable or ecstatic. Happily Content allows for some disatisfaction and some delight and and is probably a very realistic state to aim for.
But yes, I totally get your point and I am not sure anymore that any amount of NZ lifestyle can really make up for those things
Old Oct 9th 2014, 8:29 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

every bodies experiences are going to be different, you didn't live the same life in the country you came from as anyone else on here. The best you can do is offer up your own experiences and advise and then let other people make up their own minds how they wish to proceed.

The advice I would give anyone is do not burn your bridges in the country you are coming from and have a back up plan - get out of jail free card- if things mean you have to make alternative arrangements. Make sure you have enough money for at least the first 6 months of being here, you will need to buy stuff to set up, and that is after the money it will cost you to get over here in the first place. Don't expect to much, I have found myself saying "lower your expectations" a lot.
It is a beautiful country, kids don't care, but at the end of the honeymoon period you will still have to work, do housework, budget and all the other mundane day to day stuff you do now you may just not have the support you had back in the country on departure.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:13 pm
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Kadders12
Hi,
I have been offered a job in Manukau City, South Auckland.
I have a wife and 2 children, 3 and 5.
Does anyone know the area and whether it would be a nice place for me and my family to live?
We are emigrating for a better lifestyle and safer place to raise our children.
Any advise would be great.
Thanks
Hi

We moved over a month ago and my hubby has been here a bit longer. Yes, we live in the dreaded South Auckland area, and we're doing just fine. :thumb up:

I'm sure other posters have had not very pleasant experiences and I'm not discounting them, I've just had different experiences. We are in The Gardens, about 5 mins from Manukau City. I consider it fairly safe, certainly no worse than Wales. The house we are renting is pricey, $600 a month but it is lovely with a great garden and direct access to a reserve, which is fab for the kids. The school is very, very good. My kids were in an excellent school in Wales and I was very concerned about the level of education here but they have settled into their new school really well and are loving learning new things.

My biggest surprise has been the behaviour of the young teens here (our school is a primary and intermediate), most of those from the school have been really sensible and dare I say it mature. Please and thank you's, deferring to adults and just being generally respectful every time I've gone to school. While I'm sure that isn't true of all schools, I really can't say enough wonderful things about my children's school.

Hubby is enjoying work, and generally it takes 20-30 minutes to get to work in central Auckland, unless there has been an accident. Groceries and toiletries are expensive. You can shop around and save but even with savings the reality is your shopping bills will be more.

New Zealand definitely isn't for everyone, if you think life is going to be easier and you'll have more money the odds are you probably won't. Best advise, do your research and then do some more research and then do some more research.

Good Luck!
Old Oct 10th 2014, 12:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

If you can, try and come over for a few weeks and think 'can I live here'. Don't come for a holiday because most people that come on holiday would more than likely be the ones that moved here. It may be expensive but at least you can have an idea of what you'd be moving to. We didn't and it's probably something I wished I did just so that we didn't result in last minute panics.

Where in Kent do you live? I can understand your reasoning to move if living in places like Gillingham in particular.

In terms of living, I suppose it's whatever suits your boat in terms of commuting. I visit Auckland at least once a week and if you don't mind a potential longish commute then Whitford is a nice little place to move to. You don't have the expensive costs that Auckland possesses. I'd only recommend moving to Auckland if you had at least a million bucks to play with. Cracking CBD but very expensive.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

600 bucks a month MegMAc? surely you mean a week???
Old Oct 10th 2014, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Ok lets try to balance it out a little
some plus points for south auckland
1 errrrrrr !!!!!
2 Hmmm !!!!!
3 aarrrrr !!!!!
Old Oct 10th 2014, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
Ok lets try to balance it out a little
some plus points for south auckland
1 errrrrrr !!!!!
2 Hmmm !!!!!
3 aarrrrr !!!!!
Western South Auckland : Variety of cultures, great people, cheaper housing, Manakau mall. Eastern South Auckland : Many areas of modern living, pleasant beaches, good schools, Botany Downs town centre where I happened to sit out on the patio type area there under a sun umbrella having a lunch of nachos filled with chicken, corn salsa and sour cream today etc. And as I ate my lunch, I thought about this thread and smiled quietly

Last edited by garethwm; Oct 10th 2014 at 8:15 am.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 8:31 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

... although it is very true that there are big areas of low socio economic status in Western Sth Auckland. Otara may well be one of the poorest suburbs of any city in the country, I imagine.
Old Oct 10th 2014, 8:47 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MegMac
Hi

We moved over a month ago and my hubby has been here a bit longer. Yes, we live in the dreaded South Auckland area, and we're doing just fine. :thumb up:

I'm sure other posters have had not very pleasant experiences and I'm not discounting them, I've just had different experiences. We are in The Gardens, about 5 mins from Manukau City. I consider it fairly safe, certainly no worse than Wales. The house we are renting is pricey, $600 a month but it is lovely with a great garden and direct access to a reserve, which is fab for the kids. The school is very, very good. My kids were in an excellent school in Wales and I was very concerned about the level of education here but they have settled into their new school really well and are loving learning new things.

My biggest surprise has been the behaviour of the young teens here (our school is a primary and intermediate), most of those from the school have been really sensible and dare I say it mature. Please and thank you's, deferring to adults and just being generally respectful every time I've gone to school. While I'm sure that isn't true of all schools, I really can't say enough wonderful things about my children's school.

Hubby is enjoying work, and generally it takes 20-30 minutes to get to work in central Auckland, unless there has been an accident. Groceries and toiletries are expensive. You can shop around and save but even with savings the reality is your shopping bills will be more.

New Zealand definitely isn't for everyone, if you think life is going to be easier and you'll have more money the odds are you probably won't. Best advise, do your research and then do some more research and then do some more research.

Good Luck!
Yeah I can recommend The Gardens. I went to see a client there a while back and we got chatting about the area because I was looking for a property. We were sitting at her kitchen table looking at the view of Totara Park. She told me that she was forced to move there because of her husband's business and was upset because she believed that all of South Auckland was full of crime and gangs. Now 5 years later, with young children in the local school, she's sad to leave (again due to her husband's business). She says it's so peaceful and safe for the children. Good school etc. She says it's the best place she's ever lived. Nice new-build house too.

I went to see another client today in the doctor's surgery nearby and noticed that the fee for adults to see the doctor was $30 which is cheaper than in most parts of Auckland. I'm guessing it's cheap because technically it is in Manurewa, but the surgery looked very modern and well looked after. You'll find a lot of things much cheaper in South Auckland.

Those complaining about walking the dogs will be interested to hear that there is a large leash-free area in the Botanic Gardens just down the road.

Last edited by jmh; Oct 10th 2014 at 8:50 am.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 1:47 am
Forum Regular

MegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura aboutMegMac has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by desmondo84
600 bucks a month MegMAc? surely you mean a week???
LOL!!! Yup, seems I can't get my head around paying weekly. We pay $600 a week.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

Kadders12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

I cant remember all the questions but here is some more info...
We live in Bapchild which is a small village outside Sittingbourne.
My take home pay will be around $1100 a week. That will be our only income as my wife wont be working until my youngest starts school (+2yrs)
At the moment we are comfortable with money.
The last thing we want is to move and struggle to make ends meet.
I appreciate everyones advice.
Thanks
Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:06 pm
Forum Regular

A Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond reputeA Rush And A Push has a reputation beyond repute

My take home pay will be around $1100 a week. That will be our only income as my wife wont be working until my youngest starts school (+2yrs)
If that is your only income, I'd say no to Auckland (and I am in general a big fan of NZ). In Auckland you will probably be paying upwards of $500 rent a week for a house in a decent area. Add to that groceries ($200 a week, maybe less), electricity, petrol, car maintenance, phones, internet, insurance, basic purchases of clothes or a toaster or whatever it is you need that week - you will have virtually nothing left.

We are a family of 4 in Auckland and our monthly budget for "basics" is $4000. That's for mortgage, electricity, rates (you don't pay them if you're renting), phone, Internet, Sky, school bits and pieces (uniform, school trips etc), car, house and contents insurance, the occasional meal out or night out or trip somewhere with the kids. Ok, they are not all strictly basics, we could live without Sky or the occasional night out of course but life would be pretty dull.

You might manage on that income somewhere outside of Auckland where rents are cheaper? I'm not sure though.
Old Oct 11th 2014, 7:54 pm
---

Hi,

Thanks
That's a tight budget for Auckland and probably won't feel at all comfortable; sorry
Old Oct 11th 2014, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thanks
You could make do with that wage in waiuku as I stated before. travelling to Manakau will be ok.

As an example
3 Bedroom - Realestate.co.nz

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.