Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Old Oct 9th 2014, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating from Kent to Auckland

Manukau. . . . I wouldnt live there, its a bit too "Gansta" for my taste.
I'm sure there might be enclaves that are reasonable enough, but, nah....just nah!!

Pukekohe...nope

Anywhere from Otahuhu down to Drury would also be off my list
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Robbo25 View Post
Bevs, it is a concern though that whenever I see a new person come on here looking for a view of moving to NZ, the pack seems to round on them very quickly and negatively without balance.

I know that some people aren't happy,
Nobody is rounding on the OP, its just that, and lets be really honest here, Manukau is a shithole, half full
of the undesirables we dont want to be living next too. If anything, the one thing the OP can take from the
responses is that its not a particularly nice place to live, work yes, but live,no

I would say to anyone from the uk to come and try NZ, its an awesome place to live and raise a family.
Yes there are negatives about the place, just as there are with anywhere else in the world but if you do
your homework and find the right place, it is a fabulous place.
Would you rather everyone lie and say yes, Manukau is wonderful, and lead the OP down a road they
may regret, of course not, and thats not why we come on here.
Finding the right area is a personal and objective thing, what I like, someone else will not, its up to the OP
to filter through the replies and question further in to why people have responded the way they have

It seems Kadders has done some homework already and I'm sure our replies have confirmed what they already suspected

My advice would be to look around the country and see if there is anywhere else that would suit them better
Auckland housing is appalling but once you get over the bombays and head south or east things improve dramaitcally
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Bevs has already split a post because of the OTT response that was given to a poster asking an innocent question, all I am saying is that there is balance.

For instance I actually will take your comment about Manukau as a little bit of bait, because whilst the OP has said they have a job offer in Manukau City that doesn't mean that they have to live there. he has a job which is something many struggle to gain, so maybe suggesting somewhere commutable might be a better idea.

Also what you may seek in terms of lifestyle and what constitutes a "shithole" may not be the same for others.

And yes he should know what an area is like in reality and quantifying statements is important in my opinion not just coming out with the same vitriolic bollocks and sweeping statements that some seem to.

Last edited by Robbo25; Oct 9th 2014 at 1:18 am.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:27 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

OP: be aware that there are many many more happily settled expats than this forum suggests. Also, be aware that just as with 'customer feedback', forums like this have a tendency to collect the extreme values: those who are passionate one way or the other are the majority of posters with far fewer representing the massive middle ground.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
OP: be aware that there are many many more happily settled expats than this forum suggests. Also, be aware that just as with 'customer feedback', forums like this have a tendency to collect the extreme values: those who are passionate one way or the other are the majority of posters with far fewer representing the massive middle ground.

Spot on for both sides of the coin
Old Oct 9th 2014, 6:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

True, but is it really worth to uproot a family, severe the links between the kids/grandkids and the grandparents to be somewhere in the middle?

My opinion, if you have a good relationship with the rest of your family, have a decent job, live in a decent area, stay put. NZ is not worth the troubleā€¦..especially not Auckland.

Last edited by Assanah; Oct 9th 2014 at 7:01 am.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 7:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I gave my opinion based on what I know of Kent and what I know of South Auckland - to my mind the two places are diametrically opposed and I don't actually give a rats arse if people think otherwise or choose to live there; it's their life, some may like it and of course some people don't have a choice.

When a poster come here asking should I move from Kent to South Auckland, don't expect me to flower it up and sugar coat it with 'she'll be right' platitudes.

Kent is the 'Garden of England' it has some beautiful towns and villages, some pockets of places that are full of Chavs and some handful of not so nice places - there are very few places I would consider particularly unsafe for family life. The OP will know where they fit into on the scale of nice to not so nice places in Kent.

It's nothing personal just a fact of life that a LOT of South Auckland is as rough as guts and it's not only me that thinks so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Auckland
Old Oct 9th 2014, 7:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

And yes he should know what an area is like in reality and quantifying statements is important in my opinion not just coming out with the same vitriolic bollocks and sweeping statements that some seem to.
Good job I didn't say what I really thought, I was being far kinder and more diplomatic than I could have been:

''I think you would have to live in an exceptionally shitty bit of Kent to find any improvements in South Auckland to be honest."

Was in fact me being a bit of a weasel and not saying what I really think - it hardly constitutes as vitriolic bollocks in my book!
Old Oct 9th 2014, 7:50 am
Forum Regular

desmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nicedesmondo84 is just really nice

Hey Kadders,

I arrived in Auckland at the end of August with a job based in Manurewa - just south of Manakau, with a wife and 2 kids. We did a reasonable bit of research but not enough lol. The cost of living here is tough going. Our rent is 520/week for an okay house in Botany but that is a large whack of my salary. At the minute, my entire Salary is pretty much spent on living which is a bit scary. My wife has got a full-time job lined up in November so that will be a big help but it wasn't part of our initial plan.

In terms of lifestyle, I enjoy it. Work is soooo much more relaxed. I love being close to the beaches and there are some nice walks nearby. Still a bit chilly at night but hopefully it will warm up soon.

Looking back, I should have done more research and negotiated harder with the salary. We have a fair whack for a deposit so buying is hopefully not option but it will be tight.

In a nutshell - if you have loads of cash and a good job lined up - go for it. If not, think very very carefully.

At the moment, we have no regrets. Life was boring in the UK. I was bored of work, bored of where we lived and heck, you only live once. Worst case, we go home again (albeit poorer). It was always a dream for us, so why not give it a shot.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 8:32 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I know people that thought Woking is a bit rough, but it's not something that I would subscribe to at least publically
Yup, I lived in Woking for 18 years. I liked it. Some don't though. Some say it's got a bad reputation in the evening when the pubs are open.

It's (another) commuter town. Property is expensive. It's good for shopping and entertainment.

We sold our house in Woking and relocated to New Zealand. To cut a long story short we now live in Wanganui - look it up on the map. I love not living in Auckland. Yes, really.

My husband's mother lives in Pakauranga. His sister lives in Silverdale and commutes to central Auckland for work each day. Her husband's company is based in Manukau. (Don't ask)

Botany is just another traffic jam en-route to the MIL's house. Well, that's Botany, Botany South, Botany Downs, Botany Junction. Just heart sink after heart sink - 'no major industry just miles and miles of parking space' (lyrics from the song, 'No Man's Land' by Billy Joel.)

I was there a couple of weeks ago, I used the car wash at 'Z' petrol station at Pakauranga before getting back into 6 lanes of traffic to continue on to our destination. It's just meaningless suburbs with a shopping mall plonked in the middle of them and they've got the nerve to call yet another meaningless shopping mall the town centre ! Shyte on that as far as I'm concerned.

Is Wanganui heaven on earth ? No, not by a long way. It is what it is. Circumstance bought us here, i.e. my husband's job offer. Are we here forever ? Don't know, ask me another.

Even after three and a half years living in NZ I still wonder just how bad does Britain have to be to make New Zealand look good ?

Last edited by Snap Shot; Oct 9th 2014 at 9:00 am. Reason: car wash
Old Oct 9th 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, moaners and groaners.
Advise Kadders to seek rounded views from other global forums about NZ before relying purely on BE. Many points valid possibly, but here does seem to attract a high proportion of "I hate it here". I've met loads of Brits who seem to be loving it, as we currently are- yes there are differences and all places have bad areas. RESEARCH is your friend, household situations are very different for everyone- so their situation may not be yours.. cheap housing vs expensive housing in a city area- there is usually a reason (as anywhere in the world) but somewhere in there is the compromise. Suggest studying up on schooling options/ Decile ratings/commute times/ trade me property-Real estate online/ leaky homes/commuting in reverse of the rush hour (i.e. opposite the main flow)/ crime rates/ street view can paint a thousand words/ etc etc
The less you come over blind and ignorant the less shockers there will be..
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
I gave my opinion based on what I know of Kent and what I know of South Auckland - to my mind the two places are diametrically opposed and I don't actually give a rats arse if people think otherwise or choose to live there; it's their life, some may like it and of course some people don't have a choice.

When a poster come here asking should I move from Kent to South Auckland, don't expect me to flower it up and sugar coat it with 'she'll be right' platitudes.

Kent is the 'Garden of England' it has some beautiful towns and villages, some pockets of places that are full of Chavs and some handful of not so nice places - there are very few places I would consider particularly unsafe for family life. The OP will know where they fit into on the scale of nice to not so nice places in Kent.

It's nothing personal just a fact of life that a LOT of South Auckland is as rough as guts and it's not only me that thinks so.

South Auckland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
And it's fine to have opinions, the poster knows Kent they don't know Auckland and you are giving a very blinkered view. My own opinion is honestly that I would not live in the South East of England if you paid me, I dislike London and from what I know of Kent it is a dump. I would not tell someone to not go there, I would give an objective view with balance and then let them make their own mind up.

Yes many people think that South Auckland is rough as guts just as many think London's a dump, I am not saying to flower it up, I am saying that if you can't be objective, which you plainly can't be then maybe shutting up would be a great option, having said that at least coming on and moaning gives you something to live for
Old Oct 9th 2014, 10:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kadders12 View Post
Hi,
I have been offered a job in Manukau City, South Auckland.
I have a wife and 2 children, 3 and 5.
Does anyone know the area and whether it would be a nice place for me and my family to live?
We are emigrating for a better lifestyle and safer place to raise our children.
Any advise would be great.
Thanks
Never been to Manukau City, but I guess it really depends what you want in life. Are you planning to live long term there, what is you current situation etc. Kent is actually not a bad place to live and again depends where in Kent you live. Kent is one of the warmest places in Britain, you get a good amount of sunshine, you don't need a visa, nice scenery, coast, you can get to Paris by train in less than 2 hrs, London isn't far meaning that you get cheap flights to the rest of Europe......
Old Oct 9th 2014, 11:18 am
Somewhere rather noisy .

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

So. Everyone take a deep breath here.

and can we also be mindful of BE rule 1 too. Thanks

Boring old matra I know but we are all entitled to write our views. Can we just do that without the personal jibes please.

I will also add that BE is just as good a platform as any other of it's ilk. If you are reading differing views and opinions , then that is testament to the 'roundness' of BE .
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

westie1234 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by desmondo84 View Post
Hey Kadders,

I arrived in Auckland at the end of August with a job based in Manurewa - just south of Manakau, with a wife and 2 kids. We did a reasonable bit of research but not enough lol. The cost of living here is tough going. Our rent is 520/week for an okay house in Botany but that is a large whack of my salary. At the minute, my entire Salary is pretty much spent on living which is a bit scary. My wife has got a full-time job lined up in November so that will be a big help but it wasn't part of our initial plan.

In terms of lifestyle, I enjoy it. Work is soooo much more relaxed. I love being close to the beaches and there are some nice walks nearby. Still a bit chilly at night but hopefully it will warm up soon.

Looking back, I should have done more research and negotiated harder with the salary. We have a fair whack for a deposit so buying is hopefully not option but it will be tight.

In a nutshell - if you have loads of cash and a good job lined up - go for it. If not, think very very carefully.

At the moment, we have no regrets. Life was boring in the UK. I was bored of work, bored of where we lived and heck, you only live once. Worst case, we go home again (albeit poorer). It was always a dream for us, so why not give it a shot.
Have a look around Waiuku if you want cheaper rent. It is a good place to raise your children and has a lot of sporting facilities. Not sure of the drive time in peak hour, should take around 30 mins non peak time to Manurewa.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.