Reload this Page >

Emigrating with Dog in Tow

Emigrating with Dog in Tow

Old Nov 28th 2012, 11:34 am
Just Joined

Tina1912 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Emigrating with Dog in Tow

Hi All,

Hope those of you that have emigrated with dogs may be able to help with this one. We intend to bring our dog out with us when we emigrate April/May next year. He is due for vet exam and routine boosters etc this weekend. So thought we would ask the Vets advice about emigrating with pets, but as some of you may have already done so, thought you also would be able to help.

Does he also need a Rabies vaccination ie. 6 months before we go??.

Am I right in thinking he will go into quarantine for 30 days on arrival and another vet check.?.

Still waiting on transport company to get back in touch with us about cost of crate/paperwork etc etc. But brain in whizzing at the moment and just want to make sure he can go with us.

Thanks Everyone

Tx
Old Nov 28th 2012, 5:53 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating with Dog in Tow

Originally Posted by Tina1912
Hi All,

YES

Am I right in thinking he will go into quarantine for 30 days on arrival and another vet check.?.

YES
have a look on the companies websites as they should have lots of information or you could look on http://www.nzimmigrationinformation.com/pets.htm
Old Nov 28th 2012, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,
We're preparing our two at the moment. The first thing is to get your pooch microchipped if not already, and the rabies vaccine done as that needs to be at least 6 months before he arrives. It needs to be followed by a rabies blood test at least 3 months before arrival, but the optimum time is around 2 weeks after the rabies vaccine. Ask your vet if they're registered to do pet passports as they are generally aware of the requirements.

As for quarantine, I think it's 10 days if you're arriving from the UK. Unless it's changed recently, in which case that's bad news, 10 days without our fur babies is bad enough, but 30?!

Not sure where you might be heading, but we've found Pethaven in Auckland very helpful and friendly.

Good luck with it all.

Last edited by clairesw; Nov 28th 2012 at 7:46 pm. Reason: Typo, stupid mac auto correct!
Old Nov 28th 2012, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Rabies jab 6 months before you need to go and then the blood test a two weeks later (if I remember correctly), if you leave the blood test too long the antibodies will fade and you will need to start all over again - get your vet to check minimum time for the blood test. Remember its 6 months from the confirmed lab result jab so if you fail, its six months from the second jab.

Also unless they have changed it its 10 days in quarantine. Also they have to have all the relevant paperwork and be done for fleas and ticks etc before they go.

Good luck
Old Nov 29th 2012, 1:39 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Loads of info on here. Do a thread search on moving with dog. We used Golden Arrow as have many others. They were great, took a lot of the stress out of moving Bella. She arrived safe and well and loving here new life by the beach. Expensive but well worth it.
Kaz
Old Nov 29th 2012, 4:48 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

sorry was in a bit of a hurry this morning, from the link given in my post

"Apart from pets arriving from Australia, all pets have to be placed in quarantine.

You will need to place you pet in quarantine for at least 10 days in New Zealand. This will cost you approximately between NZ$1200 and NZ$1,800 per animal including transportation from the airport and MAF inspection fees.

There are five approved quarantine facilities in New Zealand located in
* Avondale, Auckland (cats only)
* Takanini, Auckland
* Pokeno, Auckland
* Levin (North of Wellington)
* Aylesbury, west of Christchurch"

hope that helps
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:04 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
sorry was in a bit of a hurry this morning, from the link given in my post

"Apart from pets arriving from Australia, all pets have to be placed in quarantine.

You will need to place you pet in quarantine for at least 10 days in New Zealand. This will cost you approximately between NZ$1200 and NZ$1,800 per animal including transportation from the airport and MAF inspection fees.

There are five approved quarantine facilities in New Zealand located in
* Avondale, Auckland (cats only)
* Takanini, Auckland
* Pokeno, Auckland
* Levin (North of Wellington)
* Aylesbury, west of Christchurch"

hope that helps
Thank you all for your very informative and helpful replies. Thankfully he is already microchipped and we have a monthly plan that covers costs of monthly tick/flea etc. I'll certainly check out the website and ask it our Vet can do Pet Passports. I'm dreading being without him once we arrive (this is where you wish you could sit them down like the kids and explain everything too them). He's a rescue and was dumped and I'm worried he'll think he's been dumped again (how soppy is that). Anyway hopefully once he's home again with us he'll settle in and we will all be very happy in our new home.

Tina
Old Nov 29th 2012, 8:09 am
Forum Regular

clairesw is an unknown quantity at this point

Not soppy at all. They're part of the family aren't they?

I'm trying not to think too much about it at the moment, it's going to be horrible for a while but it will all be worth it.

Good luck!
Old Nov 29th 2012, 7:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Hope those of you that have emigrated with dogs may be able to help with this one. We intend to bring our dog out with us when we emigrate April/May next year. He is due for vet exam and routine boosters etc this weekend. So thought we would ask the Vets advice about emigrating with pets, but as some of you may have already done so, thought you also would be able to help.

Still waiting on transport company to get back in touch with us about cost of crate/paperwork etc etc. But brain in whizzing at the moment and just want to make sure he can go with us.

Thanks Everyone

Tx
What breed of dog is it?
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Not soppy. I was more worried about the dog than the kids.
He will be fine and it will be worth the cost and the stress.
Good luck
Kaz
Old Nov 30th 2012, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice

Hey,

I agree not soppy at all. We are going through the separation at the mo and its tough! We only decided to move in June and got his rabies jabs done but meant he can't travel til 19th dec, we left him with my father in law on 8th Oct so very Long time! Really tough today as all our stuff has arrived from UK so been unpacking his bowls, toys, beds etc

It is just 10 days in quaratine. We will be using Pethaven. One thing to check is when the close for holidays, in theory we should have been picking our dog up on 31st Dec, but they are closed til 3rd Jan. they also close the day after he arrive here, so ave decided not to visit him as could only see him that one day before they close ...hard decision but think its best for him as don't want him to get all excited then us leave him for another few weeks.

We are using golden arrow, agree its expensive though they were our cheapest quote, but they have been fantastic esp getting ack to us quickly since we have moved.

Overall, I would say arrange for your dog to come after you as although you miss them like mad, it's hard doing things with them here, like staying in hotels etc until you find somewhere to rent, and I can't imagine how he would ave been today with our stuff arriving...when we were packing up he was really withdrawn, so wouldn't have wanted to stress him again thinking we were off again!!

Last edited by LittleMonkey; Nov 30th 2012 at 7:43 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:11 am
Just Joined

Hi
Everyone

He is a jack russell/staffie cross. We named him "Rascal" and he was well named. Loves long walks and lots of playing fetch and "Kong" is definately king in his world. We've had him 14months and he is now approx 4yrs old.

Thanks for the advice about maybe arranging for him to come after we arrive - certainly I think it may make things easier re: finding property etc. Need to talk nicely to my parents lol!.AGAIN

Last edited by Tina1912; Nov 30th 2012 at 11:14 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:26 am
Forum Regular

LittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really niceLittleMonkey is just really nice

Hi
Everyone

He is a jack russell/staffie cross. We named him "Rascal" and he was well named. Loves long walks and lots of playing fetch and "Kong" is definately king in his world. We've had him 14months and he is now approx 4yrs old.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=3&theater.

Thanks for the advice about maybe arranging for him to come after we arrive - certainly I think it may make things easier re: finding property etc. Need to talk nicely to my parents lol!.AGAIN

Another thing that helped us, and some people did laugh, but we made a portfolio of him to show agents and potential landlords, it included pics of him, references from people who had looked after him, and his training records. This was mainly because he wasn't here and therefore they couldn't meet him. Where are you looking to rent? Can recommend our agent to you, she was defo the best re dogs, a few just simply weren't interested as soon as we said the word dog! But our agent showed us 3 properties the day we went in, and the one we liked she rang the landlord immediately to query about our dog, was all sorted 2 days after we arrived!!

Last edited by LittleMonkey; Nov 30th 2012 at 11:29 am.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 11:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by LittleMonkey
Another thing that helped us, and some people did laugh, but we made a portfolio of him to show agents and potential landlords, it included pics of him, references from people who had looked after him, and his training records. This was mainly because he wasn't here and therefore they couldn't meet him. Where are you looking to rent? Can recommend our agent to you, she was defo the best re dogs, a few just simply weren't interested as soon as we said the word dog! But our agent showed us 3 properties the day we went in, and the one we liked she rang the landlord immediately to query about our dog, was all sorted 2 days after we arrived!!
That's a fantastic idea - never thought about doing a "portfolio" of him. We've done training classes and he's been to "doggy day care", so they may also do him a "reference" lol. Hoping to rent in Hamilton area, as think we may have a better chance affording rent and from what we've been told it's family friendly area and not too far to commute to CBD. Just don't think we'd be able to afford Auckland - though I like North Shore lol!..
Old Nov 30th 2012, 6:26 pm

they seem to be big on doggy day care over here. well in Welly they do. not something I had seen before. So maybe saying that when you are out he would attend one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.