Emergency sirens

Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:22 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emergency sirens

Uh... do they set them off just for fun?

Ours just went off.

Yet again. It's gone off 4 times since we started renting here, 4 weeks ago. All completely different days and times.

Anything happen?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:44 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency sirens

Originally Posted by Maz

Ours just went off.

Yet again. It's gone off 4 times since we started renting here, 4 weeks ago. All completely different days and times.

Anything happen?
its to summon the volunteer fire fighters to a "shout".
first one I heard I thought "oh my god here comes 'the big one'"!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:49 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lardyl
its to summon the volunteer fire fighters to a "shout".
first one I heard I thought "oh my god here comes 'the big one'"!
Uh... and a "shout" is what, exactly?...

No rumbles since we got here, and no fires in our area...

Have felt rumbles before in Illinois, and have seen fires from the refineries... but nothing closer than that.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:54 am
Family landed :)

newzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nicenewzealandplease is just really nice

a shout is a callout to a fire or whatever

One caught us out whilst we were in Blenheim, didn't know if we should run for cover

shop assistant had a good laugh when we asked what it was
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:59 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Uh... and a "shout" is what, exactly?...

No rumbles since we got here, and no fires in our area...

Have felt rumbles before in Illinois, and have seen fires from the refineries... but nothing closer than that.
fire service also have to cut people out of the odd RTA.............so there may not be an obvious fire, also they provide cover over a suprising area so I'd imagine that some of those were to fires or false alarms, there is a public webpage that lists the last week's NZFS calls, I'll PM it to you if you are interested in how the siren and incidents are related!!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:22 am
Maz

Originally Posted by newzealandplease
a shout is a callout to a fire or whatever

One caught us out whilst we were in Blenheim, didn't know if we should run for cover

shop assistant had a good laugh when we asked what it was
Good laugh? Uh... OK... I'm assuming she was also a newbie being made fun of...

fire service also have to cut people out of the odd RTA
"cut people out of the odd RTA"

In English please? Thanks!

I'll PM it to you if you are interested in how the siren and incidents are related!!
Please do, thanks luvvie!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:55 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz

Shorthand for "road traffic accident". (Well at least it is in the UK)
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maz

Hey Maz, at 12 noon on Saturday, when it sounds just once (instead of the usual twice) that's just the test! If you go past the fire station at Plimmerton, there is a board in the front telling you what the last call out was for and where - don't know if they have that at every station?!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 7:10 pm
Maz

Originally Posted by CharlesMacLeod
Shorthand for "road traffic accident". (Well at least it is in the UK)
Super, thanks!

Originally Posted by Wilma & co
Hey Maz, at 12 noon on Saturday, when it sounds just once (instead of the usual twice) that's just the test! If you go past the fire station at Plimmerton, there is a board in the front telling you what the last call out was for and where - don't know if they have that at every station?!
Aha very interesting, thank you!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:29 pm
you dewty owld maan!

Originally Posted by Maz
Good laugh? Uh... OK... I'm assuming she was also a newbie being made fun of...

mmm..........actually the poster was the person on the end of the joke..........and the assistant could be male, female or whatever............
Fire Service also do quite a few other things that require emergency attendance, like floods, some medical recoveries, kids trapped in railings, etc
Sorry that we are jargonised but that is how these things grow on you.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 6:48 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

We live right opposite the Fire Station and yep that siren is very loud! In fact it recently broke and they had to get a new one. When my parents visited last time we were in the rental down the road and the siren wasn't too loud there but I'll have to warn them about it now we are so close.

OH is one of the volunteers there, his pager usually goes off just a few seconds before the siren sounds.... hes usually the first one there as we live the closest.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

..... ooooer!! Just after I typed this the siren went off!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 9:34 pm

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

The one in Renwick can go off at any time!

I always get the beginning of Frankie Goes to Hollywood "Two Tribes" in my head for hours afterward!