Emergency kits

Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:31 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Emergency kits

Ok so I have:

tins, cup a soups, pet food, water, wind up torch that also has battery charger socket, spare mobile, card games, medicines, plastic bags, toilet rolls, gas cooker, gas canister, tin opener, lighter, matches, sanitiser, wet wipes, female needs, deodorant, knives.

Anything I've missed apart from spare undies/clothes

Also where do you keep yours?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emergency kits

I picked up a chemical toilet from the warehouse - horror stories from the father inlaw having to use the garden before the portaloos turned up, prompted me to buy one. Also have a nice little 2kw invertor generator. (both of which I never want to use and will be happy to let them sit in their boxes).

Photocopies of passports, rechargable batteries, tent?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:39 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Ours is kept in the garage. Need to get new stocks of water in & dried milk powder. We bought a two person backpack which has a very basic tent in it.

My main concern is that I have no idea how much of the house may be destroyed in a disaster. If the garage is destroyed then having our emergency kit in there is a waste of time.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:45 pm
grumpy bugger

theghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond reputetheghostofdustybin has a reputation beyond repute

i have a house with things in, I'm not a student so there is enough food and things in there to keep me going for a while.

I really don't see how a kit helps, where is the best/safest place to keep it, or indeed in all likelihood i wont be at home where the kit is anyway, makes it pointless. Knowing where stuff in your house is so you can find it is worth thinking about though.

The house is still standing after the last 10,000 so i figure it'll cope for the next few. We just have a plan where we will meet if it all goes to pot and a back up if the first place is not possible (obvioulsy not next door to each other!)

This is only my opinion and may well not suit everyone.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:52 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

We're the same as you Ghost of DB, all we've really done since the quakes started is make sure we have a supply of water in the garage. Other than that I keep up the general food and other supplies and know where everything is. We have always had hand sanitiser [left over from our travels] and usually keep enough food in the cupboard anyway- we can live on pasta, rice and baked beans for a few days if necessary

When I say emergency kit for us, it is the water and the knowledge of where the important stuff is.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 12:11 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

We've bits of basic kit stashed in an assortment of places given the possibility one wouldn't be at home . This includes a few days supply of Mr BEVS meds.

Ours is the sort of stuff you carry about a bit in case you breakdown / have accident out in the sticks or go for a tramp.

So 'stuff' is in the sleepout - our house is on a slope & elevated on piles but the sleepout is on level ground .
My car.
His van.

We've water purification tablets here at the house & keep a supply of drinking water about the place & in the vehicles. We started doing that way back as sometimes here there would be the odd day here with no mains ( drinking) water supply. We've got rainwater tanks on the property

We have a plan of where we would try to meet. I now have a pesky mobile phone to keep with me, but I keep forgetting the thing. It is only really for in case of any emergency and has just a few numbers entered into the thing.

We've a basic phone that just plugs into the phone jack & also a clockwork radio which we had anyway . I know where everything is. Not sure if Mr BEVS does. He tends to borrow my memory.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theghostofdustybin
i have a house with things in, I'm not a student so there is enough food and things in there to keep me going for a while.

I really don't see how a kit helps, where is the best/safest place to keep it, or indeed in all likelihood i wont be at home where the kit is anyway, makes it pointless. Knowing where stuff in your house is so you can find it is worth thinking about though.

The house is still standing after the last 10,000 so i figure it'll cope for the next few. We just have a plan where we will meet if it all goes to pot and a back up if the first place is not possible (obvioulsy not next door to each other!)

This is only my opinion and may well not suit everyone.
I'm with you. I think its a sensible idea to think about it a bit if you can - but i think its more important to think - ok - how can I cope if the services get cut off.

If your home is destroyed and your kit is there then you're still stuffed. If you are away from home at the time and you can't get back there to get the kit you're stuffed. In my case - I wouldn't have anywhere to keep it - other than a friends place - and then there is the same risk there.

I'm sure I read somewhere that you need to think about what you need to deal with the first few days following a disaster, where you may not have access to mains water, electricity, and the shops are not open for food.

I'm like others -

I cook a fair bit so I tend to have "store cupboard/pantry" items thus I shouldn't starve for a few days.

I also have some camping stuff - tent, gas stoves and spare gas canisters, so again I'm sorted there.

I don't have water purification stuff which is something that I should probably get as a just in case.

i'm not sure about bottled water - might get one of those massive ones to keep on hand, but I only live in a small flat so not sure where to put it.

On the other hand, I live really close to Mount Eden so to be honest, if anything happens - its more likely to be the volcano blowing up and in that case i'm totally stuffed!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:32 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

I have Wine, Water, tins of stuff, and some plasters
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:35 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Wine!!!! That's what I'm missing. Can't
Believe I didn't remember that!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
Wine!!!! That's what I'm missing. Can't
Believe I didn't remember that!
I was kidding

But i do have, water, torch, tins of stuff, camping stuff including sleeping bags, stove and canisters, first aid, warm clothes and have it located in a shed outisde.
Old Sep 26th 2012, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

I thought you were. Still think its quite an important inclusion! Ha ha. Or maybe vodka....for its sterilisation properties of course!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:02 am

I thought you were. Still think its quite an important inclusion! Ha ha. Or maybe vodka....for its sterilisation properties of course!
Good idea and I'm afraid I never have any wine in my wine rack as it would be gone in a few days!!!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by love30stm
Good idea and I'm afraid I never have any wine in my wine rack as it would be gone in a few days!!!
Ditto!
Old Sep 26th 2012, 6:34 am

Ditto!
on that note think i will pour myself a glass now
Old Sep 26th 2012, 8:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Having been through several versions of weather related problems, power and or hot water off for extended periods I have become a bit of a walking disaster recovery junkie.

Chapter One

In my car I keep a bag that generally contains my instant gym kit, not that I ever go to the gym but I do go to yoga. The clothes get replenished weekly as required, usually in it are socks, top and leggings / trackie bottoms, a fleece and a blanket. I also have toothbrush, toothpaste, deodorant and a few bits which I might even add to, some small amounts of money in case I get stuck somewhere and need money for a bus or whatever, some trainers, a huge umbrella and a coat in case I need to walk home, a first aid kit and a torch also live in the car with the usual tissues, emergency nail file and specs.

I'll write the next chapter in a minute.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.