Ely to Blenheim

Old Apr 14th 2008, 11:08 pm
Stoke City fanatic

nelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond reputenelsonpom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ely to Blenheim

Originally Posted by Sharon005
Hi Darren & all

Great to hear from you.
Once again I know Sutton very well lol and Ely Tesco is still manic. There is a a brand new Sainsbury's in Mildenhall just opened which I like to shop at every other week.

Could I ask whether u used an agent to secure your visa's? and any advice you could offer another 'fennie' would be gratefully received.

I am leaving family & many friends here and hope to return at least x2 per year, though I dont know how realistic this aim is?

Thanks

Sharon
Hi Sharron,
no we didn't use an agent did all forms ourselves. Think you will find most people believe agents to be a waste of money as everything is very do-able. If you get stuck post it on here and someone will know the answer.
If you have lots of money then I sure you can go home as often as you want but it is not a cheap trip especially from NZ may also make it harder to settle if your going back and forth all the time.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi Judy

We were wondering whether to leave everything here or bring it with us, so thanks for the advice to bring everything with us.

Can we bring our TV's out with us? Some books say we can some say we cant. What about white good? fridge /freezer? tumble dryer?

My husband is an aircraft maintenance engineer and I am a social worker (for my sins lol). Hubby has his job offer but I am not looking to work full time until the children are settled.

Speak soon

Sharon
Sorry for delay...... yes TV's we bought 3 with us, the oldest works fine the other 2 newer ones don't work. Anything electical that has 50Hz on works here, didn't bring big white goods cos they were old and we we're having a house built anyway so wanted new..... all food mixers, iron, slow cooker, video/dvd. hifi, computer etc all work fine. Friends bought dishwasher etc all ok.
TIP- bring extention leads.... we have tv, video, dvd plugged into uk extention then just had to change 1 plug....this makes life so much easier when that container arrives and you have hundreds of plugs to change.....

Hope it helps... Judy
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:40 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Genie3
Ok, so whats the reason as to alot of fennies around the top of SI (or so it seems) are you all lifers from the Ely area so to speak!! Lived all my life in and within 5miles of Ely (34yrs)
Have to admit to missing good old Tesco a bit, the food here and the cost just can't beat it!
Hehe - it does seem a bit strange, doesn't it? Yep we're fenland 'lifers' too!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 10:48 am
Forum Regular

Genie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really niceGenie3 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Off2NZ
Hehe - it does seem a bit strange, doesn't it? Yep we're fenland 'lifers' too!
Go on then, where are you from??!! This is getting funny!
Old Apr 15th 2008, 11:07 am
Forum Regular

Off2NZ will become famous soon enoughOff2NZ will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Genie3
Go on then, where are you from??!! This is getting funny!
Isn't it just?!? I've just seen your Fen Tigers post and answered in that one!! But I'll tell you anyway, lol, Soham.
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:27 pm
Just Joined

thedonz has a brilliant futurethedonz has a brilliant futurethedonz has a brilliant futurethedonz has a brilliant futurethedonz has a brilliant futurethedonz has a brilliant future

Hi Squidlley,

Yes i'm at Brough but hopefully not for long with the redundancies. That's why i'm on here looking, just seems a good time to go and with a bit of redundancy money in the back pocket
Old Apr 15th 2008, 6:52 pm
Just Joined

Sharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by beaudixon
Sorry for delay...... yes TV's we bought 3 with us, the oldest works fine the other 2 newer ones don't work. Anything electical that has 50Hz on works here, didn't bring big white goods cos they were old and we we're having a house built anyway so wanted new..... all food mixers, iron, slow cooker, video/dvd. hifi, computer etc all work fine. Friends bought dishwasher etc all ok.
TIP- bring extention leads.... we have tv, video, dvd plugged into uk extention then just had to change 1 plug....this makes life so much easier when that container arrives and you have hundreds of plugs to change.....

Hope it helps... Judy
Hi Judy

Thanks for the advice and tip about bringing extension leads. We will just have to give our flat screen tv to one of the kids to keep here.

What shipping company did you use? and would you recommend them? We have 2 cocker spaniels we need to bring with us too.

Thanks again

Sharon
Old Apr 15th 2008, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Hi Judy

Thanks for the advice and tip about bringing extension leads. We will just have to give our flat screen tv to one of the kids to keep here.

What shipping company did you use? and would you recommend them? We have 2 cocker spaniels we need to bring with us too.

Thanks again

Sharon
Hi Sharon
We used John Mason removals and yes they were fine, full door to door and sensible insurance cover.
We left our cocker spaniel with MIL (he was 14yrs with cancer so not fair to bring him) we did look into it. Cost would have been over £2000 with vets etc and that we nearly 2yrs ago.
Judy
Old Apr 15th 2008, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Hi Judy

Thanks again

Sharon
Sharon.. another coincidence eh!! Hubbys with the same name will be working at the same place and we brought our lovely 2 little cocker spaniels over with Golden Arrow in Shropshire, they were wonderfull!!!
Old Apr 16th 2008, 10:37 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody Hell

Talk about The Brits are Coming!!!!! They'll be no room left here soon

We like Frenchy have been here just over a year. Our kids are 13, 9 and 3. If any of you need ANY help, give us a shout; been there, done that, bought the t shirt and survived to tell the tale.
Old Apr 17th 2008, 6:42 am
Just Joined

Sharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the roughSharon005 is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
Bloody Hell

Talk about The Brits are Coming!!!!! They'll be no room left here soon

We like Frenchy have been here just over a year. Our kids are 13, 9 and 3. If any of you need ANY help, give us a shout; been there, done that, bought the t shirt and survived to tell the tale.
hiya

Wow its lovely to hear from another Brit in Blenheim!!

I have a daughter aged 19 ( hoping to go yo uni in NZ) a daughter aged nearly 13 and a son aged 10 last week! I feel awful taking them away from friends and grannies/grandpa's but know we are doing the right thing in trying to give them a better standard of living.

We are still awaiting all the confirmation and paperwork fro Mark's new employer in Blenheim.

Do you work? I dont really want to work as soon as we arrive but it may look like I may need to so we can buy a house. We have 2 dogs coming with us so it will be difficult for us to rent first.

So many questions... sorry...so nosey! sorry again so many little niggling doubts especially mum laying on me a massive guilt trip at the moment!

great to hear from you in BLenheim, is it a lovely place to live?

Sharon