Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electricity and Telephone Suppliers

Electricity and Telephone Suppliers

Old Jul 1st 2008, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

juliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to alljuliejamesmcgrath is a name known to all
Default Electricity and Telephone Suppliers

Having took the plunge and bought a house here in NZ, I could do with some help on the following.

We get the keys for our house on the 25th July (up to now anyway). I will need an electricity and phone supplier. In the rental we are in at the moment we are with Contact Energy and Telecom. Are they all around the same price.

I have just spoken with my solicitor to see what happens and was told that I will need to sort these out, I not sure who the owners are with at the moment, and I don't know if things are the same out here as they are in the UK when you have bought a house. I know that I will need to get a phone line connected but can I not just carry on with the electricity supplier they already have or is this disconnected when the owner leaves. Back in the UK all we did was give our last reading when we moved out and I gave them the new owners details for when they moved in, so that they were connected.

I know they are daft questions, but I'm not sure who else to ask but you guys.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:37 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity and Telephone Suppliers

Originally Posted by juliejamesmcgrath
Having took the plunge and bought a house here in NZ, I could do with some help on the following.

We get the keys for our house on the 25th July (up to now anyway). I will need an electricity and phone supplier. In the rental we are in at the moment we are with Contact Energy and Telecom. Are they all around the same price.

I have just spoken with my solicitor to see what happens and was told that I will need to sort these out, I not sure who the owners are with at the moment, and I don't know if things are the same out here as they are in the UK when you have bought a house. I know that I will need to get a phone line connected but can I not just carry on with the electricity supplier they already have or is this disconnected when the owner leaves. Back in the UK all we did was give our last reading when we moved out and I gave them the new owners details for when they moved in, so that they were connected.

I know they are daft questions, but I'm not sure who else to ask but you guys.

www.consumer.co.nz is the place to look for who is the best. If you know what your average usage is then try this calculator:

http://www.consumer.org.nz/powerswit...d_gpX0g&bhcp=1

HTH
Old Jul 1st 2008, 6:37 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Doesn't really help with your overall question of who to go with but Contact Energy have this to say regarding moving house:

http://www.contactenergy.co.nz/web/v...ghouse&vert=fh

If you want to look at what mercury energy are saying:
http://www.mercury.co.nz/Residential/movinghouse.aspx

and meridian:
http://www.meridianenergy.co.nz/Your...g/Moving+home/
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:40 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I asked the realator who the current homeowners had their electricity and phone with before we bought our house. I then went online and looked up those companies and compared with others available. We continued with Meridian, the current supplier and went with Telstraclear for phone and broadband rather than Telcom who were the then current supplier. Just emailed both companies to arrange and it was all straightforward. Rang through the elec meter reading on the day we moved in.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 7:13 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

We had our connections in our rental, then transferred the account to our fully paid for () house when we moved in.
The one thing you MUST do is make sure you tell the electric supplier that you want hot water as well....they're two seperate meters.