Reload this Page >

Electricity Supply

Electricity Supply

Old May 11th 2005, 3:17 pm
Forum Regular

NeilB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricity Supply

Hi,

I’m sure this has been asked before (a picture of a socket reminded me), what sort of electricity do they have in NZ.

I guess a variation of the usual sort but what in terms of current and voltage?

The reason for asking (rather presumptuous I’ve only this afternoon sent off the EOI) is what electrical Items to bring if any?

Cheers,

Neil
Old May 11th 2005, 3:37 pm
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity Supply

Originally Posted by NeilB
Hi,

I’m sure this has been asked before (a picture of a socket reminded me), what sort of electricity do they have in NZ.

I guess a variation of the usual sort but what in terms of current and voltage?

The reason for asking (rather presumptuous I’ve only this afternoon sent off the EOI) is what electrical Items to bring if any?

Cheers,

Neil
As far as I'm aware it's the same as UK. All appliances work fine over there except UK TVs (diff no lines or something) so bring everything that isn't knackered. Buy adaptors for plugs in UK as expensive in NZ.
Old May 11th 2005, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

NeilB is an unknown quantity at this point

Cool, thanks that saves another car boot sale in Derby.

Cheers,

Neil
Old May 13th 2005, 11:20 am
BE Enthusiast

BritboyNZ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biddy
As far as I'm aware it's the same as UK. All appliances work fine over there except UK TVs (diff no lines or something) so bring everything that isn't knackered. Buy adaptors for plugs in UK as expensive in NZ.
Hmm, be very careful there. You are allowed in NZ to do basic electrical work (ie change lightbulbs, re-wire plugs) but thats about it.

Using a UK adaptor might cause you problems if your house burnt down, and the cause of the fire was a 'non standard' electrical fitting (ie UK adaptor). You could run into problems insurance wise with the insurance company refusing to cover you. Not worth the risk, IMHO.

Easiest / safest (although more cumbersome) is to chop the UK plug off and wire an NZ plug onto the end. If anyone wants power cables for computer equipment (ie that have a 'kettle lead' or IEC plug on one end and a NZ mains plug on the other) then let me know as we have millions of the damn things at work and would be glad to be rid of a few.

Russ