Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electricians, do you need to re-train, still in demand?

Electricians, do you need to re-train, still in demand?

Old Apr 14th 2009, 3:55 pm
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians, do you need to re-train, still in demand?

Have not found many electricians on here for New Zealand, plenty for Australia. Can any-one tell me what the situation is for electricians at the moment in NZ, do you need to re-train, any chance of job offers before doing the visa? Have done the Australian vettasses & passed but oz is looking kinda grim at the mo, plus other half is a Hair-stylist any news on that side, thanks in advance,
Old Apr 14th 2009, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

alchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of lightalchris is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Electricians, do you need to re-train, still in demand?

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Have not found many electricians on here for New Zealand, plenty for Australia. Can any-one tell me what the situation is for electricians at the moment in NZ, do you need to re-train, any chance of job offers before doing the visa? Have done the Australian vettasses & passed but oz is looking kinda grim at the mo, plus other half is a Hair-stylist any news on that side, thanks in advance,
I think after getting through Vettasse for Oz getting to NZ will be a breeze for you. You will have to get your quals assessed by EWRB, some sparkies on hear have managed to get job offers prior to going, by sitting a health and safety course held in London then once you get a job you can be granted a Provisional licence which will allow you to work supervised. Then once in NZ and working you take the courses which the EWRB have stated you need to do in order to gain a Full licence.
If you search on hear there was a thread recently concerning all you have asked
As for jobs in NZ try looking at seek.co.nz or trademe to get an idea of what is out there.
Good luck
Old Apr 15th 2009, 7:00 am
Account Closed

jasonlec is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by alchris
I think after getting through Vettasse for Oz getting to NZ will be a breeze for you. You will have to get your quals assessed by EWRB, some sparkies on hear have managed to get job offers prior to going, by sitting a health and safety course held in London then once you get a job you can be granted a Provisional licence which will allow you to work supervised. Then once in NZ and working you take the courses which the EWRB have stated you need to do in order to gain a Full licence.
If you search on hear there was a thread recently concerning all you have asked
As for jobs in NZ try looking at seek.co.nz or trademe to get an idea of what is out there.
Good luck
Cheers bud, thanks for your help
Old Apr 15th 2009, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

aalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud ofaalls73 has much to be proud of
Cool Re: Electricians, do you need to re-train, still in demand?

Originally Posted by jasonlec
Hi there, My OH is an Electrician and we moved to NZ in November, we went through the EWRB and were told that he could get a visa on the understanding that he did the H&S course when we arrived which he did a week after arriving....
He also got a job before applying for our visas which the company he was coming over to work for agreed to put him through his H&S and Reg Exams in June, Plenty of jobs out there if you look... If you fancy coming to new Plymouth you could look on...
http://www.taranaki.info/work/hotjobs.php?show=all

if not just try
http://www.seek.co.nz/
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-me-jobs/index.htm and you could also try the Emplyment Agencies in your chossen location..

As for the Hair Stylists they are always advertising for them in New Plymouth..

Good Luck, and hope this helps xxxxxx
Old Apr 17th 2009, 6:34 am
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

you might want to check out some of my posts on this subject, (way to many to repeat), especially the one on wages