Reload this Page >

Electricians 10 yr experience looking to move

Electricians 10 yr experience looking to move

Old Oct 5th 2014, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

DylGriff is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Electricians 10 yr experience looking to move

Hi Anna,

I'm an electrician with 10 years experience and am looking to make the move to New Zealand with my partner as soon as possible. I am about to send my certs and Work Reference to the EWRB to gain a Limited licence (i believe?) and then gain employment before being allowed to apply for a visa? Then doing the required regs and practical exams whilst working in NZ to gain full registration?

I am very confused with the process and feel like a dog chasing it's own tail!!!

I'm not even sure if this thread is still active? I will try and send you my CV regardless.

Thanks
Dylan
Old Oct 5th 2014, 8:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians 10 yr experience looking to move

Hi and welcome to BE, have moved you post into one of its own so you can better keep a track on any responses.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 5:37 am
Just Joined

BucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant futureBucksBoy has a brilliant future

I believe it takes about a year to get NZ qualified, during that time you will have to work for a kiwi electrical company. Be prepared for apprentice wages and the shock of your life when you see what materials cost here.
Old Oct 6th 2014, 9:17 pm
Just Joined

wakeride is an unknown quantity at this point

If you arrange to get over here just before the course you should be able to get registration quiet quick I landed 5 weeks ago and hopefully be regestered by end of nov just got some books to read
Old Oct 8th 2014, 5:24 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by wakeride
If you arrange to get over here just before the course you should be able to get registration quiet quick I landed 5 weeks ago and hopefully be registered by end of nov . Just got some books to read
Quite.

My husband is a tradesman and he did not start on apprentice wages at all. I don't know of any fully qualified overseas tradesmen that had this.
However, he did not get full rate until he upskilled & was au fait with NZ rules. regs and methods.
Old Oct 8th 2014, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

steelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud ofsteelblue has much to be proud of

My hubby was a fully qualified linesman in the UK (line mechanic here). When he started working in NZ, he worked with his company for 2 weeks on 'light duties' before to going on the EWRB course in Mystery Creek, once he'd got his NZ cert he could go on standy by etc and work with the rest of the NZ crews. No hanging around. Very easy.
Old Oct 9th 2014, 5:15 am
mick/caz

mwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond reputemwhite1962 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DylGriff
Hi Anna,

I'm an electrician with 10 years experience and am looking to make the move to New Zealand with my partner as soon as possible. I am about to send my certs and Work Reference to the EWRB to gain a Limited licence (i believe?) and then gain employment before being allowed to apply for a visa? Then doing the required regs and practical exams whilst working in NZ to gain full registration?

I am very confused with the process and feel like a dog chasing it's own tail!!!

I'm not even sure if this thread is still active? I will try and send you my CV regardless.

Thanks
Dylan
Hi Dylan,
You will find all the info on this site regarding what's needed, I even believe there is a reference letter on here that you may use as an example when applying for your limited license.
You can apply for your limited license from the uk, you will need to send in your qualifications and a reference from an employer etc, stating what your experience is over a period of time, I think it may be 400 hrs (but do check on the EWRB website) at this gets sent into EWRB and they will issue a limited license all being well.
the local training company over here are ETCO and they run courses in june and November, its a weeks practical and a weeks theory also you will need to do the nz first aid and electrical safety course, both these take about 4-6 hrs together ETCO can help as they sometimes run it along side the practical course during the evening.
There are companies that will take you on with a limited license and some do pay the going rate but most don't, mainly depends on where you fancy going to and the availability of sparkies.

Anything else I can help, just get in touch.

Mick
Old Oct 16th 2014, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

jshian is an unknown quantity at this point

Is it necessary to get the limited licence for electrician to work in NZ?
Without the licence, even work for few years there also will stay at apprentice wages level?
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:10 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jshian
Is it necessary to get the limited licence for electrician to work in NZ?
Without the licence, even work for few years there also will stay at apprentice wages level?
From reading the EWRB website you have to have some sort of licence

Registration | Electrical Workers Registration Board
Old Nov 21st 2014, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the process of applying for a limited licence for my hubbie but I'm confused as it needs to be signed by a nz registered supervisor. So does that mean he needs to have a job before he can apply for a limited licence? I'm moving over in jan (visas permitting!) but hubbie wants to try and secure work first before giving up paid work here
Old Nov 21st 2014, 9:19 pm
Just Joined

DylGriff is an unknown quantity at this point

I too noticed that on the application form. I'm in the process of filling in my application and would appreciate any help on this matter. Would they accept an application without a supervisor signature and grant some sort of provisional license prior to securing work. I worry if I leave the section blank, having no work secured they will just send it back and I will have lost a few weeks in the process!

Thanks
Dylan
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:14 pm

have you guys had your qualifications accessed?

Recognition of overseas qualifications | Electrical Workers Registration Board
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 12:15 am
Forum Regular

Chel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond reputeChel42uk has a reputation beyond repute

not yet Mrs F, we're trying to apply for the limited licence and then he can sit the exams there. reading that link, we don't need to get the quals assessed at this stage. but i may be mistaken

this is the page we've been working to

Limited certificates | Electrical Workers Registration Board

i'm finding this part a lot more confusing than the actual visa applications!
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 12:31 am

I don't think you can get a any type of licence until you have an employer ready to support you in getting the licences. My understanding is you have to register with EWRB to get your existing qualifications assessed and then they tell you what exams/courses you then need to do before you can start to work over here.

Going to have a search round the forum to see if I can find any other threads on this
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 12:35 am

from reading that Limited Licence link it looks like that is for someone who has offer of employment and so has someone who is willing to Supervisor all works?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.