Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!!

Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 25th 2008, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

robdee has a spectacular aura aboutrobdee has a spectacular aura aboutrobdee has a spectacular aura about
Default Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!!

hello one and all, the name is rob and me and my wife julie are on our way out to wellington in a few months(maybe less fingers crossed) ive had my skills assesed by the ERWB and thay have agreed to give me a provisonal lisence as long as i do the safety tranning and get an employer to sign for me.(only problem is i dont have an employer yet!!!!!!) i dont have time to do the safety tranning in london so i'll have to do it when i get to welly. can anyone recomend somewhere that i could do this.. any help would be fantastic

rob
Old Mar 25th 2008, 8:40 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electrician on the way! need help!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by robdee View Post
hello one and all, the name is rob and me and my wife julie are on our way out to wellington in a few months(maybe less fingers crossed) ive had my skills assesed by the ERWB and thay have agreed to give me a provisonal lisence as long as i do the safety tranning and get an employer to sign for me.(only problem is i dont have an employer yet!!!!!!) i dont have time to do the safety tranning in london so i'll have to do it when i get to welly. can anyone recomend somewhere that i could do this.. any help would be fantastic

rob
http://www.ewrb.govt.nz/content/training.html
and
http://www.energysafety.govt.nz/
will help........to start with.
I know the man that does it in London very well, also I know a couple of the providers in the north of NI (ie Auckland and Northland) don't know anyone who does it in Wellington, but they should all be up to snuff as the industry is regulated pretty tightly here.

Last edited by lardyl; Mar 25th 2008 at 8:42 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2008, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of

Rob

My OH is also an electrician. Do you mind me asking if you have to do any of the practical or theory exams in NZ? Some qualifications make you exempt from the theory exam but how about the practical?. We are waiting on a replacement certificate from C&G and a reference from our NICEIC inspector and then can apply to EWRB. Any advice on what you sent to ERWB would be greatly received. We have looked at the safety course and it is under $100 for the half day course, but my OH is signing up to do it in London with Nick Chandler.

Well done on the licence!
Old Mar 27th 2008, 1:47 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Suzbits View Post
...Nick Chandler...
top man Nick, and a good friend/counselor for me
Old Mar 27th 2008, 5:59 pm
Just Joined

robdee has a spectacular aura aboutrobdee has a spectacular aura aboutrobdee has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Suzbits View Post
Rob

My OH is also an electrician. Do you mind me asking if you have to do any of the practical or theory exams in NZ? Some qualifications make you exempt from the theory exam but how about the practical?. We are waiting on a replacement certificate from C&G and a reference from our NICEIC inspector and then can apply to EWRB. Any advice on what you sent to ERWB would be greatly received. We have looked at the safety course and it is under $100 for the half day course, but my OH is signing up to do it in London with Nick Chandler.

Well done on the licence!
hi suzbits unfortunatly the answer is yes they want me to do the stage 3 of the electricians trainning and sit the regs exam!!. where did you hear about the saftey course i need to get that sorted (especialy for $100) the course in london is £300 big diference if you ask me!!!! also i couldnt get a place on it until july and im looking to be there for then.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by lardyl View Post
top man Nick, and a good friend/counselor for me
hi lardyl

thanks for the web links. big help quite a few places in wellington to get the safty course done should'nt have a problem with that now.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:49 pm
you dewty owld maan!

hi lardyl

thanks for the web links. big help quite a few places in wellington to get the safty course done should'nt have a problem with that now.
I do know a good electrical engineer (works for SKM, Consulting Engineers) down there and could ask him who he would use if you like, but he ain't a sparky.......
Old Mar 27th 2008, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

that would be fantastic could you also ask if he knows any contractors that would be interested takeing me on!

thank again rob
Old Mar 27th 2008, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Suzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud ofSuzbits has much to be proud of

Rob

I got the details of the course from Christchurch Poly, 1/2 day running one course each month during the academic year. That is definately the cheaper one of the exams that need to be done. My OH is going on the course with Nick in London, as having spoken to someon who attended the last course he spends a lot of time going over bits relating to EWRB, working over in NZ etc, so for us it is worth spending the extra money to 'pick his brain' for the day.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 10:52 am
you dewty owld maan!

that would be fantastic could you also ask if he knows any contractors that would be interested takeing me on!

thank again rob
hi mate will give him a call at the end of the week as I have to send him some marketing stuff.....you still interested?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

hi mate will give him a call at the end of the week as I have to send him some marketing stuff.....you still interested?
yes definitely! i know its a long shot but im just not getting any feedback from any of the companies that i've sent my CV to so far. i dont think anyones interested until you in the country! did you have the same problem?.

once again thanks for your help.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 8:02 pm
you dewty owld maan!

yes definitely! i know its a long shot but im just not getting any feedback from any of the companies that i've sent my CV to so far. i dont think anyones interested until you in the country! did you have the same problem?.

once again thanks for your help.
ah....not a sparky myself just have to work very closely with many of the trainers on matters electrical......
will try to speak to Steve at the end of the week, last time though he was off to the islands and took 2 weeks to get a decent chat!
But he's a good scouser, still got the banter after 15 years here!!
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:03 pm
Just Joined

ah....not a sparky myself just have to work very closely with many of the trainers on matters electrical......
will try to speak to Steve at the end of the week, last time though he was off to the islands and took 2 weeks to get a decent chat!
But he's a good scouser, still got the banter after 15 years here!!
all good! thanks for helping let me know how it goes